RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

*MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 07:57 PM
willdogg
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

So is your headlamp still dry??
After two storms and a couple car washes, both headlamps are dry. Even the passenger side is dry (which I did not remove, I just did ran a bead of sealant along the top edge).

So just sealing the top edge might be good enough for fixing the moisture.
Attached Thumbnails *MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)-sealed_headlamp.jpg  
Old 03-14-11, 09:15 AM
frankeysd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about the "Ballast"

Originally Posted by willdogg
After two storms and a couple car washes, both headlamps are dry. Even the passenger side is dry (which I did not remove, I just did ran a bead of sealant along the top edge).

So just sealing the top edge might be good enough for fixing the moisture.
Thanks for the method or trick on the condensation problem however there's another problem that all RX330 2006 model, I'm not sure of the rest of RX330 models. The "Ballast Chamber" is very succeptible to water and the "Seal" that suppose to protect it from water is failing due to shrinkage of the seal and water gets in and corrodes and destroy the ballast. The Ballast is located at the very bottom of the headlight assembly which is very vulnerable and susceptible to water from car wash and rainy season.

cheers!
Old 03-14-11, 09:19 AM
frankeysd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VAttorney
So is your headlamp still dry??
Yes, but it destroyed and damaged the ballast.
Old 03-14-11, 09:38 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

The DIY that I posted was for the headlamp itself since I had a non-HID set up. Yes the ballast is an issue I have read a lot of.
Old 04-19-11, 03:15 PM
petroiii
Driver School Candidate

Good one! Thanks for posting this. The same thing happened to my 2007 RX400h passenger side, and fried the ballast and bulb. I just had the two replaced, and I will do this to prevent any future episodes. Can't wait to DIY it this weekend. I do visit the carwash quite a bit, I like my cars nice and clean!

Mandyfig, two years and still no condensation? Fantastic!
Old 04-20-11, 01:55 PM
Boognish
Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
08's are good. Just the same, check your head lamps when it is raining. When you wash your car, etc. Some people have blasted the head lamp with high pressure washer...and then check.

When you are close to the warranty date, do some checking.
Not my '08. The passenger side headlamp has been fogged since mid-March. If I get the time, I'll try this fix.
Old 04-22-11, 05:26 PM
petroiii
Driver School Candidate

Step 3 and 4:

I failed! Tried to do this but could not take the bumper off. Did you take all the bolts off to get your bumper down like that? I was able to take the 2nd bolt in your picture, and the clamps, but it still felt like there was something holding it. So I took out the three bolts in the bottom middle fender (near the air dam) but the bumper still felt secured.

Am I missing something else? could it be because I am dong the driver's side and your was the passenger side?
Old 04-22-11, 05:41 PM
JADEN
Driver School Candidate

just did this job to reseal passenger side condensation and ballast replacement..i was able to take out two fender bolts and three pop out plastic bolts by top of bumper horn area..still was pretty tight but was able to pry bumper down to get headlight third bolt..i was able to get light out and re seal ..so far no water issues after car wash and rain..next time spend the little extra time and remove bolts on driver side to release bumper tension and tape is your friend use it..
Old 04-23-11, 09:04 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by petroiii
I failed! Tried to do this but could not take the bumper off. Did you take all the bolts off to get your bumper down like that? I was able to take the 2nd bolt in your picture, and the clamps, but it still felt like there was something holding it. So I took out the three bolts in the bottom middle fender (near the air dam) but the bumper still felt secured.

Am I missing something else? could it be because I am dong the driver's side and your was the passenger side?
Jaden who did this recently brought up a good point. I did the Driver side 1st then Pass. Maybe that's the key. Try it. Good luck.
Old 04-23-11, 11:41 AM
petroiii
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I will try that. I resorted to sealing what I could without taking the headlight off. But I will definitely try takig the middle fender clips to ease a little tension.
Do you guys have headlight washers by any chance?

Good job Jaden, glad to hear your condensation problems have been addressed.

Thanks to you two! I will keep you posted.
Old 04-25-11, 05:09 AM
VAttorney
Rookie

I took advantage of this DIY. Didn't work for me ... ballast is fried (after the DIY) now I'm wrestling with going to halogens on both sides (about $700) or replacing the headlight assembly (around $1100 plus) with no guarantees I won't have the problem again.
Old 04-25-11, 07:34 AM
mandyfig

Has somebody found a way to protect the ballast? Fortunately I have non-Hids.
Old 04-25-11, 10:05 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Has somebody found a way to protect the ballast? Fortunately I have non-Hids.

Really? I think around 80% of the RX`s do. How are your lights at night? I do like my hid`s, when I drive my wife`s C280 @ night, I appreciate them even more.
Old 04-25-11, 11:44 AM
JADEN
Driver School Candidate

i got the new oem denso ballast for $85.00 for my passenger side condensation problem..ballast was definitely corroded and burnt out from headlight leak..i think once you fix condensation issue ballast will stay dry..bottom of fixture where the ballast sits you can also run a bead of silicone outside ballast compartment for a little peace of mind i did..good luck with your project.

Last edited by JADEN; 04-25-11 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-03-11, 06:59 AM
frankeysd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VAttorney
I took advantage of this DIY. Didn't work for me ... ballast is fried (after the DIY) now I'm wrestling with going to halogens on both sides (about $700) or replacing the headlight assembly (around $1100 plus) with no guarantees I won't have the problem again.
My 2005 Lexus RX330 is out of warranty but I managed Lexus replaced both right and left side Head light Assembly. Started out condensation and ended up with water damged to the ballast. Very expensive and the design is flawed!!!

Quick Reply: *MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)