RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Hard Of Steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 07:34 AM
jeffyjeff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Of Steering

My 2005 RX330 has 140,000 kms...and I am now witnessing frequent periods of hard steering. I even sometimes find that after I turn a corner, the steering wheel doesn't return back to straight as I move through the turn - I have to forcefully return the steering back to straight steering. There is plenty of power steering fluid, and there are no abnormal whining noises from the power steering assembly. And since the ease of power steering does still work...I suspect that a ball joint needs looked at. Any thoughts?
Old 01-04-09, 08:07 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

It seems power assist is working, thus you can eliminate the ps-pump .. but there can be problem with valves and the actual fluid. You may like to suck-out or drain and refill.

Castor, is the angle that helps bring the wheel back. It can be a suspension issue or steering-linkages (ball joint etc) but rack and pinion malfunction can be there. Major problem can be observed by using large leverage bars and screw drivers, but for a developing problem, you have to lift the front wheels off the ground (the weight of the vehicle has to be overcome) if it sits on ground.

Salim
Old 01-04-09, 09:55 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

are you hearing any screaching sounds when it is "hard to steer"?
Old 01-04-09, 10:07 AM
jeffyjeff
Driver School Candidate

...no I am not hearing any abnormal sounds when I am turning. I also notice that it gets marginally worse in the colder weather.
Old 01-04-09, 02:56 PM
jeffyjeff
Driver School Candidate

...I did a lot of driving today and after the car warms up (20 minutes)...I see no problems with the power steering. So it appears that the problem only occurs when the car is not completely warmed up. I don't think it's ball joint related then.
Old 01-14-10, 08:26 AM
benzino1
Driver School Candidate

same issue here with my 2004 rx330. A week ago, noticed the power steering was tight and didn't return back to straight. I noticed the reservoir was empty. Refilled and did a quick purge. Solved it temporarily, but it's back. Problem is more noticable when everything's cold. Once it's warmed up, everything is good. I'll be checking for leaks tonight and maybe try purging the system again. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 01-14-10, 08:49 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

^ Where did the fluid go? Leak will not only loose the fluid, but also affect the working if it is in the pressure side.

Salim
Old 01-15-10, 07:24 AM
jeffyjeff
Driver School Candidate

As my steering got consitantly stiffer and stiffer...I decided to take it into the dealer. The problem was a seized up lower "U" Joint located on the steering column. Apparently Lexus has had plenty of problems with this issue. Sounds like the same issue with your car.
Old 01-15-10, 08:55 AM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jeffyjeff
As my steering got consitantly stiffer and stiffer...I decided to take it into the dealer. The problem was a seized up lower "U" Joint located on the steering column. Apparently Lexus has had plenty of problems with this issue. Sounds like the same issue with your car.
^ I did not know this was a common issue on the 330's. Thanks for the update. How did the dealer handle the situation, cost wise that is?
Old 01-26-10, 07:50 PM
benzino1
Driver School Candidate

Finally brought to the dealership. was exactly the same problem the op had. replaced the lower steering shaft for a grandtotal of 640. 300 for the part itself. Has anyone done this for their Rx? I'm wondering how difficult this project would be?
Old 01-27-10, 04:32 AM
jeffyjeff
Driver School Candidate

From what I gathered from the technician who performed the work...these steering joints can either be quite easy to take out - or an absolute nightmare. And there isn't really any gauge as to which way it will go prior to starting. When he did it on my 2005 RX...he said it was on the nightmare side.
Old 01-30-10, 03:10 PM
navilexus
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffyjeff
My 2005 RX330 has 140,000 kms...and I am now witnessing frequent periods of hard steering. I even sometimes find that after I turn a corner, the steering wheel doesn't return back to straight as I move through the turn - I have to forcefully return the steering back to straight steering. There is plenty of power steering fluid, and there are no abnormal whining noises from the power steering assembly. And since the ease of power steering does still work...I suspect that a ball joint needs looked at. Any thoughts?
I had exact same problem with my wife RX350 2007 and it was only 37K miles. I took to the dealer twice (IRA Lexus of Danver, MA), at one point they kept for a week. They didn't find anything. I had all the report including my statement tell them the problem. I am alway ready to blame the dealer if I crash and Lexus.

The problem that I had was only right turn. Every time I turn right it stuck it doesn't want to return back straight.

is the link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-straight.html
Old 01-31-10, 05:29 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by benzino1
Finally brought to the dealership. was exactly the same problem the op had. replaced the lower steering shaft for a grandtotal of 640. 300 for the part itself. Has anyone done this for their Rx? I'm wondering how difficult this project would be?
$340 for the labor to do this job means ~5 hours of work. Let's say 4 hours of real work. Wow, I can believe it is a huge fix.
Old 02-06-10, 07:41 PM
benzino1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
$340 for the labor to do this job means ~5 hours of work. Let's say 4 hours of real work. Wow, I can believe it is a huge fix.
the labor total was 343.75. should've gotten their labor rate, but dealers are usually north of 100/hr.
Old 05-20-11, 03:59 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by benzino1
Did the repair fix the problem? My dealer in Ottawa wouldn't guarantee that replacing the u-joint would solve the problem.

Rusting in the joint seems to be the culprit. I have an 2004 model with about 180,000 km. As soon as I'm not too busy at work or at home, I will be filing a complaint to Transport Canada on a number of issues:
- bracket to air suspension sensor, broke - essentially lost suspension while on a long drive; bumping up and down on the highway.
- two rear wheel bearings
- difficulty steering

These seem safety related to me and hope that with enough people reporting problems to NHTSA and Transport Canada, Lexus will recall for these problems.

Quick Reply: Hard Of Steering