RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Stupid phone book entry

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-09, 08:15 PM
ongtroi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid phone book entry

Why Lexus design a premitive phone book like that? In my cell phone, I can enter up to FIVE different numbers with description like Home, Office, Fax... and I can also store home address or office address in the same entry. This is especially usefull in NAV system since it can be used to call via Bluetooth or to map the route. It can have up to 1000 phone book entries. In Lexus, these are TWO different places to store.

I don't know if other brands has this feature but it is very basic and should be there in the first place. We're talking the 5th generation here.
Old 03-06-09, 08:29 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ongtroi
Why Lexus design a premitive phone book like that? In my cell phone, I can enter up to FIVE different numbers with description like Home, Office, Fax... and I can also store home address or office address in the same entry. This is especially usefull in NAV system since it can be used to call via Bluetooth or to map the route. It can have up to 1000 phone book entries. In Lexus, these are TWO different places to store.

I don't know if other brands has this feature but it is very basic and should be there in the first place. We're talking the 5th generation here.
Yeah the NAV system developed by Denso is very primitive and not intuitive at all. My Honda has a better NAV system and so does Mercedes.
Old 03-07-09, 07:34 AM
ongtroi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by meowmix52
Yeah the NAV system developed by Denso is very primitive and not intuitive at all. My Honda has a better NAV system and so does Mercedes.
I don't believe that. Lexus is number one rated year after year for the best NAV system. I only complained about the phone book entry which could be a lot better. My brother's Mercedes GL NAV system is a joke. I don't know about Honda but Acura is not as good as Lexus any way
Old 03-07-09, 09:03 PM
anthonyerc
Driver School Candidate

I agree that Lexus/Toyota have the BEST navigation systems. Honda and Acura are not the greatest in my opinion. My dad's 2007 Acura Tl has the worst navigation system. It NEVER tells me the correct route and one time I was in a strange town with it and I typed in Subway and the system was leading me to a Subway 350 miles away....hmm...I don't know about that. My 2008 Toyota Tundra and my 2009 Lexus RX350 both have amazing nav systems. The only problem is you cant use them while driving.
Old 03-10-09, 09:39 AM
RhoXS
Rookie

I cannot compare the Lexus nav system with other car manufacturers. I can only compare it to Garmin 2600 and 2700 series Streetpilots we used (and still use) prior to recently purchaseing a new 2009 RX350 with nav. My wife and I both feel the Lexus nav system leaves much to be desired. The following are just some of the reasons we feel this way.

-The map display does not show local street level detail unless zoomed in to a relatively small area. The Garmin's, with much smaller screens, display much more useful maps because they show much more street detail for a given zoom level. This limitation wastes the enormous potential that the much larger built in screen has.
-Information that should be readily available is not displayed (e.g. elevation)
-Finding POI's is much easier and much more intuitive with our Garmin units. My wife and I have raced each other and invariably, the route to the POI we want is found and displayed much faster with the Garmin units.
-The fact that the passenger (me or my wife) cannot use the nav system to find a hotel, restaurant, rest stop, etc. without stopping is insulting and infuriating.

The Lexus nav system certainly does have some features that are much better than the Garmin units. However, in the balance, the Lexus system sucks, especially considering it costs $2,600 vs less than $400 for our Garmin units. When we travel, we have the Garmin sitting on top of the dash because it consistently proves more useful. I guess the reason we are so frustrated is because of the very high expectations we had based on our experience with our previous (non-nav) Lexus and the fact that almost everything else is so well executed. With the nav system, Lexus really blew it.

Last edited by RhoXS; 03-10-09 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-11-09, 09:37 AM
steiner
Driver

Default How stupid is this

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...1&d=1236789064

I was traveling to Los Angeles on I10. I got off the freeway for gas. The gas station, as you can see on the map above, was just off the freeway, right on the ramp to enter the freeway.

However, the stupid NAV told me to go backward and to take Hobsonway which run parallel to the freeway. It told me to take that side road for 9 miles before entering back onto the freeway.

This is only mildly stupid to compare with other cases, which I didn't have to a camera to capture the moment!
Attached Thumbnails Stupid phone book entry-dscn5815.jpg  
Old 03-13-09, 06:19 PM
Who_Me
Rookie

Default I agree

Originally Posted by RhoXS
I cannot compare the Lexus nav system with other car manufacturers. I can only compare it to Garmin 2600 and 2700 series Streetpilots we used (and still use) prior to recently purchaseing a new 2009 RX350 with nav. My wife and I both feel the Lexus nav system leaves much to be desired. The following are just some of the reasons we feel this way.

-The map display does not show local street level detail unless zoomed in to a relatively small area. The Garmin's, with much smaller screens, display much more useful maps because they show much more street detail for a given zoom level. This limitation wastes the enormous potential that the much larger built in screen has.
-Information that should be readily available is not displayed (e.g. elevation)
-Finding POI's is much easier and much more intuitive with our Garmin units. My wife and I have raced each other and invariably, the route to the POI we want is found and displayed much faster with the Garmin units.
-The fact that the passenger (me or my wife) cannot use the nav system to find a hotel, restaurant, rest stop, etc. without stopping is insulting and infuriating.

The Lexus nav system certainly does have some features that are much better than the Garmin units. However, in the balance, the Lexus system sucks, especially considering it costs $2,600 vs less than $400 for our Garmin units. When we travel, we have the Garmin sitting on top of the dash because it consistently proves more useful. I guess the reason we are so frustrated is because of the very high expectations we had based on our experience with our previous (non-nav) Lexus and the fact that almost everything else is so well executed. With the nav system, Lexus really blew it.
I agree with you RHoXS. I just set my expectations way to high for a $3000 NAV unit. I also bought a Garmin 750, rather than pay Lexus almost $300 for the update CD for my NAV. The Garmin is far more accurate, but the voice isn't as clear. Plus, my wife can use it while the vehicle is in motion. In the 2+ years I have had my RX 350, I rarely use the backup camera. It is there, but I have never developed the habit of looking at the display. I just instinctively use my mirrors. If I was buying another Lexus, which I probably won't, I would skip the NAV system and get a Garmin. Like "Steiner" above, I have been taken on wild goose chases many times with this NAV. I won't even go into my disappointment with the Phone Book.