RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 RX400h... Already rusting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-09, 05:02 PM
LinDarLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2008 RX400h... Already rusting?

We bought our 08 RX400h back in March last year. We noticed that on the hood near the grill there are stone chips. While I am aware that stone chips are not covered under warranty (since its basically inevitable) what I can not understand is how the car could already be starting to rust? There are bubbles just under the paint around the chips with a nice ring of rust around the chip as well as the chip itself. My front hood, and both front door panels are victim of this. I am taking it in to the dealership where we purchased it to have them look it over but I'm not holding my breath. I did call in to the warranty to see what I could expect from them and they suggested that maybe I purchase some touch up paint...I'm sure glad my car payment is nearly 1,000$ a month. Rust is inevitable too but not at 1 y.o. Atleast thats my opinion.

Also, Before we bought our Lexus we had a 2003 Toyota Tacoma which we had purchased new back in 2003. There were several stone chips in the hood and the truck never rusted. Also! we bought a 99 Audi A4 back in 1999 and once again it had stone chips but didn't start to rust until about 2006-2007. I'm curious if anyone else has had issues with.. well... I guess we could call it "premature rusting"?
Old 03-20-09, 08:19 PM
andaco2002
Driver School Candidate

I have heard different people say that Lexus paint is softer than most in the industry, but I am not sure how accurate that statment is. I do know, however, that bare metal will start to rust overnight and contine to grow. Perhaps the rocks that hit your car not only chipped the paint, but also made it all the way through the primer as well due to the softer paint. This might cause it to seem to rust prematurely compared with your other vehicles. Just a thought...but I think you are doing the right thing by going to see if the dealer will help.
Old 03-20-09, 11:07 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

go to your local automotive store, ask for "navel jelly," dab it on and wait a couple minutes. it will remove the rust. then have that touch up paint handy!
Old 03-21-09, 05:38 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

When you have stone chips, be erady to dab touch up paint. It is what it is. If the dealer is nice, they will do something for you, now that's the test. Will they do you good or not.
Old 03-21-09, 05:57 AM
meowmix52
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mandyfig
When you have stone chips, be erady to dab touch up paint. It is what it is. If the dealer is nice, they will do something for you, now that's the test. Will they do you good or not.
Yup sometimes they do simple touch-up paint for you for free, sometimes you don't even need to argue, but a little "push" is necessary .

Be sure to do it quick! Rust spreads really fast.
Old 03-21-09, 06:13 AM
LinDarLex
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your guys responses. Is this normal for Lexus, I mean after a year? I feel like that is what they will tell me and if that is the case Im certainly feeling like they have a severe quality misperception. I'm thinking touch up paint is going to be a bi yearly issue just to keep it from spreading. =(
Old 03-21-09, 04:11 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LinDarLex
Thanks for your guys responses. Is this normal for Lexus, I mean after a year? I feel like that is what they will tell me and if that is the case Im certainly feeling like they have a severe quality misperception. I'm thinking touch up paint is going to be a bi yearly issue just to keep it from spreading. =(
I think your expectations are unrealistic.

ANY vehicle with Stone chips that go through to the metal will rust.

When you notice a stone chip you should treat it an touch it up immediately. That will ensure that "tin worm" doesn't start to take hold.
Old 03-21-09, 07:49 PM
tshelly
Rookie

I think the rusting depends where you live. I live in Central California and we have a 2002 Lexus ES300 that we purchased in 2001. We have had paint chips on the hood for the last 4 years. These went all the way to the metal. We have never fixed them. No rust at all.

If you live in a more humid climate or along the East or West coast I think you will get more rust.
Old 03-21-09, 08:55 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LinDarLex
We bought our 08 RX400h back in March last year. We noticed that on the hood near the grill there are stone chips. While I am aware that stone chips are not covered under warranty (since its basically inevitable) what I can not understand is how the car could already be starting to rust? There are bubbles just under the paint around the chips with a nice ring of rust around the chip as well as the chip itself. My front hood, and both front door panels are victim of this. I am taking it in to the dealership where we purchased it to have them look it over but I'm not holding my breath. I did call in to the warranty to see what I could expect from them and they suggested that maybe I purchase some touch up paint...I'm sure glad my car payment is nearly 1,000$ a month. Rust is inevitable too but not at 1 y.o. Atleast thats my opinion.

