Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 12-15-14, 05:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic

Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Reset for car after disconnecting & reconnecting the battery?

Old 01-10-09, 02:13 PM   #1
eagle
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Reset for car after disconnecting & reconnecting the battery?

Hi,

The battery on my wife's 07 RX350 was replaced in late November. She was advised to drive it regularly so as not to run it down due to inactivity.

Knowing she'd be out of town for a month, we figured we'd just disconnect the battery like we'd done with our other cars. (Negative post was disconnected)

She connected the battery today and it started just fine. She had to reset the seats, radio, steering column, etc.

She noticed that the only the driver side window goes up and down. None of the other three windows work. She hasn't checked the moonroof.

She also noticed that when you turn off the car, it sounds almost like a jet engine that whines/winds down vs. a simple quick engine cutoff.

Questions:
- Is there a reset for the windows?
- Is the whining wind down sound the engine makes upon turning it off require some sort of a "reset" also? Done by the dealer perhaps?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
eagle
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 02:48 PM   #2
jfelbab

facebook.com/jfelbab

There is a dealer checklist of things to reset when power has been removed. For the windows I believe you need to go to each window and hold the button until the window goes all the way down and back up. For the roof you need to hold the tilt button until the roof tilts, closes, slides back and then slides forward then release. The easiest way to deal with long term storage is to buy a battery minder device. These can be had for as little as $25 at times and will keep your battery in good health.

You might also have lost some of your specific custom settings by removing the power, I can't recall if that is saved in non-volatile memory.

This process has also cleared your car's driving style memory. The vehicle learns from your driving and fine tunes the way it drives based on that history.
Peter Drucker
jfelbab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 04:57 PM   #3
RhoXS
Rookie

To reset the windows after disconnecting the battery:

Go to the local switch at each window (not from the driver's door) and manually run the window full down then full up. This must be done at each door as each window is individually manually reset by doing this. The windows will then operate automatically from both the local switch on each door and the remote switches on the driver's door.

As soon as I figure out how to reset the moon roof I will post direction on that too.

I disconnected the battery in an unsuccessful attempt to get a Hybrid 5.1/7.1 Nav disc to work. We later noticed the windows and roof were not working either properly or at all. We were just going to wait to the 1000 mile service in a few weeks to get this resolved but now that I know what caused the problem I will simply do the resetting myself.
RhoXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 05:34 PM   #4
RhoXS
Rookie

I just managed to reset my roof so it works correctly. Unfortunately, I am not exactly sure what I did but it had something to do with manually running it full open and full closed along with some manipulation of the tilt switch.
RhoXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 06:03 AM   #5
eagle
Driver School Candidate

Thanks.

Going to each window and running a cycle of up and down and holding the button a few seconds longer after it is all the way up worked.

Appreciate all the help.

r,
eagle
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 05:10 PM   #6
Howiefied
Pole Position

Just wanted to say thank god for this thread, i was going nuts trying to work out why my passenger window wouldn't roll from the drivers control panel.

Many thanks to esp to rhoxs.
Howiefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 11:10 PM   #7
richonline
Rookie

Great info thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfelbab View Post
There is a dealer checklist of things to reset when power has been removed. For the windows I believe you need to go to each window and hold the button until the window goes all the way down and back up. For the roof you need to hold the tilt button until the roof tilts, closes, slides back and then slides forward then release. The easiest way to deal with long term storage is to buy a battery minder device. These can be had for as little as $25 at times and will keep your battery in good health.

You might also have lost some of your specific custom settings by removing the power, I can't recall if that is saved in non-volatile memory.

This process has also cleared your car's driving style memory. The vehicle learns from your driving and fine tunes the way it drives based on that history.
Old 09-07-10, 07:45 AM   #8
tfischer
Lexus Champion

Disconnecting the battery is a pain, and not near as good for the battery as a trickle charger, the most popular kind being the "Battery Tender." This charges the battery with a small charge and, to prevent damage from overcharging, senses a full charge and turns off the charging until needed. They are designed for long term storage of autos, motorcycles, etc.
They are not expensive, and come with a connector that attaches tightly to the battery contacts and terminates in a quick disconnect plug that you can leave accessible by the wipers or out the grill, etc.
For the situation you describe, this would be highly recommended.
2004 RX330 w Nav/ML
and Thundercloud Grill

-----
Formerly: 2002 SC430 Black/Ecru
(April 2001 to November 2014)
tfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 08:25 AM   #9
mandyfig

Plus 2 on the above ^^.

Great battery saver. It is a pain to re-initialize everything.
Old 10-20-10, 06:30 AM   #10
chaskim
Pole Position

Send a message via AIM to chaskim
Default Thanks

One more reason why CL is a great place to share information and make friends and enjoy the ownership of a Lexus,

Thanks I needed this information
POWERED BY WINDOWS XP CAR COMPUTER, TRD SWAY BARS, TRD LOWER MEMBER BRACE, UGO FRONT SHOCK TOWER BRACE, L-Sportline Shocks,HID SWAP TO OEM HID 6K, CAR COMPUTER Bla...bla bla bla... Empty pockets HAHAHA

Moving away from Car Computer soon
chaskim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 07:44 PM   #11
StratfordU
Driver School Candidate

Default leaving RX400 hybrid at the airport for a week's vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfischer View Post
Disconnecting the battery is a pain, and not near as good for the battery as a trickle charger, the most popular kind being the "Battery Tender." This charges the battery with a small charge and, to prevent damage from overcharging, senses a full charge and turns off the charging until needed. They are designed for long term storage of autos, motorcycles, etc.
They are not expensive, and come with a connector that attaches tightly to the battery contacts and terminates in a quick disconnect plug that you can leave accessible by the wipers or out the grill, etc.
For the situation you describe, this would be highly recommended.
Any suggestions on what to do to keep the battery alive in the airport parking lot during a weeks vacation out of town?
Thanks
StratfordU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 07:50 PM   #12
Carver
Lexus Champion

How old is your battery? If it's in good condition it will survive a week without starting.
Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 06:37 AM   #13
tfischer
Lexus Champion

A week! If your car won't start after sitting for a month, you should find out why. Also, all decent airport parking lots have trucks with jumper cables, as weak batteries, especially in the cold, will fall below the threshold needed to turn the engine over.
2004 RX330 w Nav/ML
and Thundercloud Grill

-----
Formerly: 2002 SC430 Black/Ecru
(April 2001 to November 2014)
tfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 07:44 PM   #14
jakenbake
Pole Position

All of the resets are in the owners manual.
jakenbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 07:44 PM