RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

*MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-11, 11:37 PM
skeeter281
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I have the same problem as everyone else with the HID headlights getting moisture and it shorted out my ballast. Lexus was nice enough to try to charge me $3000 to fix it so I will be doing it myself and I will seal my headlights at the same time. When ordering the ballast, is there any difference in parts between the AFS vs non-AFS? I don't want to order the part, rip my car apart, only to find that the wiring harnesses are not the same or something. Thanks for your helpful DIY.
Old 08-15-11, 09:30 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by frankeysd
"Touchless" car wash are the culprit on headlight condensation, it kind thrust dampness inside the assembly. I stop going to these type of car wash and haven't had any condensation. They are not water tight!!!
Yes car wash is one, rain is the other. When I was debugging this issue, the water from the hood runs into the gap and will run off through the channel and end up on top of the headlamp.
Old 08-15-11, 10:39 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Yes car wash is one, rain is the other. When I was debugging this issue, the water from the hood runs into the gap and will run off through the channel and end up on top of the headlamp.
Mine was due to rain, not car wash. Had several days of very hard rains.
Old 08-15-11, 12:10 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Mine was due to rain, not car wash. Had several days of very hard rains.
Did you get yours re-sealed?
Old 08-15-11, 12:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Did you get yours re-sealed?
No, not yet. Too many other items on my plate at the moment to deal with something that is a vehicle/manufacturer defect, IMHO.

[ARE YOU LISTENING TOYOTA/LEXUS?]

Takes a bit of a drive to get to a shop to get some sealant for this job. Will wait until my next run for supplies. Any suggestions for product to use?
Old 08-15-11, 12:47 PM
mandyfig

Your typical automotive silicone sealant will do. Get the clear color obviously.
Old 08-15-11, 01:01 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Your typical automotive silicone sealant will do. Get the clear color obviously.
Thank you kind sir. I usually check Advance Auto Parts to see what they have on the shelf as I can order online for pickup and there are usually a handful of discount codes to use. Walmart also have some on the shelf depending on what you are looking for and are not too particular. I used Permatex when I did my window trim, so will go that route again. Just a pain getting a proper bead out of the tube.
Old 08-15-11, 01:32 PM
mandyfig

Permatex is good. That's what I used. Dump a lot of the seal, no worries on bead size.
Old 09-12-11, 10:33 AM
dephij
Driver School Candidate

My mechanic suggested drilling a couple of holes in the bottom of the headlight assembly to deal with the condensation. Has anyone tried this? Results?

Also, I'm dealing with a fried balast and my RX330 is no longer under warranty. Can anyone who was in the same position but got Lexus to replace the part/parts comment on what they said/did to have it covered?

BTW a class action lawsuit was filed in November 2010: http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/12/01/ToyotaCA.pdf
Old 09-19-11, 07:27 AM
frankeysd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dephij
My mechanic suggested drilling a couple of holes in the bottom of the headlight assembly to deal with the condensation. Has anyone tried this? Results?

Also, I'm dealing with a fried balast and my RX330 is no longer under warranty. Can anyone who was in the same position but got Lexus to replace the part/parts comment on what they said/did to have it covered?

BTW a class action lawsuit was filed in November 2010: http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/12/01/ToyotaCA.pdf
I had mine replaced by the dealer and also out of warranty. Take pictures of the damages the water had caused, write a formal letter describing what had caused the leaking water had done to your ballast and headlamp and send or email them to Toyota customer corporate HQ in Torrance, California.

Goodluck!
Old 09-21-11, 09:28 AM
JZS147btr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus114
$1450.00??
Go to your local Porsche dealership and ask them how much a replacement HID headlight housing unit is for a 996/911. I suggest you wear some adult diapers before going though cuz you're gonna crap your pants.

These things are just not cheap and since it's a safety issue, I think the manufacturers should have longer warranties on the light housings (not the bulb/ballast). The warranty on them should match the transmission warranty. It's not the consumer's fault that the manf. used low quality sealant. If there was an upgrade option to use high grade aerospace quality sealant, I know I'd pay the cost difference for it as it couldn't be more than few dollars.
Old 10-08-11, 05:07 AM
mandyfig

A few years later the seal is holding up. Have not seen condensation. Lexus should have addressed this issue. It is becoming a black eye.
Old 01-10-12, 07:08 PM
RobF15E
Driver School Candidate

Default Moisture in Headlight Assembly

I have quite a bit of moisture in both of my 08 RX400h headlight assemblies. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, have you had any success removing it and keeping it out? During the day it will dry up, but it returns at night. I just received the car from Tx, so I am hoping if I open up the assembly and blow some warm dry air in, I can displace the moist air that is currently in there. Don't know if it will be a long term fix. Is it difficult to get to the bulbs to remove them? I still have tons to learn about this vehicle. Thanks

PS I posted it here as I assume the headlight assemblies are the same for all the second generation RXs.
Old 01-10-12, 08:17 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RobF15E
I have quite a bit of moisture in both of my 08 RX400h headlight assemblies. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, have you had any success removing it and keeping it out? During the day it will dry up, but it returns at night. I just received the car from Tx, so I am hoping if I open up the assembly and blow some warm dry air in, I can displace the moist air that is currently in there. Don't know if it will be a long term fix. Is it difficult to get to the bulbs to remove them? I still have tons to learn about this vehicle. Thanks

PS I posted it here as I assume the headlight assemblies are the same for all the second generation RXs.
Yes, discussed quite extensively. Plenty of threads. Photo of mine is included in the following URL:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ure-issue.html

I believe mandyfig has even posted a potential fix guide. Look at page two of the above URL.
Old 01-11-12, 03:11 AM
mandyfig

Yup, plenty of posts on this issue.

Quick Reply: *MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)