RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

*MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 07:25 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking headlight replaced, good will

Just got my passenger side HL replaced under one time good will from Lexus care. I had the condensation issue with the light, just started about a month ago. I am out of factory warranty but thought my Lexus Platinum 7 year 75K bumper to bumper that I purchased when I bought the RX new would cover it. I was repeatedly told no that it didn't cover lamps or light bulbs. My argument was that it was a housing not a light or lamp as all the lights still worked. Any ways to make a long story shorter Lexus care gave me the light assy free and I paid for 1 hour labor at the dealer, $150. All is well now.
Old 05-03-12, 11:51 AM
HTSHOW
Driver School Candidate

Hi jgr7
i got the same problem with my rx400h on the right side headlight too. And i am just out of factory warranty , any way, after argument with lexus corporation , they finally agreed to replace the light assy free and i paid for the labor cost at the dealer, what the pain we have to go through huh, it was their defective light, and we have to pay.
Htshow
Old 07-04-12, 03:42 PM
lexusMnl
Driver School Candidate

i have a problem too with my lexus is300 2011 ..the drivers side fog lamp has condensation...I will call lexus for a replacement since i still have 2 years of warranty..I hope they replace it..dont see a reason why not.
Old 07-05-12, 04:41 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

When you take it to them make sure that there is condensation in the light or they might not do it for you at that time. That was done to me on my RX330 . Had to take it back to them on another day when it did have condensation on the inside then they had to order me one. Three trips to the jerks but the work was done right and never had another problem out of them. The SA told me that if the condensation stay in the light for more than 10 minutes with the lights on then they would change it out if not then nothing was wrong with it. Who would have tunkit.
Old 07-06-12, 09:43 AM
Moe
Driver School Candidate

I am going to have both headlight replaced next week, but the question is: will the new headlights will have same issue again after few years. in other word did Lexus fix this problem or still going with replacement parts as well, my car is 09 RX350 and has 54K
Old 10-27-12, 05:01 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Bump...for those who have the same issue...
Old 10-27-12, 05:07 AM
mandyfig

This sealing on the top is the quickest solution.

Rainwater runs down through the top of our headlamps, if there is a leak, water gets into the chamber. If it is a substantial amount, it can not evaporate quickly and therefore will turn into condensation with certain temperature and humidity combination.

Hence on clear sunny days when it is hot and humidity is low, your condensation goes away.

Originally Posted by willdogg
After two storms and a couple car washes, both headlamps are dry. Even the passenger side is dry (which I did not remove, I just did ran a bead of sealant along the top edge).

So just sealing the top edge might be good enough for fixing the moisture.
Old 10-27-12, 11:36 AM
captaincru
Rookie

My '07 RX350 is showing signs of headlamps leaking. We still have a few months left on an extended warranty. Will be going to the dealer soon!
Old 10-27-12, 11:45 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by captaincru
My '07 RX350 is showing signs of headlamps leaking. We still have a few months left on an extended warranty. Will be going to the dealer soon!
Make sure that either you run it through the car wash before you go or have them do so to ensure they can see water in the glass.
Old 10-27-12, 02:03 PM
captaincru
Rookie

RX330inFL:

Do you think they will replace the headlight, or just put some sealer on it?

How do you get the water out and dry it inside?
Old 10-27-12, 05:17 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by captaincru
RX330inFL:

Do you think they will replace the headlight, or just put some sealer on it?

How do you get the water out and dry it inside?
First, you have to prove there is a problem. Why I mentioned the car wash. Usually the problem is most visible after a car wash. They are designed to eventually drain and dry out. Does not always work this way.

Then, once they see the problem you have to convince them to replace them under warranty. They may just claim that it is normal. They may only replace one. Be calm, but be firm that you want to this problem addressed. They will not just seal them. They will replace. As a matter of fact, there is nothing to say that the new ones will not leak either.

If you get them to replace one or both then you can worry afterwards about resealing them as mandyfig has posted previous.
Old 10-28-12, 10:25 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i..i needed this. thanks
Old 10-31-12, 03:05 PM
mandyfig

When you take your car in to the dealer, they will check for signs of an accident, or something that will tell them that the the cause of the seal failure was an impact and not a defect.

Beware as in be aware.

I had a slight fender bender and show some sign of paint crimple and based on that my claim was denied. With only 3 months outside the months warranty, but well within the mileage warranty. Sucked. But found the solution. All is well.
Old 12-31-12, 09:24 AM
rxpx40
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but found this while searching for 'how to remove the headlight assembly.' Being in Central Texas, we don't have a condensation problem on my wife's '04 RX330 and it does *not* have the HID headlamps. I am replacing her passenger side low beam. The cover is a bear to remove since I have pretty large meathooks and cannot seem to rotate that cover off easily. Also- the headlamp cover plastic is starting to craze and fog due to sun damage. I will be removing the headlight assembly to polish up that plastic cover. Without removing the bumper cover those two 10mm bolts on the top of the headlight assembly deceptively look as the only hardware holding the assembly in place. From your write-up it has become apparent I am going to have to schedule this project for a long weekend.
Thanks for the DIY! great job.
Chris
Old 12-31-12, 05:40 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rxpx40
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but found this while searching for 'how to remove the headlight assembly.' Being in Central Texas, we don't have a condensation problem on my wife's '04 RX330 and it does *not* have the HID headlamps. I am replacing her passenger side low beam. The cover is a bear to remove since I have pretty large meathooks and cannot seem to rotate that cover off easily. Also- the headlamp cover plastic is starting to craze and fog due to sun damage. I will be removing the headlight assembly to polish up that plastic cover. Without removing the bumper cover those two 10mm bolts on the top of the headlight assembly deceptively look as the only hardware holding the assembly in place. From your write-up it has become apparent I am going to have to schedule this project for a long weekend.
Thanks for the DIY! great job.
Chris
I just did this job today. I was going to hold off until spring, but with HID's, I was worried about the ballast. I found this AWESOME tutorial this morning and was so happy to have so much info and pictures. I removed the headlight assembly in about 30 minutes, then spend about 3 hours taking it apart inside the house (it was 10 degrees this morning here in NH), drying it out, cleaning all the white powder off the ballast housing (from aluminum corrosion), and then blowing it all out with compressed air and sealing the seams with silicone sealant. It took an hour to put it back in and all is well. HID still works (I was worried with all the corrosion and moisture) and all the water is out of it. Now I know how to remove the ballast, so if it now goes, I can easily get one on ebay for $100 and put it in. Now I don't worry about HID's as much (and man do I love them).

Quick Reply: *MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)