RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Bought my first Lexus... never again.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-09, 12:15 PM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is bs that RX has the least quality among lexus lineup. Even if you drive a Rolls or Bugatti, it is still mechanics, and something may or may not break down. I would not rush to misjudge Lexus so harshly because of an isolated incident, and numerous Lexus followers would be on my side.

The nature of those defects could not have been discovered even by a mechanic prior to sale, so it seems the vehicle was in great shape at the time of sale. When you buy used, even if its a Ferrari, you are playing a lottery. Would you have been able to avoid this when you first saw a rusty spot on the towing hitch? No, because there is no connection between vehicle used for towing and its headlights or bad master brake cylinder.

scottydog: in my area RXs keep their value better. A 2004 AWD w/o NAVI under 100k mi sells for 16K at the dealer auction. A 2006 is 3 model years newer and would cost at least mid 20's from the dealer lot. Even it's not a fully loaded one, I still think 22k is a great price, in relative terms.
Old 01-15-09, 12:28 PM
Scottydog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out CR reliability reports. The RX is still highly rated. The bottom of the list includes Mercedes M/R Class, BMW X5, VW Tuareg, Jeep GC.

I too think 22k is a decent fair price. If offered a 06 for 29k and a new 09 for 36k I'd pick the new one... :-)

Last edited by Scottydog; 01-15-09 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-15-09, 12:46 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottydog
Check out CR reliability reports. The RX is still highly rated. The bottom of the list includes Mercedes M/R Class, BMW X5, VW Tuareg, Jeep GC.
Now I see what the problem is, you actually use CR as a reference when you shop for a car. Didnt you know that CR have been giving Lexus and Toyota good ratings for years without testing them and based the high rating on just their pass reputation. CR is good for toaster ovens and washing machines, but thats about it.

Last edited by The G Man; 01-15-09 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-15-09, 02:06 PM
Scottydog
Driver

CR uses repair surveys for their data. If you read other reliability reports besides CR they all seem to point to the same conclusion. Lexus (and the other Japanese suvs) all seem to rise to the top, the germans are in the middle, with the American machines at the bottom. I've been lucky with my Jeep, but I keep waiting for things to start breaking.

I've been very impressed with the RX350 quality, and hope it will live up to it's reputation repair wise. time will tell...
Old 01-15-09, 02:49 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
You really should do your homework a little more before you buy a car. If you are buying a recent lexus because of reliablity, you have been sucker into the Lexus reputation from 15 years ago. BMW and Audi of today are just as reliable as most Japanese cars. Here is recent article I have read about long term reliablity between the Audi A6 and Acura RL.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...term_road_test
I believe this is the second time you've used journalists to vouch for german cars. Journalists are not reliable sources. Every year they say BMW is the best car on earth. Yet stories of over heating engines are all over the net regarding the new 335. You're listening to propoganda. Lexus may have slipped a little recently but they are still leaps ahead of the germans.
All the major mags have Bimmers in their long term fleet. Never any Lexus. Lexus doesn't give out their cars to journalists apparently. That tells me the journalist could be just a little biased. WHy would I believe anything they say. Well actually, they don't even talk about reliability. Just handling characteristics...as if real world driving was like driving between cones. Please.

Last edited by Ice350; 01-15-09 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-15-09, 02:56 PM
kayotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by malice9999
Unfortunately, I didn't buy it from a Lexus dealer. I bought it through a seemingly reputable "wholesaler" AS-IS.

sigh...
Lexus is not at fault.. This shouldn't push you away from Lexus. The "wholesaler" screwed you over, not Lexus.
Old 01-15-09, 04:15 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Now I see what the problem is, you actually use CR as a reference when you shop for a car. Didnt you know that CR have been giving Lexus and Toyota good ratings for years without testing them and based the high rating on just their pass reputation. CR is good for toaster ovens and washing machines, but thats about it.
Actually the auto ratings come from real users, not CR. Read the Mag.
Old 01-15-09, 05:51 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really should do your homework a little more before you buy a car. If you are buying a recent lexus because of reliablity, you have been sucker into the Lexus reputation from 15 years ago. BMW and Audi of today are just as reliable as most Japanese cars. Here is recent article I have read about long term reliablity between the Audi A6 and Acura RL.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...term_road_test
This statement is simply untrue.

While the Germans have made improvements in their reliability they are still nowhere close to Lexus. BMW has improved the most and is still has 37% more issues. Audi and MB are not even up to the industry average. 72.5% and 79% more issues than Lexus. To argue that the German's are equals to Lexus for reliability is baseless.

To place value in C&D that is so blatantly biased towards BMW is ridiculous.

Maybe you should do a little more homework instead of posting your biased opinion?
Attached Thumbnails Bought my first Lexus... never again.-2008115a.gif  
Old 01-15-09, 05:57 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hilarious!

You discount CR but place stock in C&D.

I think that most CL members will recognize from this logic how much credibility your opinions have....very little.
Old 01-15-09, 05:57 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

You are misinformed G-Man. Go take a look at a recent copy and you will see that some Lexus and Toyota vehicles had lost their "recommended" status over years past. Simple matter of it taking time for the statistics to catch up with Toyota and their living on their past reputation.
Old 01-15-09, 06:26 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
You are misinformed G-Man. Go take a look at a recent copy and you will see that some Lexus and Toyota vehicles had lost their "recommended" status over years past. Simple matter of it taking time for the statistics to catch up with Toyota and their living on their past reputation.
Really?

In the Feb 2009 issue they show the Lexus ES and the Toyota Avalon as the top two recommended Large Upscale Sedans.

In their Annual Automotive issue you will find Lexus and Toyota to be recommended for nearly every model.

The new Automotive issue is due in a couple months. I expect from the ratings I see below that this year will not be much different than the last.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...tisfaction.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...sedanssuvs.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...ntvehicles.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...andpickups.htm
Old 01-15-09, 06:40 PM
Scottydog
Driver

Boy this thread is hijacked and heading to Cuba!

Hey this is Lexus country. The BMW forum is around the corner...
Old 01-15-09, 07:21 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

LOL at this thread. Buy used car and when there is problems blame it on the manufacturer not your own due diligence...
Old 01-15-09, 08:56 PM
malice9999
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
LOL at this thread. Buy used car and when there is problems blame it on the manufacturer not your own due diligence...
You're right, I should have been more diligent and taken it through the headlight soak test. If there is a design and/or manufacturing flaw, who do you suggest I blame if not the manufacturer? Thanks for the useless post.
Old 01-15-09, 09:23 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is one headlight for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...1%7C240%3A1318

Quick Reply: Bought my first Lexus... never again.