RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

05 RX 330 Light Assembly/Brake Light Replacement

Old 01-12-09, 06:22 PM
VOL_RX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 RX 330 Light Assembly/Brake Light Replacement

Does anyone know where I can order/buy a replacement brake assembly/bulb/lamp/LED (not sure what it is) for a 2005 RX 330? The dealership will replce for around $350 but that seems very high but again this is my wifes car and I have never owned a luxury car before so it may be common. Howver, if I can find a replacement for a better deal I would like to. I am guessing it is somewhat easy to change out? Things are getting tough these days and it would be worth it to save a few $$$. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-12-09, 06:26 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Try ebay, best option.
Old 01-12-09, 08:31 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VOL_RX
Does anyone know where I can order/buy a replacement brake assembly/bulb/lamp/LED (not sure what it is) for a 2005 RX 330? The dealership will replce for around $350 but that seems very high but again this is my wifes car and I have never owned a luxury car before so it may be common. Howver, if I can find a replacement for a better deal I would like to. I am guessing it is somewhat easy to change out? Things are getting tough these days and it would be worth it to save a few $$$. Thanks for the help.
That seems steep even compared with Mercedes. I would try another dealer or ask them why does it cost so much to replace and see if they give you a good reason.
Old 01-13-09, 07:12 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus parts are not any cheaper than MB
Old 01-13-09, 07:49 AM
VOL_RX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by triplecore
That seems steep even compared with Mercedes. I would try another dealer or ask them why does it cost so much to replace and see if they give you a good reason.

I have not owned a Mercedes but my supervisor has owed a few and he said that it was quite high also. Apparently after looking at the bill/receipt they installed a light assembly. I don't understand why they couldn't replace just the bulb but the way they are manufacturing vehicles nowadays I am not surprised they are requiring whole assembly installation when replacing parts. I drive a 2003 GMC Duramax and had a hub bearing go out and instead of removing the bearings and replacing it required a whole new hub "assembly", the mechanic mentioned that the hubs are sealed and you can't even grease them.

On another matter, has anyone ever heard of having the brake system flushed on a RX 330? This also was recommended and performed on my wifes vehicle. I have never heard of such, so I think it was a scam ($130). To my knowledge and other mechanics I have spoken with brake fluid doesn't break down becuase there are no moving parts to create heat and friction? Has anyone heard of a brake system flush before???
Old 01-13-09, 10:20 AM
mandyfig

The replacement is straightforward. Unbolt and bolt on. Tight space, but doable.
Old 01-13-09, 11:21 AM
VOL_RX
Driver School Candidate

mandyfig thanks for the reply. Where have you found a replacement assembly online, parts store, somewhere else? If you have a good source post the contact info.
Old 01-13-09, 01:34 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

Is this the taillight or the 3rd brake light?
Old 01-13-09, 02:43 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the tailights are all hard to replace. I had to get my bumper mounted one replaced the bulb the dealer threw in free but charged me 100 something in labor as they told me the bumper had to be removed and it was non warranty
Old 01-13-09, 03:19 PM
mandyfig

The brake lights which are the corner lights (which are LED's) are easy to replace. Pry out the trim from the inside, then you have to reach in and un-bolt at 3 locations. The whole corner slides out. LED's, so they are darn expensive. Mine was replaced through warranty. I actually dismantled thinking I was just going to replace a bulb. NOT!

The park lights which are mounted on the tail gate are harder to get to, but only require bulbs to replace. You will have to take down all the trim to get to it, but should no be an issue.

The corner lights on the rear bumper, is the one that is hard to do. But I have seen a write up here on how to do it.
Old 01-14-09, 12:05 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I replaced the whole parking light assembly from the rear bumper. My son ran into it with cis car and cracked it. Wasn't that difficult. To undo the 2 screws was easy, but then wrestling the assembly out was a challenge. But I did not have to remove the bumper or anyhthing else.
Old 01-14-09, 12:26 PM
VOL_RX
Driver School Candidate

Hey thanks for everyones input its nice to have access to all this knowledge. You gotta love the internet!

My question now is where can you purchase the light assembly? I checked Autozone and Advanced and niether carried them. Are you purchasing them throught the dealership?
Old 01-15-09, 09:25 AM
mandyfig

This item is a dealer only purchase. Try getting a quote with our Lexus vendors here in the forum, there's at least 2 you can check with. I have purchased from both, great service. They will be able to give you a break. Otherwise ebay would be the only place you can get them.
Old 03-20-09, 07:20 PM
maxgle
Driver School Candidate

Default High mounted brake lamp replacement

Mandyfig,
The center high mounted brake light on my 2004 Lexus RX330 is not working. The other two brake lights (left and right) are working. I looked at the assembly at the top of the glass, and I see 12 LEDs. Do you replace all 12 leds or does it only come as an assembly. I haven't take it in yet, just trying to understand if all 12 LED went at once or what.

Thanks
Maxgle
Old 03-21-09, 05:09 AM
mandyfig

The assembly will have to be replaced. LED's have a circuit board. So, nice looking, but expensive to replace. However, they should last longer than normal bulbs. You are out of warranty, I can imagine.

We have CL vendors here who can give you a very discounted price, installation is easy.