RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Poor Quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 11:32 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by banjo
Hey guys...Not being a do it your self type person I just want to know if all the things Lexus says you need to do on the different service schdules are really important...I love my rx but can't afford the service...Please tell us what we need other than oil changes...I have a 08 RX 350 with 16000 miles and have had everything done at Lexus so far....Thanks
you can always do what i do which is just get oil changes and other necesssary things like brakes,tires, and skip the rest. but if you are not leasing that may not be the best idea. you can always look at the service intervals and see what each service is made up of and get it done somewhere outside the dealer. for example i think the 5K service is an oil change, tire rotation, and inspection. you can get an oil change for 20-30 bucks outside, get a free tire rotation at costco/sams/ or most tire places for free, or you can go to the dealer and most likely pay 100 or more. and please dont bash this person for not being able to afford the service, cuz i know someone is going to jump in with the "if you can;t afford the service, dont buy the car" garbage. my car only goes to the dealer for warranty work and thats all. my last brake job and air filter cost me 450 at an outside shop, whereas the dealer quoted me 750.
Old 09-05-08, 11:18 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AM1
from what i hear most luxury nameplates charge a lot for service. i dont have an issues per se with lexus fees, but more for their absurd maintenance schedule. you can always save money by going to a toyota dealership that is willing to do lexus service or not follow the schedule like what i do (dont')do.?
I don't get it:

1. You guys pay far less than the rest of the world for vehicles (My RX350 cost the equivalent of US$79K) but still complain about the cost of vehicles;
2. Putting Point 1 aside and assuming that whatever you pay for vehicles is on parity with wages etc, I read constant complaints about the cost of fuel, servicing etc regardless of the brand of vehicle;
3. If you can't afford or are unwilling to service a vehicle as it should be then simply don't buy it. Lexus servicing from my experience (and I have owned European so-called "luxury" marques for many years) is an absolute bargain (Own a BMW or a Merc and you will understand). Skipping servicing requirements is not a cost saving in the long term;
4. The maintenance schedule is what it is, a schedule that the manufacturer believes will ensure the vehicle is maintained properly. The RX350 is basically a once every 10,000 miles service or every 12 months so again I don't understand the issue. That is not an unreasonable interval.;
5. Maintenance intervals are not just about replacing parts on a vehicle that wear out. It is also about "preventative maintenance" (IE checks on items that could wear out). I've had the "variable depending on how you drive it" service light vehicles and that technology can mask a range of things that could have been found under normal preventative maintenance at prescribed intervals
Old 09-08-08, 03:57 PM
samster16
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow.... I was actually considering purchasing a used RX300/RX330 until I read this forum.

It seems that Lexus don't really have a hang of making SUVs and trucks. They make great quality sedans though I think.

I'm just glad many of the GS owners on this board don't feel the same frustrations as the RX owners.

Sorry for your problems. I should think about a RAV4 instead now.
Old 09-08-08, 04:10 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by samster16
Wow.... I was actually considering purchasing a used RX300/RX330 until I read this forum.

It seems that Lexus don't really have a hang of making SUVs and trucks. They make great quality sedans though I think.

I'm just glad many of the GS owners on this board don't feel the same frustrations as the RX owners.

Don't make your decision based solely on a couple of vocal owners here. I have owned about 30 new vehicles in my life including an LS400 and think my 04 RX is the best of the breed. I've not had any issues. No rattles, no noises, no problems with the ride. I get get great mileage and it is quite comfortable and the right size for my needs.

But hey, don't just take my opinion, look at what thousands of owners had to say about the RX in the Consumer Report ratings.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-08-08 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 04:20 PM
jednav
Driver

I love my 07 350, too. Canadian built. For those not happy with it, push off the cliff, and get on with life. Yeah, life is short to whine about such petty things. Money is for spending - wisely, foolishly, and at times wrongly.
Old 09-08-08, 04:23 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Every vehicle forum has people complaining about this and that problem.
Old 09-08-08, 04:58 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

