RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

*MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)

Old 11-09-09, 09:40 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

They are vented. The key is the temperature between the 2 shells...1 shell is vented, the other sealed.

The vented one is where the water is condensing. The vented space is the equalizer, hence no condensation under normal use. However, if water gets in into this vented shell, it takes forever to get the moisture to dry up.

I just sealed the area where the water is migrating to the shell, solved the problem.

Good luck in getting your leak repaired.
Old 11-10-09, 07:44 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic Thread!!! You answered severak of my questions about my 04 RX 330 that I have posted a thread on. Can you answer me a couple of questions since I think after much frusteration I have narrowed down the fact that I need a Ballast on the left/drivers side front low beam.
-Once I remove the headlight assembly per your GREAT instructions, how do I access the ballast?

-I am confused as to the Denzo number. I thought it was 85967-0E020. If you have not had ballast issues I am sorry for asking.

-If you have knowledge of this issue, how do I get a Ballast. I hear Ebay but they all appear to be used for $100.00.

-Final question, how do I know for sure if I have AFS? I am getting conflicting answers. When I start my RX and turn on the headlamps in the dark say in front of a closed garage door, they sort of move up/down and then level out. Is that AFS and/or do they also move when turning the steering wheel, because this is hard for me to notice when the vehicle is in park and I move the wheel. Although It appears they may be moving around a corner.

Thanks, great informative right up!!!!
Old 11-10-09, 08:11 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike DeAno
Fantastic Thread!!! You answered severak of my questions about my 04 RX 330 that I have posted a thread on. Can you answer me a couple of questions since I think after much frusteration I have narrowed down the fact that I need a Ballast on the left/drivers side front low beam.
-Once I remove the headlight assembly per your GREAT instructions, how do I access the ballast?

-I am confused as to the Denzo number. I thought it was 85967-0E020. If you have not had ballast issues I am sorry for asking.

-If you have knowledge of this issue, how do I get a Ballast. I hear Ebay but they all appear to be used for $100.00.

-Final question, how do I know for sure if I have AFS? I am getting conflicting answers. When I start my RX and turn on the headlamps in the dark say in front of a closed garage door, they sort of move up/down and then level out. Is that AFS and/or do they also move when turning the steering wheel, because this is hard for me to notice when the vehicle is in park and I move the wheel. Although It appears they may be moving around a corner.

Thanks, great informative right up!!!!
Hi Mike, for you to able to remove the ballast, first you remove the headlight cover to unplug the harness from the bulb, and there is the black cover on the bottom of the headlight, there are four bolts screws once you unscrew them and there is the ballast there. if you can move the projector left and right, that mean you have AFS headlight, if you can not move the projector is mean you have non AFS, but the ballast is the same, and you can find a ballast on ebay less than $100, hope this would help you.
Old 11-10-09, 08:14 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like you do not have AFS. With AFS the lights go up/down/outward/inward when the car is started. It is very visible, you can't miss it. Aslo, AFS is not a single option, it is part of AFS/Rainn Sensor/Headlight Washer package.

As far as location of the ballast, look at picture #5 here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05...item4a9a0c1ab9
The thick coaxed cable plugged into the light bulb starts at the ballast. I think it is screwed to the bottom of the headlight housing.

Godd luck.
Old 11-10-09, 08:24 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Still confused....
When I start my car the headlights are definietely doing some up/down movement before they come to level/rest a second or two later. I also do HAVE rain sensor and headlight washer package. So do you think I do have AFS???

When you speak of EBAY for a ballast at $100.00 or so, you are correct but they all appear to be used> Is that ok and what you are referring to?

Thanks, Mike
Old 11-10-09, 09:23 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Is it possible your "AFS" switch is off?
Old 11-11-09, 12:43 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Well, I suppose I need to check if I have an AFS switch, that will confirm whether or not I have AFS. My MSRP back in 2004 was $45,268.00 and I thought I had every imaginalble option, but I just can't confirm AFS, so tonight I will lokk for a switch. Thanks everyone....
Old 04-14-10, 04:16 PM
1JenJen
Driver School Candidate

I'm am so thankful for this forum! I'm having the exact same problem. I just took my 2004 RX330 back to Carmax (where I purchased it 3 weeks ago) for the driver side headlight condensation problem and they took a look and said that the lights are not sealed and it's a normal issue with Lexus. They also said there was nothing they could do unless the headlamp was filling with water, in which case I'd need to drive it directly there (35 miles away) and they'd replace it. They're suggestion was to simply turn the high-beams on for a couple of minutes until the condensation goes away. It just doesn't seem realistic for owners to have to do this every day. I'm thinking of taking it to an actual Lexus dealer and see what they say.

UPDATE: I just spoke with the Service Manager at Lexus of Sacramento and he informed me that the above is actually correct. I was shocked! He said that it was a common problem with the Lexus headlights and there wasn't much they could do. I wish I knew what you guys said to get yours fixed by the dealer! Either way, I'm glad that I'm not alone with this problem.

Last edited by 1JenJen; 04-14-10 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-15-10, 10:08 AM
mandyfig

Well you were outside warranty. If you were, Lexus will replace them. But just follow the tips in sealing and you should be good to go.
Old 04-15-10, 01:16 PM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-moisture.html It's covered under warranty.
Old 04-15-10, 03:35 PM
1JenJen
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys! I'll have it sealed.
Old 02-24-11, 03:23 PM
willdogg
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Your write up is invaluable. From the bolts, down to masking off the bumper and fenders to protect them from scratches. Since I only had condensation in the drivers side, I took out the driver side headlamp assembly and sealed the whole lens/housing joint with clear sealant. I used a hair dryer to dry out the housing while I waited for the sealant to cure.

On the passenger side, the moisture had dried up. Instead of taking the passenger side apart, I just sealed the top lens/housing joint that is exposed to rain and car washes. If the moisture comes back, I'll do a complete seal like the drivers side.

I wanted to get this done before the storm hits this weekend. Believe it or not, they're expecting snow down here at sea level in the Bay Area. So I'll let you guys know if my repair worked or not.

-w
Old 02-24-11, 06:16 PM
mandyfig

Thanks. Just want some of us who had bum headlamps to find solace that a cheaper solution is available. Shame on Lexus on not owning up to this manufacturing defect.
Old 03-02-11, 10:31 PM
frankeysd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Thanks. Just want some of us who had bum headlamps to find solace that a cheaper solution is available. Shame on Lexus on not owning up to this manufacturing defect.
The location of the ballast is very susceptible to water due to splashes from both front tires during rainy season plus the the fogging compounded the head light problem, the chamber where the ballast is at should have been shut - design flaw!!!
Old 03-11-11, 03:12 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

So is your headlamp still dry??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)