RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 Nav Disc Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-09, 09:00 AM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RX350 Nav Disc Change

I have an '07 RX350 and considering updating the version of nav to the 8.1 from the existing 5.1. Has anyone accomplished this? If so the instructions you followed would be greatly appreciated. I have the instrucions for an ES350 but cannot locate them for the RX.
Old 06-09-09, 11:00 AM
Meadow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the update Discs?
Old 06-09-09, 04:08 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

The nav dvd reader is in the back cargo area under the tool tray. raise the carpet, pull out the plastic pins holding the tray in place, pull the tire tool tray out and the navi is right out in the open underneath. push the eject button to get the old disk out and just feed in the new dvd like you would any other machine.

If you have been using the secret touch screen sequence to get to the menu that allows navi address input while in motion (it's a hidden feature on dvd v5), you will lose that. It does not exist on later dvds. There are many threads on alternatives.
Old 06-09-09, 06:11 PM
donmatt
Driver

Meadow,
No I have not purchased the disc yet as I wasn't sure how to install it.
Thanks for the input. Really appreciate it.
Old 06-10-09, 08:41 AM
donmatt
Driver

Originally Posted by ecount00
The nav dvd reader is in the back cargo area under the tool tray. raise the carpet, pull out the plastic pins holding the tray in place, pull the tire tool tray out and the navi is right out in the open underneath. push the eject button to get the old disk out and just feed in the new dvd like you would any other machine.

If you have been using the secret touch screen sequence to get to the menu that allows navi address input while in motion (it's a hidden feature on dvd v5), you will lose that. It does not exist on later dvds. There are many threads on alternatives.
Greg,
Your instructions are outstanding. Just got around to checking them out and once I finally removed the tool tray; there it is. Haven't purchased the disc yet. Waiting for a deal. Ha Ha Thanks so very much. These forums are so great and full of information. Members like you that are willing to share is what makes it. Thanks again.
Don
Old 06-10-09, 08:52 AM
Meadow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by donmatt
Greg,
Your instructions are outstanding. Just got around to checking them out and once I finally removed the tool tray; there it is. Haven't purchased the disc yet. Waiting for a deal. Ha Ha Thanks so very much. These forums are so great and full of information. Members like you that are willing to share is what makes it. Thanks again.
Don
Your right about that....Thank you!

Let me know if you find a deal on the Discs. I am looking too.
Old 06-10-09, 08:57 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the same way even for my 2004 RX330.
Old 06-11-09, 02:12 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Happy to help. I got a lot of great info when I started here so try to pay it forward whenever I can.

You can check ebay and even craig's list for dvds. Two pieces of advice. 1. be sure you are getting a factory original, not a copy (as sure as you can be). 2. be sure you get the right version for your hardware. for example nav dvd v 8 is made in generation 3, 4 or 5 and you need to get the right version, depending on the year of your car. Whatever map dvd version you buy (7, 8 etc) be sure to get the copy made for your generation of hardware. 2007 RX 350 is generation 5 hardware.

Last edited by ecount00; 06-11-09 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-09-09, 03:10 PM
Alex_G
Driver School Candidate

Default NAVI generation of hardware

ecount00

hello, can you help me to find out wich generation of hardware (NAVI) i have in my RX300 year 2004. I just bought the car and i did not get any user manuals that i can use,.. only Italian wich i don't understand.

Thanky you!!!

Alex_G
Old 07-09-09, 07:17 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

The 2004 RX300 is generation 3. (I belive by then generation 2 and 3 were interchangable, sometimes designated as 2/3)

The 2005 RX330 changed to generation 4.
Old 07-09-09, 11:42 PM
Alex_G
Driver School Candidate

Any possible way that i can get updated maps for this gen 3? Or i'm stuck with no maps for my country .

Thank you!

Alex_G
Old 07-10-09, 04:09 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure where you live. For the USA, bottom line, no matter how old your navi is, you should be able to find updated maps. But with an older system, it will be harder to find other than a dealer.

Check in ebay or Craig's list. Dealer parts dept will have them too if you want compare $. The map dvds come in versions by year, the latest being dvd v8 (2008). Maybe you'll find one for your car there, mayb not. worth a look.

It's possible they quit making the current dvds for older navis but I'm not aware of that. Quick call to a dealer parts dept would confirm that. Assuming you can buy v 8 for any generation machine, it's important to get the one right for your car. if you buy ebay, be sure to look closely to see you are getting a factory original not a copy. reputable sellers will usually say it's original. You can look find dvd 7 (2007) or maybe even dvd 6 online. less current will be cheaper of course. dealer will likely only have the latest disc.

whatever disc year you choose, be sure to get the gen 2/3 version.

Here is an example for the 2004 disc. I don't endorse the seller. Dont know anything about them. But is an example of what i mean. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03...fAudioQ5fVideo

You may need to check with a local dealer for an non USA disc.

Last edited by ecount00; 07-10-09 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-20-09, 02:45 PM
FLASH98SC3
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys....Lexus posts available Nav Updates on their website GO TO Lexus.com click Vehicle Resources click Navigation Maps.........a whole list of all the latest is shown. Most are priced at $199.00. I just bought one for my wife's 2007 RX350 and will install tomorrow VIA above instructions. Looks easy enough will let you know if not.
Old 12-11-12, 11:53 AM
fw1
Rookie

Default trunk tool tray

Originally Posted by ecount00

I managed to take out the plastic pins but the tray still seems stuck. Do I brute-force it out? I'm trying not to break anything.
Old 12-11-12, 12:41 PM
fw1
Rookie

Default found the navi disc location

found answer to my own question here's what I did for my 2008 rx350 to get to the navi disc drive:

Lift the cargo carpet -- there are 3 of them and the largest one is where the tools are stored below it. Once carpet is lifted, look for a rectangular cover (about 1inch by 6inches) on the right-hand corner. Push on the 2 tiny levers on top of the cover to get it slightly ajar and pull it upwards to reveal the opening to the navi disc drive. Attached is picture of what it looks like with the opening.

The rest of the work should be straightforward. Hit the Push button on the drive to remove the existing disc and insert the new one - the vehicle should be turned on (engine need not be running) to do this step.
Attached Thumbnails RX350 Nav Disc Change-navigation-disc-location.jpg  

Quick Reply: RX350 Nav Disc Change