Also, Before we bought our Lexus we had a 2003 Toyota Tacoma which we had purchased new back in 2003. There were several stone chips in the hood and the truck never rusted. Also! we bought a 99 Audi A4 back in 1999 and once again it had stone chips but didn't start to rust until about 2006-2007. I'm curious if anyone else has had issues with.. well... I guess we could call it "premature rusting"?
We have owned a 2004 RX and now have a 2007 RX. Both have had paint chips in the front. We have never had that problem in the past with other cars. Thankfully we have not had any rust.
Yes, Lexus does have very soft paint according to the fellow at the bodyshop which handles their work. Our dealership has fixed the chips on each car with no charge and without question.
Old 03-21-09, 09:00 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Same thing with our rx 350. We wash it regularly and garage it. Neither our 2001 es or lx have rust from stone chips and are about 7 years older with much less chips. It is not unrealistic to have them fix it under warranty because it shouldn't happen. It is underneath the paint, rusting in some places where there isn't even a chip
Old 03-22-09, 04:03 PM
LinDarLex
Driver School Candidate

I had an appt on Saturday with the Service Dept at the Dealership where we purchased the vehicle. While waiting for our appointment we met up with the salesman that sold us the vehicle. We showed him the car and our concerns and he stated that he "had never seen this before" and that " all lexus vehicles have two coats of primer and two coats of paint". We didn't end up being serviced that Day because the gentleman that was supposed to be looking over our vehicle was not in and he was the only one that had the authority to inspect the vehicle. I was a little dissapointmented by this miscommunication since we had driven 25 miles to the dealership. We have another service appt for 7:45pm tomorrow night and hopefully we will get an answer to our concerns.

On top of the rust issue. Our Mark Levinson sound system speakers in the passenger side door panel are now rattling. Yet another dissapointment.

Harleydjce: I do not believe my expectations are too high. We paid 60,000$ for this car exactly 1 year ago. I have owned new vehicles before and have experienced stone chips. I have never within a year experienced an issue like this. I would think it to be sad if this is the type of quality 60,000$ buys you these days. I'd rather own a KIA if that's the case and save my money.
Old 03-22-09, 04:41 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I've had tiny stone chips on my RX300 and no noticeable rust until I got back to Florida. I figure the high altitude, low oxygen environment in Mexico City did some good there.
Old 03-22-09, 04:47 PM
LXLUTHR
Lead Lap

Paint quality has gone down with newer cars.
Old 03-22-09, 04:49 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think the question of how high or how low your expectations are is the question. The focus here is that due to a rock chip, which was left untreated and exposed to the elements, you hood is now starting to rust. The fact that the hood IS rusting tells several things. 1. The impact of the rock was VERY HARD; hard enough to pass thru the paint,clearcoat, and all the way down to the bare metal. 2. Very little attention was paid to it, and now rust is forming. Rust, if left untreated will form and spread from a number of ways. Living in MI, you state is subject to ALOT of rain, harsh winters, frequent weather changes, and to add to this fact to combat the harsh winters ALOT of salt/liquid ice melt on the poorly maintained roads/highways. Although I live in MD, I drive tractor trailers thru the MI area all the time so I am VERY familiar with the conditions up there and not just talking out of my head. ANY metal which is left exposed to the elements will eventually rust in time. In your area with the accelerated conditions of snow removal along with the salt/liquid melter solution that your state uses to melt the snow, this stuff will play havoc with the paint job of ANY car let alone one with exposed metal which has not been treated. I hope that there is something that can be done which can be mutually agreed upon by both of you to resolve this issue.
Old 03-22-09, 05:44 PM
LinDarLex
Driver School Candidate

Once again... I have lived in Michigan my whole life...We have owned five new cars in the last 7 years. An 99 audi, A 03 toyota tacoma, an 03 Honda s2000, an 03 Acura (which traveled back and forth from michigan to new york several times a year and twice in the winter time), and now the 08 Lexus. I have never had to repair any stone chip damage or for that fact worry about rust with the other cars. Even though I was aware that there were stone chips. The older cars went through several terrible winters. The Toyota truck was never in the garage during the winter nor was the Audi. Yet... they never rusted especially not in the first year. This past winter was not our worst and our Lexus was in the garage and well cared for as well as maintained. One month ago we had our 15,000 mile check up at the dealership and they inspected the body. There was no mention of the rust. WE didn't even notice the rust until last week. It is so small it's not even funny. The spots that is. First there is a decent size spot that draws your attention and then when you start to really examine the body you see all these little pin ***** spots of rust. However, It is EVERYWHERE. My passenger door panel, My hood, and my hatch in the back around my license plate. How do you get stone chips in the back of your car?

As soon as we found the problem we took the steps to take care of it. The car has been serviced at 5,000 miles on 6/23/08, 10,000 miles on 10/23/08 and 15,000 miles on 2/26/09

I have pictures and as soon as I figure out how to upload them I will post them.

Quick Reply: 2008 RX400h... Already rusting?