No problems here with my 08 RX350, and never had any with my 2000 RX300.
The wife loves this SUV.
Old 09-08-08, 05:17 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Enjoy your RAV4. Post some pics here when you buy.
Old 09-09-08, 01:37 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

since anything i say that is even 1 percent negative is gonna get deleted, not all cars like all RX's are perfect and im sure there are quite a lot of RX's that have very little or no problems at all. the point though is that the RX compared to some of the other cars lexus makes appears to have more major problems, though again not every RX will or has any of those problems. my rx has had more then the the norm, which to me seems like trouble for a maker that is known for quality. for example my mom is on her 4th LS model starting from the LS400 to the LS430 and all the cars have had almost no problems at all, my old RX300 had issues but very little compared to my RX330 now. coupled with consumer reports no longer automatically recommending new lexus models and actually taking some models of their recommended list. seems to me that would cause some concern, if it doesnt then thats fine also. that goes with toyota models also.....it is what it is. seems like whenever anyone says anything bad they get cut down, but thats ok too, ive accepted that lexus quality is slipping, my local lexus dealer service advisor has also, have a nice day everyone!
Old 09-09-08, 05:19 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AM1
since anything i say that is even 1 percent negative is gonna get deleted, not all cars like all RX's are perfect and im sure there are quite a lot of RX's that have very little or no problems at all. the point though is that the RX compared to some of the other cars lexus makes appears to have more major problems, though again not every RX will or has any of those problems. my rx has had more then the the norm, which to me seems like trouble for a maker that is known for quality. for example my mom is on her 4th LS model starting from the LS400 to the LS430 and all the cars have had almost no problems at all, my old RX300 had issues but very little compared to my RX330 now. coupled with consumer reports no longer automatically recommending new lexus models and actually taking some models of their recommended list. seems to me that would cause some concern, if it doesnt then thats fine also. that goes with toyota models also.....it is what it is. seems like whenever anyone says anything bad they get cut down, but thats ok too, ive accepted that lexus quality is slipping, my local lexus dealer service advisor has also, have a nice day everyone!
I agree that every Marque will have issues but sometimes people expectations are unrealistic.

It might help if we knew the context of your problems ie what were the problems you have experienced?
Old 09-09-08, 05:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

All the new Lexus sedan have serious quality issues, maybe except for the LS460. About 50% of the IS, GS, ES have serious rattle and squeak problems along with other various issues. On the other hand, the new Lexus SUV are actually good as far as quality.
Old 09-09-08, 07:37 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by AM1
...coupled with consumer reports no longer automatically recommending new lexus models and actually taking some models of their recommended list. seems to me that would cause some concern, if it doesnt then thats fine also. that goes with toyota models also.....it is what it is. seems like whenever anyone says anything bad they get cut down, but thats ok too, ive accepted that lexus quality is slipping, my local lexus dealer service advisor has also, have a nice day everyone!
Not a cut down but what Consumer Reports are you reading? Here is a subset of their current "Best of the Best" list.

Article here:http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...view/index.htm

To minimize the risks, look for vehicles that have proved to be reliable. The following lists of models from 1998 through 2007 will steer you to the gems (and away from the duds) among the thousands of used vehicles on the market.

BEST OF THE BEST

These are models that have performed well in CR road tests over the years, and have proved to have several or more years of better-than-average reliability.

Lexus ES
Lexus GS (RWD)
Lexus GX
Lexus IS
Lexus LS
Lexus RX
Lexus SC
Toyota Avalon
Toyota Camry (except '07 V6)
Toyota Camry Solara
Toyota Celica
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Echo
Toyota Highlander
Toyota Land Cruiser
Toyota Matrix
Toyota Prius
Toyota RAV4
Toyota Sequoia
Toyota Sienna
Toyota Tundra (except '07 V8 4WD)
If you examine their "Worst of the Worst" list you will not find a Toyota or Lexus model on it.

In analyzing owner satisfaction they say this about SUV' owners:
The next largest group is SUVs, led by the Lexus RX350, Ford Edge, and Toyota Land Cruiser.
Old 09-09-08, 07:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

That just goes to show you, consumer report is not as accurate as they use to be. You can say that cunsumer report is having quality control problems too Consumer report are the people who claim the AWD GS is not as reliable as the RWD due to poor instruments and dash components. Someone should tell them that the AWD and the RWD GS shares the same instruments and dash components.

Last edited by The G Man; 09-09-08 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-09-08, 08:01 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by The G Man
That just goes to show you, consumer report is not as accurate as they use to be. You can say that cunsumer report is having quality control problems too
Actually this is not their data, it is a compilation from thousands of owners. So it must be that all Lexus and Toyota owners are nuts huh? LOL
Old 09-09-08, 08:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The sampling poll size are too small, another example of consumer report trying to save a few bucks. In years pass, they dont even survey and just give Toyota and Lexus high marks from pass merits.
I been driving Toyots and Lexus for almost 15 years, the quality on the old Lexus were simple the best in the industry, bar none. there is no way that these new Toyota and Lexus are as built to the same quality as they use to be. All that cost cutting, a penny here and a penny there are finally starting to catch up to Lexus.

Quick Reply: Poor Quality