RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

CUT & Program any LEXUS KEY without DEALER

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-12, 12:17 PM
rusty10248
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which locksmith did you go to in minnesota?

Hi I also live in minnesota and just bought a key for $85 from the site you suggested. I planned to take it to a locksmith and get it cut and then to the toyota dealer to program.(toyota dealer said they won't cut the key and locksmith said they couldn't program) Anyways I had it cut yesterday and they cut it wrong so now i am having to buy another key. What was the name of the place you got yours cut at and programmed? THANKS!
Old 09-20-12, 08:23 PM
andresatp
Driver School Candidate

Just lost my only master key, had to get it replaced in a hurry, so my only option was to take it to the dealer....$480 Fu^%%$%^ dollars.... what a bunch of BS. That was at Lexus of Austin in case any one wants to know....
Old 09-24-12, 03:19 AM
Annettesam
Driver School Candidate

I finally got a key a few weeks back. I called lexus and they said that it would be $480 total. $50 for key cut $120 for labor n the remaining for parts. I was like oh hell no. So i went on ebay ordered a key with an included transponder for $71 and it arrived in about a week then i took it to lexus to have them cut it and that was $50. I then had them program the transponder for $54 when the lady over the phone said it would be over $100 to program it. So altogether i paid less than $180. Sometimes if u go into the dealership the ppl r alot cooler than the ladies on the phone. If you do not have a master key u do have to have the dealership or locksmith program a new one. I suggest if you do not have a spare key u better invest in one now. If u order from ebay from the seller i bought from (mykeyless-1) and if you have a masterkey u can program the spare by yourself and it comes with step by step instructions and you would just need to have it cut yourself. I always suggest getting the key cut from the dealership so you know its a perfect cut. So all you would spend is $71 for key with transponder and $50 to cut. Hope this helps

Last edited by Annettesam; 09-24-12 at 03:22 AM.
Old 09-24-12, 05:05 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Most annoying thing is that my key too now has broken. The split is right where the key meets the plastic body (it looks like it'a fractured around the screw hole). While I was driving on the weekend as I turned the car off it almost completely seperated. I have some heavy sticky-tape holding the thing together. I have read what people have written in this post and thinking of getting the flip-key instead of the stock generic one. I have a spare key as well if this one ends up disintegrating before too long. I just need to make sure that the flip-key is 42mm long so that it is the same size as my key.
Old 12-01-12, 09:06 PM
RandyJ2007
Driver School Candidate

hope this helps someone. I found these key blanks on an electronics site. I doubt you can beat the price for Lexus key blanks at less than $4.
http://dx.com/s/lexus+remote
Old 12-24-12, 12:37 PM
chococat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RandyJ2007
hope this helps someone. I found these key blanks on an electronics site. I doubt you can beat the price for Lexus key blanks at less than $4.
http://dx.com/s/lexus+remote
Thats what I just paid for 2 long keys on eBay. Yes. Very good deal.

And my two cents? I cannot vouch for the RX, but with my ES...when I first bought it used, it came with only one key. I bought two OLD precut keys off eBay, all I wanted was the transponders inside. I removed them, threw the blade away, put them in cheapie eBay blanks. I did the door, shutting, **** turning, breathe holding thing, and re-programmed those two keys myself. I am sure my neighbors thought I was crazy. Found a place locally to cut the blanks. Wa-la! 2 extra keys!

2 Key Blanks - $15
2 old keys w/transponders off eBay - $70
cut locally - $27

Old 01-02-13, 11:53 AM
AmdEmAll
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone in the Detroit // Ann Arbor area know where to get my ebay fob cut and programmed? Toyota just told me they can't.
Old 01-02-13, 01:56 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by chococat
Thats what I just paid for 2 long keys on eBay. Yes. Very good deal.

And my two cents? I cannot vouch for the RX, but with my ES...when I first bought it used, it came with only one key. I bought two OLD precut keys off eBay, all I wanted was the transponders inside. I removed them, threw the blade away, put them in cheapie eBay blanks. I did the door, shutting, **** turning, breathe holding thing, and re-programmed those two keys myself. I am sure my neighbors thought I was crazy. Found a place locally to cut the blanks. Wa-la! 2 extra keys!

2 Key Blanks - $15
2 old keys w/transponders off eBay - $70
cut locally - $27

Have been looking for a local guy to cut the keys, like you I have the key blanks. I have seen the crack on my one and only RX key and need a surgery-transplant soon. I have not tried locksmith shops yet.

