RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Year to Year Changes to Make the RX Quiter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 09:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The German cars are catching up fast as far reliability is concerned. European cars shown the biggest improvment reliability wise in the last 5 years according to JD power. As far as I am concerned, Lexus have been resting on their reputation for relaiblity for far too long, they havent done much to improve their cars, in fact, I think they have gone downhill in a lot of areas.
Come one Lexus, if the Germans can make cars almost as relaible as Lexus, why cant Lexus make a car that is as solid and handles like a European car. Oh I forgot, Lexus use to make cars that are built soild, but they have gone cheap in their material lately. Just goes to show you, you might think you can save a penny here and 2 cents here, but in the end it will catch up to you.
Old 01-07-09, 11:49 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
The German cars are catching up fast as far reliability is concerned. European cars shown the biggest improvment reliability wise in the last 5 years according to JD power. As far as I am concerned, Lexus have been resting on their reputation for relaiblity for far too long, they havent done much to improve their cars, in fact, I think they have gone downhill in a lot of areas.
Come one Lexus, if the Germans can make cars almost as relaible as Lexus, why cant Lexus make a car that is as solid and handles like a European car. Oh I forgot, Lexus use to make cars that are built soild, but they have gone cheap in their material lately. Just goes to show you, you might think you can save a penny here and 2 cents here, but in the end it will catch up to you.
I suspect this is a US problem rather than a global Lexus problem here. I've had 3 Lexus and no issues with any of them (all Japanese built). Top quality all round.

When they construct in foreign countries, manufacturers source parts and materials locally.
Old 01-07-09, 12:40 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

true, and you guys pay a lot more for your Lexus than we do too.
Old 01-07-09, 01:57 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Actually I believe the workmanship fit and finish and materials in the LS460 are superior to any older Lexus I've owned and any current German vehicle I've driven.

The RX is another matter. The RX doesn't seem to be as quiet as it should be nor as advanced. The ML audio system is not up to my expectations either.

Don't get me wrong, I still believe the RX is a great mid-sized Luxury suv. I just think it could and should be better. Sadly I don't like what I see in the new 2010 model.

Last edited by jfelbab; 01-07-09 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-07-09, 02:08 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Actually I believe the workmanship fit and finish and materials in the LS60 are superior to any older Lexus I've owned and any current German vehicle I've driven.

The RX is another matter. The RX doesn't seem to be as quiet as it should be nor as advanced. The ML audio system is not up to my expectations either.

Don't get me wrong, I still believe the RX is a great mid-sized Luxury suv. I just think it could and should be better. Sadly I don't like what I see in the new 2010 model.
Sadly I don't like what I see in the new 2010 model.

I second that
Old 01-07-09, 08:48 PM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by runningox
Is that muffler replacement can be done covered by powertrain warranty?
It's probably a case of whether or not your car qualifies. I simply got a letter from Lexus asking me to bring it in.
Old 01-08-09, 05:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Actually I believe the workmanship fit and finish and materials in the LS460 are superior to any older Lexus I've owned and any current German vehicle I've driven.
The LS' competition is the Audi A8, BMW 7 series and the MB S-Class. All 4 have about the same workmanship and quality of material, all put together very well. Although the A8 and the 5 series handles much better than the LS and to a certain extend, even the S-Class drives better than a LS. Thats a big negative for the LS, its a boring car to drive. Unless you have a chauffeur driving you around, its hard to justify buying the LS.
Old 01-08-09, 06:05 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The LS' competition is the Audi A8, BMW 7 series and the MB S-Class. All 4 have about the same workmanship and quality of material, all put together very well. Although the A8 and the 5 series handles much better than the LS and to a certain extend, even the S-Class drives better than a LS. Thats a big negative for the LS, its a boring car to drive. Unless you have a chauffeur driving you around, its hard to justify buying the LS.
No, it all depends on what you are looking for in the way of ride comfort. I like the LS as a touring vehicle. I also live the chauffeur idea as I can then sit in the rear and get a good massage. For me, it rides better than the Audi. the BMW or the MB. Their ride is too harsh for my tastes. Different Strokes.
Old 01-08-09, 07:34 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The S-class is actually pretty soft, about the same as the LS, but handles a bit better. The new LS was surpisingly stiff comapre to the last gen. I guess Lexus is starting to realize not too many people want to drive a big boat around.
Old 01-08-09, 09:01 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

I always thought the LS competes with the E Class and 5 Series V8 models like the E550 and 545i. Because all 3 sedans are mid $60,000. As the S Class starts at $80,00 or more I think.
Old 01-19-09, 08:15 AM
Junkxus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried anything to reduce your noise level to an acceptable luxury level?