RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Truck/lawn mower like sound from engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-09, 08:05 AM
charlesh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck/lawn mower like sound from engine

I liked my RX350 (2007 with 18000 miles). It runs smoothly and quietly.

Most recently, I noticed that the engine sounds like a lawn mower when accelerating. Has anyone experienced this?

In addition to the engine problem, the tires were worn out inside. I feel the ride is much harsh than before. Based on the comments from tirerack.com, Bridgestone tire Dueler H-L is pretty good. Anyone used this tire?

Also I was wondering if there is any linking between engine like sound and the tire condition.

Help please.

Charlesh
Old 01-16-09, 08:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Sound like you need a wheel alignment. As far as the sound is concerned, are you sure its from the engine and not the suspension or the exhaust system?
Old 01-18-09, 07:37 PM
lxus4xms
Driver

Check your belts
Old 01-18-09, 07:38 PM
lxus4xms
Driver

Originally Posted by charlesh
I liked my RX350 (2007 with 18000 miles). It runs smoothly and quietly.

Most recently, I noticed that the engine sounds like a lawn mower when accelerating. Has anyone experienced this?

In addition to the engine problem, the tires were worn out inside. I feel the ride is much harsh than before. Based on the comments from tirerack.com, Bridgestone tire Dueler H-L is pretty good. Anyone used this tire?

Also I was wondering if there is any linking between engine like sound and the tire condition.

Help please.

Charlesh
This car must be under factory warrantee take it to your dealer
Old 01-19-09, 10:19 AM
butter2009
Driver School Candidate

Default Loud sound from your Engine?

I had a guy that worked for me from Lexus and he said that RX300 engine note was too soft for most people and it didn't really sound like a muscular SUV. I have a 04 330 and when I accelerate sometimes it roars in 1st gear a-bit and calms down as it up shifts. If this is what you are experiencing, I was told that Lexus changed the exhaust note so people can hear the engine perform as you aggressively give it gas from a stop. Hope this helps.
Old 01-19-09, 10:28 AM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

04 rx330s have the most engine noise due to poor insulation, newer ones are quieter inside the cabin..

as for the lawn mower sound, that could be from exhaust leak from the header or your valves need to be adjusted(i highly doubt it at 18k). or it could be from bad tires that makes it seem like its from the noise from the engine
Old 01-20-09, 05:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by butter2009
I had a guy that worked for me from Lexus and he said that RX300 engine note was too soft for most people and it didn't really sound like a muscular SUV. I have a 04 330 and when I accelerate sometimes it roars in 1st gear a-bit and calms down as it up shifts. If this is what you are experiencing, I was told that Lexus changed the exhaust note so people can hear the engine perform as you aggressively give it gas from a stop. Hope this helps.
I doubt Lexus would try to turn up the exhaust note on a SUV like the RX.
Old 01-20-09, 06:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I've studied the exhaust design and it's conceivable they did tinker with the exhaust note, for whatever reason, given the design of the resonator, but more so the size of the rear muffler.
Old 01-20-09, 08:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Lex, do you think Lexus made the RX330 louder than RX300 by design?
Old 01-20-09, 04:38 PM
Boognish
Driver

I've always thought our RX 350 sounded a bit like a tractor on start up - particularly on cold starts. Having said that, it's pretty quiet and bland once it gets going. I'd definitely take it to the dealer if it has changed significantly on yours. Isn't Lexus known for their customer service?
Old 01-20-09, 08:03 PM
charlesh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Boognish
I've always thought our RX 350 sounded a bit like a tractor on start up - particularly on cold starts. Having said that, it's pretty quiet and bland once it gets going. I'd definitely take it to the dealer if it has changed significantly on yours. Isn't Lexus known for their customer service?
I will take the car to the dealer tomorrow. The noise is not weather linked. I recently traveled to NC (60F), and found the sound was always there.

I have an acura 2008 TL, which has a lot of rattle issues, but the engine runs pretty good. The engine in TL makes loud sound but a happy/smooth/contiuous sound when giving more gas to the engine.

I had the experience with dealers and expected that they will say it is normal, although it is a totally different car compared to before.
Old 01-21-09, 06:58 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lex, do you think Lexus made the RX330 louder than RX300 by design?
I am not sure, but it's conceivable. One of my neighbors has an RX330 and it's somewhat different setup from the RX300, though I had have to rip her exhaust system or see one in a junkyard to examine it more closely looking at the inner design of say the resonator.
Old 01-22-09, 08:18 PM
runningox
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by butter2009
My 2004 RX330 has the same description with yours. But I don't believe Lexus dealer's explanation. There is must be something we need to fix. I heard Midas can check complete exhaust system for free.
Old 01-23-09, 05:33 AM
charlesh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by runningox
My 2004 RX330 has the same description with yours. But I don't believe Lexus dealer's explanation. There is must be something we need to fix. I heard Midas can check complete exhaust system for free.
I wenet to the dealer the other day and was told that the noise comes from the tire. I tentatively belieive what they said and will replace the tire in the coming spring.

Hopefully they are right.
Old 01-24-09, 05:02 PM
fw1
Rookie

Default glad I checked this forum

Originally Posted by Boognish
When I start my rx350 today, I noticed this loud rumbling/vibration noise. It sort of went away after running for awhile, but I did notice the noise is somewhat there at low 1-2 gear. Thought I checked the forum and sounds like boognish has very similar symptons. I'm definitely sending it to dealer.

Quick Reply: Truck/lawn mower like sound from engine