RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Help Me Choose A Color For My New 2009 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-09, 07:05 AM
Teletubbie
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Me Choose A Color For My New 2009 RX350

Newbie here. This is going to be my first ever Lexus, having owned Honda and Toyota before. I am close to purchasing a new 2009 RX350 and need your opinion in choosing a color (for demographic I am 40ish male.) The following choices are available:

1. Smoky Granite Mica with gray interior and walnut wood
2. Classic Silver Metallic with gray interior and walnut wood
3. Obsidian Black with ivory interior and maple wood
4. Breakwater Blue Metallic with ivory interior and maple wood
5. Golden Almond Metallic with ivory interior and maple wood

I am trying to decide between the Mica and Silver. I like the Mica but I am worried about having to wash it frequently to look clean (I am not good at washing it regularly). Any thoughts on this?

So I was leaning towards the Silver. But the problem is our other car is a Honda Silver Odyssey. Would it be funny to have two cars of the same color in a family?
Old 01-29-09, 07:24 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

I'd take Golden Almond or Obsidian. But with black interior but it's your choice.
Old 01-29-09, 12:09 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Our IS is a variant of the Flint Mica, and its a real b**** keeping it clean during the winter weather. But, when it's clean, it's awesome! Our 05 RX is Thundercloud Metallic which is a unique color (only available in 05 and limited quantity), it is very close to Silver, but with a bit more pewter in it - always looks clean, at least from a distance! Neighbor has an 05 Silver RX and loves it as much less work than his wife’s black VW (which he swears at regularly when washing). From what I've heard (and seen) from friends, having the ivory interior is that it is very difficult to keep pristine.

In the end, go with what you like best.

Last edited by Orzel; 01-29-09 at 12:10 PM. Reason: stupidity!
Old 01-29-09, 12:29 PM
Teletubbie
Driver School Candidate

OP here.
Just found out that they have another exterior color RX available:

White with ivory interior and maple wood

Between the Smoky Granite Mica and White, which is easy to maintain?

Thanks!!
Old 01-29-09, 12:37 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you plan on doing paint touchup yourself, I would avoid any colors that involve a 3-stage paint (i.e., base coat, translucent coat, and clearcoat). They make a good-looking home touchup difficult to impossible.
Old 01-29-09, 12:49 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Stay away from Ivory interior! No matter how clean you think you are, it soils very easy and is harder to clean. I had it in a LS460 and I could not keep the interior door handle/grips clean.

I like your selection 1

It is what I want my 450h to be.
Old 01-29-09, 01:31 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts

We have an '09 PB edition in Truffle. Very nice combo and has ivory interior. Not sure why the others don't like it; I prefer that much more to black but that shows my preference. Have no real issue keeping it clean; certainly doesn's show dust as bad as black would. Exterior is another matter, but that is what car washes are for especially in winter with the snow.

Not liking the '09 gold colour; too gold for me. Our '08 was Savannah, less goldy than golden almond. We have 2 blue ones in the neighbourhood; look OK too. Really, boils down to personal preference.
Old 01-29-09, 02:47 PM
Scottydog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Teletubbie
OP here.

Between the Smoky Granite Mica and White, which is easy to maintain?

Thanks!!
Black and dark grey show every little scratch, never again on the black for me. Silver or white are easy to maintain, good resale value. I just purchased a Silver/Black interior. The redwood trim looks especially good with the black leather. Likely not too many 09s left.

Remember they are going for 5k under invoice.

Last edited by Scottydog; 01-29-09 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-29-09, 03:16 PM
JorgeGVB
Driver

Mine is silver and it always looks good, even when dirty. My last vehicle was navy blue and was impossible to keep clean. BTW, my wife's car is silver too, it is no big deal having 2 silver vehicles.
Old 01-29-09, 05:06 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i own a flint mica. i love the color. i say if you like the color, dont worry about keeping it clean or whatever.
Old 01-29-09, 08:04 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

You said you're about to buy, a little OT here since I'm in the market too. Are you buying one with NAV? If so, what price/rate /term have you worked them down to. If not disregard my q. Based on your choices I'll pick the Smokey with grey int. I have 3 Smokeys i'm choosing from, all with black int (which I prefer, have ivory in my SC and want black this time) it will all boil down to which dealer gives me the best price this Sat/Sun.
Old 01-29-09, 08:04 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

You said you're about to buy, a little OT here since I'm in the market too. Are you buying one with NAV? If so, what price/rate /term have you worked them down to. If not disregard my q. Based on your choices I'll pick the Smokey with grey int. I have 3 Smokeys i'm choosing from, all with black int (which I prefer, have ivory in my SC and want black this time) it will all boil down to which dealer gives me the best price this Sat/Sun.
Old 01-29-09, 08:30 PM
Teletubbie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
You said you're about to buy, a little OT here since I'm in the market too. Are you buying one with NAV? If so, what price/rate /term have you worked them down to.
I am buying a FWD with non-NAV. The dealer is willing to discount $10K off the MSRP. There is no special financing from Lexus or the dealership. So I am financing on my own.

Last edited by Teletubbie; 01-29-09 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-29-09, 08:35 PM
Teletubbie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Scottydog
Black and dark grey show every little scratch, never again on the black for me. Silver or white are easy to maintain, good resale value. I just purchased a Silver/Black interior. The redwood trim looks especially good with the black leather. Likely not too many 09s left.
There are quite a few 09s left. Most of them are in Smoky Granite Mica. What you are saying is the scratches easily show on the Mica exterior, so you went with the Silver?
Old 01-29-09, 08:44 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

You can't really go wrong with Mica or Silver... I like 'em both. Just don't go with the ivory interior...just IMO. Good luck on your search

Quick Reply: Help Me Choose A Color For My New 2009 RX350