Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

grinding noise

Old 10-19-08, 04:04 PM   #1
boblaneibd
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Unhappy grinding noise

My RX 330 (05yr) has a grinding noice coming from the front. The faster you go the louder it becomes. The brakes were replace about a month ago, I had the problem before the brakes were replaced. Has anyone had this problem.
Thanks
Bob L
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
boblaneibd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 04:56 PM   #2
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

can you tell if it's coming from the wheels/suspension or the engine? there is a thead about 8 or 10 below this about a bearing issue. that was rear not front but wonder if it's similar noise to what you are hearing.

GS/RX, SAT Radio, Vais Ipod and Nav Override

Steeped in nihilism and the irrational and seeking an existentially meaningful Lexus experience since 2005.
ecount00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 06:58 PM   #3
boblaneibd
Driver School Candidate

thanks for your response Greg, it sounds like the front end. The vechile is in Canada in a area in which we don't have a Lexus dealer within 200 miles, I have been using the local Toyota dealer and with not much sucess. I going to ask the guys at Toyota to try it one more time if I can't pin point it my wife will drive the RX back to Wash DC where I purchased it for a look.
boblaneibd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 06:27 AM   #4
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

yikes. good luck. let us know how it turns out. force be with you.

Steeped in nihilism and the irrational and seeking an existentially meaningful Lexus experience since 2005.
Old 10-20-08, 08:31 AM   #5
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

they have to have a Lexus dealer before Wash DC from were you are or call the 800 Lexus number and ask them were to take it to get it fix
billy44bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-08, 11:22 AM   #6
howdybob22
Pole Position

Since there's not much info on the problem, could you have the toyota guys look at the ball bearing? Someone in this forum has it going out within 10k miles.
howdybob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-08, 01:00 PM   #7
salimshah

The noise source seems to be related to the wheel rotation. So start with simple stuff related to the wheel and work your way to the transmission.

Although going to Lexus/Toyota dealership/shop would be desirable, but typically it can be diagnosed by any competent mechanic. You may run into warranty repair work reimbursement issue, but I hope Lexus will work with you. So do check with them.

Once you can demonstrate the problem to the mechanic, (s)he can jack up the front and do quite a bit of checking. If the source is the transmission, then I would try the Lexus/Toyota repair shop. [my understanding is that the transaxle work is done in shop, but for transmission the Lexus/Toyota is a middle man.]

Salim
salimshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-08, 02:18 PM   #8
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Might want to if possible have an external observer watch as the vehicle goes by on a side street or elsewhere to pinpoint noise. Sometimes (and I know this all to well from my RX300) that a noise will appear to be somewhere when actually it is only the reverberation of the sound from the road.
Old 10-26-08, 06:04 PM   #9
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

that's good advice. the acoustics in the RX cabin can be tricky. it may not be where you think it is. having someone ride in various passenger seats or someone on the outside as Lexmex suggests is definitely worth a try

Old 05-05-09, 08:52 AM   #10
bagsbie
Driver

wheel bearings... should be noticeable when turning left or right to figure out which side. also, if you jack the car up and try to spin the wheel from which you suspect the noise is coming from you'd hear the noise. grab the wheel at the top and the bottom with both hands and rock the wheel (push/pull) on it, if the wheel moves that is the second indication that the wheel bearings are going or gone. Definitely is not safe to drive with bad bearings. I heard of horror stories of people losing their wheels driving on the highway...
bagsbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 08:52 AM

Tags
end, front, gs300, jack, lexmex, lexus, lexux, noise, rotational, rubbing, rx300, rx330, scraping, sound, spin, transaxle