$27 as in 2 sets cut? Our type is the router type cutter, not like the traditional ones. Some say it is laser cut I do not think so.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-13, 03:11 AM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Default eBay key cutting

Well, having come from a VW to the Lexus, I missed the switchblade type key fob. So I was happy to find a person on eBay selling an aftermarket kit (1010keys is the seller) that not only has the kit, but does the cutting as part of the service. If you have your key code, they cut the keys before shipping, all you do is transplant the remote module into the new case and good to go. If you do not have the key code, just send a picture of the old key and they decode the key code. I did not have the key code so I did the picture option. The new keys arrived yesterday and work great! So for $30 (usually $47 for two but I had some ebay bucks to spend) I got 2 switchblade cases with cutting included! They also do regular keys and those emergency keys. The amazing thing is, I uploaded the pictures and paid around 8pm and had a shipping notice the next morning and the keys the following day! Amazing service! The only down side, is the new switchblade case is a bit big, and is a bit awkward to use (and a bit cheap feeling), but anyone needing a new normal key would most likely be very happy with the price and service.
Attached Thumbnails CUT & Program any LEXUS KEY without DEALER-keys.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
sohappy1 (05-10-22)
Old 01-07-13, 08:53 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Having worked at a parts dept at a Lexus dealership (and cut many, many keys), I have yet to see a Ebay key shell thats the same quality as OEM. I know we sold an aftermarket shell that was thicker than Ebay key shells. They seemed to hold up pretty well. Also some really really cheap key shells, the metal shaft was actually not the right thickness and would jump out of our machine when cutting. This would obviously screw up the key. So you have the understand the hesitation that some dealers may have cutting aftermarket shells. And we used the term "laser cut", no we didn't use lasers. It's just the term used. It's a router style cutting machine. Toyotas just started using (last couple of years) that style key for cars with keyless entry (for the valet key), so your local Toyota dealer may or may not have the proper machine. I know we cut keys for our sister Toyota store. As others have stated, programming the keyless and immobilizer is two different things. I
couldn't tell you for sure how to do this without using our tech laptop. Because we never had to, we have the laptop. But yes, some locksmiths do have an aftermarket machine that can do the programming.
Old 01-07-13, 11:19 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by offroad200
Having worked at a parts dept at a Lexus dealership (and cut many, many keys), I have yet to see a Ebay key shell thats the same quality as OEM. I know we sold an aftermarket shell that was thicker than Ebay key shells. They seemed to hold up pretty well. Also some really really cheap key shells, the metal shaft was actually not the right thickness and would jump out of our machine when cutting. This would obviously screw up the key. So you have the understand the hesitation that some dealers may have cutting aftermarket shells. And we used the term "laser cut", no we didn't use lasers. It's just the term used. It's a router style cutting machine. Toyotas just started using (last couple of years) that style key for cars with keyless entry (for the valet key), so your local Toyota dealer may or may not have the proper machine. I know we cut keys for our sister Toyota store. As others have stated, programming the keyless and immobilizer is two different things. I
couldn't tell you for sure how to do this without using our tech laptop. Because we never had to, we have the laptop. But yes, some locksmiths do have an aftermarket machine that can do the programming.
Thanks for the great information offroad200. Good information.
Old 01-24-13, 11:37 AM
lexuspcl88
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Lexus key

Originally Posted by ac921ol
The master key CUT from Sewell is 146.00, this does not include programming of the key. Do you think I can find it for cheaper and get it cut for cheaper ok n eBay? Maybe 1010keys if they are still open?
No no.you should stick with sewell. They are good and reliable their prices cool.
Keys are very sensitive and calibrated to a fine degree, so any slip and is you to catch .
I have seen a lot of guys complimenting sewell.
Lexuspcl88
Old 01-29-13, 02:43 PM
yoyo2
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adam8065
I got this on ebay and they even cut the key for you. All you have to do is drop put in your key transmitter into the new key case.
Do you have a link? I need one for a 2004 RX330.
Old 01-29-13, 03:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by yoyo2
Do you have a link? I need one for a 2004 RX330.
Here is their store:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/1010keys/m.html
Old 01-29-13, 05:34 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I got my switchblade keys from this seller and only had to send a picture of my original keys. They decoded the key code and sent the pre-cut keys and they fit and work just fine.

Quick Reply: CUT & Program any LEXUS KEY without DEALER