RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Do you refuel your loaner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-08, 12:15 PM
nowstime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you refuel your loaner?

Hi!

I asked this question in another topic as a reply but wanted to get more opinions of others regarding refuel your loaner.

I always refuel my loaner when my RX was in service but somebody wrote that they don't refuel theirs.

Is it ok not to refuel the loafer since I'm already paying for the scheduled service which includes the cost of the loaner?
Old 09-11-08, 12:24 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default We always refuel our loaners

More as a courtesy to the next driver than anything else.
Old 09-11-08, 12:45 PM
wsps
Driver School Candidate

Mine charge $4.99/gallon if I do not refuel. So, I guess this is a big motivator.
Old 09-11-08, 12:50 PM
DakotaRX
Driver

About 4 years ago I had a problem with my 98 GS300 that required it to be taken to the nearest Lexus dealer in Wayzata, MN, about 300 miles from Jamestown. It was a problem with the air bag system and required them to get parts from Chicago or someplace. Anyway they did not have them on hand and it would be at least two or three days before being repaired. Lexus of Wayzata gave me an ES330 loaner to drive back to Jamestown. I asked them if I needed to return it to them and to refill or not and their reply was that I didn't need to as they would have someone bring the GS back to me following repair and pick up the loaner. Driving back I did stop and refill about a half tank in Fargo but when my GS was brought back three days later I asked the driver if he wanted me to fill it (would have taken about 1/4 to 1/3 of a tank). He said no need to as he had a card and would fill it up sometime on the way back to Wayzata. Said it was just part of their way of saying thank you for being a "Lexus Owner". Needless to say I bought my 2005 RX330 Thundercloud off their showroom about 10 months later. By the way, the GS300 was in three times total over two years for air bag problems and everytime it was covered under warranty (safety items are required to have a 7 year warranty). Electrical boards were replaced twice and a harness once.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud in Thundercloud Mist
1998 GS300 Previous and 1st Lexus
Old 09-11-08, 01:32 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i get charged $5.00 a day for a loaner for fuel charge. ($8.00 if im not close to the service advisor).

...and i get the car always with as little fuel possible.

but i always, or try to, refuel it to where i got it.
Old 09-11-08, 02:06 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

yes of course, its both a courtesy and I don't want to be charged for fuel by the Lexus dealer
Old 09-11-08, 02:58 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Didn't have to replace the gas about a year or so ago.Now my dealer requires bringing the vehicle back with the same amount of fuel.
Most likely because of the big spike in gas cost.
Old 09-11-08, 05:12 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

i try to take it back with approx the same amount of fuel as i when i got it but i have never even discussed it with my service tech. couple of times i was pressed for time and didnt put any fuel in it and it never came up. didn't drive a ton of miles but enough the guage would have moved. last loaner was about 3 months ago. maybe it would be different now
Old 09-11-08, 05:40 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I try to bring the loaner back with about the same amount as I do get the loaner with less than a full tank. They use to provide the fuel years back once I remember that I stopped by to see if my vehicle was ready the answer was no so I said the gas tank was low they drove me to a gas station filled it up (He never paid must have had an account) back to dealer and I was set. Had my Prius in once and I filled up the loaner another lady failed to she was told $5 a gallon and this was in 2006 she moaned groaned grumbled she then conceded and went for gas. Boy was she mad. They had signs posted and all FILL UP GAS TANK OR PAY $5 A GALLON
Old 09-11-08, 05:51 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

I use Lexus Of Wayzata and Lexus of Maplewood which have the same parent company owner. The policy is what Dakota said... no refueling required. They will also give you just about any loaner you want. They generally give a GS to a GS owner, but if you want to try something different just ask and if it's available they'll let you use it (loaner fleet).
Old 09-11-08, 06:10 PM
banjo
Driver

Originally Posted by Chpsk8
I use Lexus Of Wayzata and Lexus of Maplewood which have the same parent company owner. The policy is what Dakota said... no refueling required. They will also give you just about any loaner you want. They generally give a GS to a GS owner, but if you want to try something different just ask and if it's available they'll let you use it (loaner fleet).
Here In Austin Texas that subject has never come up any time I have had a loaner..I assume it is not a issue...Lexus Of Austin...
Old 09-11-08, 06:41 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

the dealer i go to for warranty work usually gives me a loaner even for short services. i never fill it back up, since they said dont worry about it.
Old 09-11-08, 06:41 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I usually don't have a loaner for very long or drive much distance but I try to replace the fuel I use. The last time I got a loaner, a few months ago, the dealer had started to add a reasonable amount as a fuel charge and I thought that was fair when gas was getting close to $4.00. On the other hand, I believe their labor rate is $120 per hour or more so assume they have built in the cost of the loaner cars.

Dave Mac
Old 09-11-08, 08:51 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read the small print on the paperwork you sign for the loaner. Mine says they will charge $5.99 a gallon if I don't return it with the same amount of fuel it went out from the lot.
Old 09-12-08, 02:55 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My dealership requires you to return the car with the same amount of fuel as you received the car with. If you don't, just like any rental car they will charge you a $ amount. I don't know what they charge for fuel at the moment since I haven't gotten a loaner in a while. Just like any rental car, I check what they charge for a gallon of gas, and if that cost is higher than regular gas I fill up on my own. Sometimes that price is actually lower, and if so I elect to pay the stipulated gas price and not fill up.

Quick Reply: Do you refuel your loaner?