RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

*MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-13, 02:04 PM
subr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both headlights affected

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I was reading about the problems with condensation in the front head lights. Both of my head lights are fogged really bad.
How much does it cost to have them replaced?

My car is a 2004 Rx330. I bought it used in 2006 after it came off service as a lease car, and is not under any warranty.

Thanks
Old 05-31-13, 02:51 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by subr
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I was reading about the problems with condensation in the front head lights. Both of my head lights are fogged really bad.
How much does it cost to have them replaced?

My car is a 2004 Rx330. I bought it used in 2006 after it came off service as a lease car, and is not under any warranty.

Thanks
Welcome to Club Lexus, subr.

Do you have the stock halogen headlights or do you have HID headlamps? If you have HID, do you have AFS? Are you a DIY person or would you need to shop this job out?

Depending on which setup you have will affect any possible pricing. Also, depending on how bad the condensation has been you may have other issues with ballasts and such which are now turing to rust and may need replacing as well. Here is an idea of what parts might cost you. While the parts list with each link does not change, the diagrams do to show you what some of the differences are:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X330-2004.html

Finally, use the search features of the forums here at CL. You will find a number of threads, such as this one, where there is discussion on how much others had to pay for their repairs on a variety of topics. Invest some time here and you will find what you need.
Old 06-21-13, 08:35 AM
LS430LX470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gibster
I had my passenger headlight housing changed last week due to condensation. I wonder if it has anything to do with the touch-less car wash I use.
its a common problem - I have had that issue on both my rx330's
Old 08-03-13, 11:33 AM
snmpgh
Driver School Candidate

Default Big thanks to mandyfig

I want to give a big thanks to mandyfig for his DIY.

The ballast in my wife's 2004 RX so I needed to finally tackle removing the light and replacing the ballast and sealing the darn thing up.

The DIY gave me the hints and visuals I needed to man up and do it myself.

Couple tips. The bolts on the lower bumper and the headlight bolts are 10mm. Buy replacement plastic bumper clips ahead of time, age and engine heat make them very brittle. Also, the machine screws that hold the ballast in its case will be totally corroded so get yourself four #8 3/4in machine screws.

Mike
Old 02-25-14, 04:06 AM
HokieCJ7
Driver School Candidate

So, has anyone taken in their RX to have their headlights finally replaced by Lexus for moisture problems (per Warranty Enhancement Notification ZLB)?

I too sealed my headlights after I had excessive moisture in both of them. I am wondering if I should remove the silicone sealer prior to bringing the RX to the dealer so that they wont try to give me a hard time about it.

What have your experiences been with this?
Old 04-28-14, 07:54 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HokieCJ7
So, has anyone taken in their RX to have their headlights finally replaced by Lexus for moisture problems (per Warranty Enhancement Notification ZLB)?

I too sealed my headlights after I had excessive moisture in both of them. I am wondering if I should remove the silicone sealer prior to bringing the RX to the dealer so that they wont try to give me a hard time about it.

Not quitE understanding your question. When my right side headlight got condensation I took it to the dealership and they replaced it under warranty no problems. Couple of weeks later I still got condensation on the right headlight agian. This time the light comes on flickers and then goes off. Ive been driving like this for a while now and been to lazy to fix it myself since warranty is up. Will read through this diy once the weather warms up.

Last edited by theory816; 04-29-14 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-29-14, 02:21 AM
HokieCJ7
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone that previously sealed their headlights themselves (per DIY instructions located in this thread) taken their RX to the dealer to have their headlights replaced under the new warranty enhancement program? If so, did you bother to remove the silicone sealer prior to bringing in your RX, or just leave it in place?

