RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Maintenance Service in Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-08, 01:42 PM
glacer27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance Service in Lexus

My RX330 is due for 30,000miles maintenance service. I do not want to go back to the dealer for service since it's way toooo expensive to me. Is there anyone could share your tip for maintenace service for me? Currently I send the car to Wheel works for every 5000miles maintaince service. For the big serivce like 15,000 (it was done by Lexus dealer) and 30,000, I think it would be the best if I could send it to the origianl dealer for the professional fine-tune. But I really can't afford it. Does anyone try Toyota's service for your Lexus maintenance? Appreciate your feedback.
Old 09-08-08, 03:10 PM
Hanzo
Driver School Candidate

I have not had Toyota dealership do my maintenance yet. But I did ask them about it and they said they can do the maintenance work at their dealership using genuine Toyota/Lexus parts. However they also advise me that they do not do warranty work for Lexus vehicle. How much Lexus dealership charge you for the 30k maintenance work? I did 2 oil changes with them and they charged me average $144-$200 Canadian dollar.
Old 09-08-08, 03:22 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

Speaking from experience, there's only a few things that I might remotely consider using a dealer for, such as a software upgrade for the ECM. However, of the work that I don't DIY, the only one that I won't touch are belts, timing belt, water pump, and I'll take that to a good independent who works on Toyota/Lexus and will (assuming I have the time) work with them to insure the job is done right.

However, I found with the RX series (and that even goes from my experiences with those with the 2nd generation RX) most things can be done by independents.

However, you can specifically ask Lexus not to do certain things (that you can DIY or that an independent can do cheaper). I'd need to see a list of the stuff for 30K and I'd know myself.
Old 09-08-08, 05:06 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Just had my 08 RX 10k service done at the local Toyota dealer for $46.58. They did all the checks, rotated tires and inspected the brakes. The only thing that I had to check on was they only charged me for 5qts of oil, I checked and it is full with the 6+ that it takes.They told my wife they could do all the maintinance on my RX.
Old 09-09-08, 01:43 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgr7
Just had my 08 RX 10k service done at the local Toyota dealer for $46.58. They did all the checks, rotated tires and inspected the brakes. The only thing that I had to check on was they only charged me for 5qts of oil, I checked and it is full with the 6+ that it takes.They told my wife they could do all the maintinance on my RX.
the dealer probably chrged half what a lexus dealer would charge for the same service if not more. to the OP, just find out what the service entails and have an independent shop do the work.
Old 09-09-08, 08:10 AM
pusan8
Driver School Candidate

I agree that Lexus dealer charges way too much for service (I am in Atl, GA). I was quoted $546.00 and all they are going to do is change oil, rotate tires (both of which have been done on a regular basis) and just check and look. I also check with a couple of Lexus certified garage and the quotes varies from $346 with oil change, air filter and cabin filter change and tire rotation to $400. The one place that charge $400.00 will change out the transmission fluid.
Old 09-09-08, 01:31 PM
glacer27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jgr7
Unbelievable, I paid $289 for 10K service and $493 for 15K service (labor cost almost $300!!) I'm checking with Toyota dealer here definitely.
Thank you for your input.
Old 09-09-08, 01:38 PM
glacer27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hanzo
I have not had Toyota dealership do my maintenance yet. But I did ask them about it and they said they can do the maintenance work at their dealership using genuine Toyota/Lexus parts. However they also advise me that they do not do warranty work for Lexus vehicle. How much Lexus dealership charge you for the 30k maintenance work? I did 2 oil changes with them and they charged me average $144-$200 Canadian dollar.
Isn't it crazy to charge $144-200 for oil change? What's the real difference if the oil change by wheelworks or pepboys for premium oil change for $39.99?
They told me 30K service would cost around $600 in standard.
Old 09-09-08, 05:19 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

My 10K from the local Lexus dealership was $65.

My 20K from the local Lexus dealership was $73.

My 30k from the local Toyota dealership was $291. Lexus wanted $520 for the same service.

My 40k from the local Lexus dealership was $86.
Old 09-09-08, 06:28 PM
BBHanks
Rookie

Just had my 07 in to the Lexus dealer for the 30k and it was $302. Oil,filter,brake fluid change and tire rotation and a wash job..but I did get a 08 rx350 with a full tank of gas. I returned it with less than a half tank after 4hours...had to get some of my money back..The 60k I will do myself...
Old 09-11-08, 10:00 AM
nowstime
Driver School Candidate

Aren't you suppose to refuel the loaner? Just curious...since I refueled the loaner everytime I had my RX in service.
Old 09-11-08, 11:40 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nowstime
Aren't you suppose to refuel the loaner? Just curious...since I refueled the loaner everytime I had my RX in service.
you probably should as courtesy. i never refuel the loaner. my advisor is nice to me and gives me a loaner even for short services or for warranty work. nice to drive the GS loaner.
Old 09-11-08, 05:40 PM
Todd
Pole Position

Default What you are getting is a $40 oil change and an air filter you don't need

Just keep receipts for oil changes and NEVER NEVER NEVER get dealer scheduled maintenance, it is a rip. Read the maintenance items in your manual. There are things such as coolant, tranny oil and brake fluid changes that are necessary. Just ask that they be done when you have an oil change. Otherwise you will end up spending thousands, literally, for oil changes. Just read you maintenance manual and apply some common sense.

There is an advantage to the dealer doing an oil change in that they do a decent inspection anyway in trying to one- assure the vehicle is safe and two- to see if they can drum up some more work while they got it.

My dealer does an oil change for about $40. And, basically they check everything they would check if you paid for a normal maintenance that alternatively would have cost you $225 or so. Like I indicated before, check your maintenance manual and specifically ask for additional services like transmission, coolant or brake fluid changes and pay for them as separate items not part of a "scheduled" maintenance
Old 09-11-08, 07:07 PM
arima
Rookie

Are all these services really necessary? I had new cars before, but this is my first Lexus. Besides changing the oil, transmission fluid, brakes, and air filter I have done nothing much my cars. Every car I had lasted and never broke down, from a 93 civic, 00 grand Cherokee, 02 Maxima, and 99 BMW. I got all these cars new and never really serviced them like the way you guys do. Am I in for a surprise with my 09 350? My brother in-law has the 02 Rx, he never did anything except change the oil, brakes once, and a one set of tires, no kidding. Are all these scheduled maintenance really necessary? I have never kept a car over 100K miles, maybe that's when a well maintained car pays off.
Old 09-11-08, 08:56 PM
DN328
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arima
... I have never kept a car over 100K miles, maybe that's when a well maintained car pays off...
I think there are always exceptions, but I think you don't see the benefits of a "well maintained" vehicle until you start hitting 6digits...IMO

Personally I keep my cars for a long time, and I probably wouldn't be as meticulous if I was changing vehicles say, every 3-5 years.

Quick Reply: Maintenance Service in Lexus