RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: Do you "Extinguish You Engine" When Fueling Your Car?
Yes - I turn the engine off
91.84%
No - I keep it running
8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Do you shut off your RX when you gas it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-08, 09:48 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you shut off your RX when you gas it?

Ok so I guess I am just stupid. But when I gas my RX; I don't shut it off because I want the AC or heater to run. Since I'm lazy and tired after classes. I cut the gas gap string because I realized it fits perfectly in the Pump notch. Since my my state they took away the notches the stations used to have to so you didn't have to hold. Honestly why? So anyways then I jump back in my car and wait till it fills up. I know your not supposed, but even a full service stations they never tell me to shut the car off. So am I to assume it safe? Plus I read somewhere that modern cars don't really apply to "extinguish engine" because the fuel system is less exposed.
Old 10-09-08, 12:11 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

uhh...if its hot, open the window. if its cold, deal with it for 5 minutes?

plus you can turn off the engine, and turn it back to the ACC position and continue to have AC/heater...
Old 10-09-08, 03:24 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, I guess that is one way to go!

Since I do not want to ever become a human torch, I shut mine off. I also do not get into/out of the car when fueling, make sure I ground myself to the pump housing before I grab the nozzle, and do not use carry a cell phone on me.
Old 10-09-08, 04:02 AM
banjo
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
uhh...if its hot, open the window. if its cold, deal with it for 5 minutes?

plus you can turn off the engine, and turn it back to the ACC position and continue to have AC/heater...
I don't think so...No A/C or Heater with out motor running...
Never leave motor Running while getting gas...Not smart
Old 10-09-08, 04:59 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Referring to the thread title, pretty stupid if you don't turn it off.

Most gas stations I've seen require you to do so anyway.
Old 10-09-08, 06:22 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I do have to admit,when it is really bone chilling cold out (winter time,especially in the evening) I have already let the engine run while fueling up.But I will usually only get around 5 gallons,not fill it while running.
Old 10-09-08, 07:22 AM
tfischer

Received 193 Likes on 146 Posts

It is dangerous to add fuel to a vehicle while the engine is running. It would be a state law, but even the legislators thought everyone knew this. I'd change my habits, because if you get chilly while fueling, you will warm up again, but neither you nor your car will ever recover once that pump lights up.
Old 10-09-08, 07:39 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
It is dangerous to add fuel to a vehicle while the engine is running. It would be a state law, but even the legislators thought everyone knew this. I'd change my habits, because if you get chilly while fueling, you will warm up again, but neither you nor your car will ever recover once that pump lights up.
I agree totally,I think I have only done this 3 or 4 times in my driving life.But it only takes that one time.
Old 10-09-08, 09:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

When I first moved down to Mexico back in early 2002, I used to see this occur all the time, and the stations were all full serve. But as time wore on, I saw signs at virtually every station saying that no gas will be pumped unless the vehicle is turned of.
Old 10-09-08, 09:45 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't think so...No A/C or Heater with out motor running...
Never leave motor Running while getting gas...Not smart
im not sure if the actual AC is on, but the vents continue to pump out air. which should keep you cool or warm for those 10 minutes
Old 10-09-08, 10:21 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

What is legal or not may vary state to state.

What is the liability ... warning signs are plastered all over the place to shut off the engine. If the gas station attendant is vigilant, you may be asked to shut off the engine or denied sale.

If you run the engine with the gas cap open ... your CEL light may come on. [If not instantly .. over time it will accumulate and trip.] <= This may matter most to you ... that was the answer you were looking for.

If parked under shade, there should be enough thermal mass inside the cabin to keep it warm or cold.

What is prudent? I would say turn off and do not count on the back flow sensor to shut the gas off.

Salim
Old 10-09-08, 12:25 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You should always shut off your engine when refueling. Gasoline vapors are EXTREMELY flammable, and a running car has a lot of electricity flowing through the engine compartment, etc., which can also cause static electricity build-up in the body of the car (ever been "shocked" when trying to open a car door?????) and sparks from your body to the car body can ignite the fuel and cause MAJOR flash or an explosion.
Old 10-09-08, 02:08 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no car running, no cell phone while fueling. maybe the odds are long of an incident but it only takes one. i have seen people fill their cars while running. don't get it. i try to stay far away.
Old 10-09-08, 04:48 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This must be a joke, no one would think it is OK to refuel with the engine running. I even take out the keys so no one can jump in & drive off on me. It has happened many times.
Its called :" CAR JACKING"
Old 10-09-08, 05:02 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Turning engine off while fueling is just common sense

Quick Reply: Do you shut off your RX when you gas it?