I would just hate Lexus to claim that I am now somehow responsible for the issue after I "fixed" it myself, and for about $3,900 cheaper than the dealership originally wanted to fix the problem, and then not want to switch out my lights.
Old 05-06-14, 08:49 PM
HTSHOW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by clubaddict
i seem to have an issue of condensation inside my driver side headlight on my 2005 rx330...
the passenger side headlight is fine...
has anyone else experienced this problem?
is it usually a warrantyable thing?
I had a same problem with my RX400H , I brought it back to Lexus dealer ship and they were denied the warranty. However, it's enhance warranty now, have you received recall letter in the mail? you should bring it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it . They should do it for free,
Old 08-08-14, 02:23 PM
rjbecker7
Driver School Candidate

I just called Lexus dealer and they know about the extended warranty. I did not receive one in the mail and if it were not for searching online I would not have benefited by it. We will see what develops. The service mgr said to bring it in and they would check it out and order parts as necessary.
Old 08-11-14, 05:35 AM
jamieZ
Rookie

Headlights on RX's are junk. The only way you can fix the situation is go and buy a caulking gun and some expensive silicon caulking. Remove the headlights from the Toyota and seal them. While off put a hair dryer in one of the light sockets to dry it out if condensation is present when you do it. That should free you up to do other goofy thinks to the RX like work on your power rear hatch which tries to take your head off and the paint ( if you have stupid bamboo pearl paint ) delamiating on the top of the mirrors, door handles and back trim. Not to impressed with Toyota on this one. Jamie
Old 10-10-14, 05:33 PM
rjbecker7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rjbecker7
I just called Lexus dealer and they know about the extended warranty. I did not receive one in the mail and if it were not for searching online I would not have benefited by it. We will see what develops. The service mgr said to bring it in and they would check it out and order parts as necessary.
Update: Lexus replaced my headlight at no cost. I never did get a letter but after calling them directly they were very supportive and contacted the dealer. I had a new headlight in a week. Whatever else they may have done, in my case they did a good job. If anyone else has this problem, just call Lexus and your problem will soon be over. (Now I am hoping this headlight doesn't leak nor the other one. But thats another story)
Old 12-11-14, 09:33 PM
hsh11
Driver School Candidate

I took my 2007 rx350 to dealer reporting headlight condensation issue. I mentioned that there is a lot of talk about this on the internet and asked him if there was any recall. The service advisor looked up and mentioned there is no recall but there is a conditional replacement program. They run a bunch of tests and if it meets the criteria they will change the headlights at no cost. I waited for couple of hours while the shop ran the tests. It turned out that my vehicle qualified for the replacement program and the dealership changed both the headlights at no cost. If not for this forum, I would have not taken it to the dealer, thank you all for the valuable information.
Old 12-23-14, 11:15 AM
willdogg
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Headlight replaced per Warranty Enhancement

Originally Posted by HokieCJ7

I sealed my headlights with silicone sealant, but the moisture problem came back in the drivers side headlight. I received the Lexus WEN-ZLB letter a couple months ago, so I went ahead and brought it in, with the sealant still on (both headlights).

The dealer replaced the wet headlight, only because the condensation was visible. They also removed the passenger side and checked it thoroughly but deemed it still good. I asked them if they could replace it anyway since it will probably get moisture soon, but they said they have to send all defective parts back to Lexus Engineering for analysis. They're not supposed to send back "good" parts, in this case dry headlights.

But the dealer advisor said if condensation appears in the passenger side headlight, just bring it in and they'll replace it.

Last edited by willdogg; 12-23-14 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-01-15, 06:32 AM
Vinnyherma
Driver School Candidate

Default Would a can of CLEAR " FLEX SEAL" *work?

With all the condensation issues with regard to RX 330 (& other model!) lamp assemblies, I have to ask:

Can a can if spray "FLEX SEAL" carefully applied, solve this problem?

Most of the moisture comes into the assemblies, through the top, so wouldn't this, or silicone sealant, fix this issue? (EVEN THOUGH LEXUS SHOULD MAN UP AND FIX, especially being a "LUXURY" car mfgr!)
Old 10-01-15, 03:42 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Lexus did "man up". There is a warranty extension for headlight moisture.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...densation.html

http://www.lexusreimbursement.com

Quick Reply: *MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)