RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 RX350 - ready to trade it - miss my Highlander....

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-08, 09:55 AM
DogLady
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 RX350 - ready to trade it - miss my Highlander....

Well I bought my new 2008 RX350 (Breakwater Blue) several months ago, it has about 12k miles thus far - everyone says how do you like your new car and I say - I wish I had never bought it - I miss the extra space my Highlander had. We have been on 2 trips with it and never enough space to pack suitcases for 2 adults and 1 small child. I am ready to trade it in on a Sequoia or 4 Runner. Anyone have any experience what it is like to trade a higher priced Lexus for a lower priced SUV. My husband says I am crazy but when I am paying for a car that cost this much I should at least like it - right?
The Navigations system has been wrong on several trips - it would say turn left when you were actually supposed to turn right.

It also doesn't have that luxury feel that I think it should have - maybe because it is AWD and has the larger tires - I don't know - Anyone want to buy it?
Old 08-29-08, 10:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

if you trade in now, be perpare to lose about $10,000. If money is no object, then do it. If you look at the cargo space for a RX vs a highlander or 4runner, its pretty close. If you need more cargo room, maybe you can fold down one of the seats or get a roof top cargo box. Buying a Sequoia would be bucking the trend right now. No one is buying those things, who knows, you should be able to get a great dealer on them now.
The RX is a entry level luxury SUV, its definity more lexurious than the 3 SUV you have mention. Are you thinking that luxury is a soft ride?
Old 08-29-08, 11:20 AM
fud
Rookie

what tires do you have on your car? Perhaps get some new Michelins may help with the ride.
Old 08-29-08, 12:02 PM
davidsong
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DogLady
Well I bought my new 2008 RX350 (Breakwater Blue) several months ago, it has about 12k miles thus far - everyone says how do you like your new car and I say - I wish I had never bought it - I miss the extra space my Highlander had. We have been on 2 trips with it and never enough space to pack suitcases for 2 adults and 1 small child. I am ready to trade it in on a Sequoia or 4 Runner. Anyone have any experience what it is like to trade a higher priced Lexus for a lower priced SUV. My husband says I am crazy but when I am paying for a car that cost this much I should at least like it - right?
The Navigations system has been wrong on several trips - it would say turn left when you were actually supposed to turn right.

It also doesn't have that luxury feel that I think it should have - maybe because it is AWD and has the larger tires - I don't know - Anyone want to buy it?
if you want cargo + space + luxury and you WANT toyota or lexus brand, then why not go for a LX570 or the new Landcruiser? those are the top of the line full size SUV. anyhow, good luck with your decision...

Last edited by Lil4X; 09-07-08 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Removing insulting remarks
Old 08-29-08, 12:21 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Ouch, too bad you never thought about the cargo space when (or if) you test drove it and drove it off the lot.
Old 08-29-08, 12:26 PM
DogLady
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davidsong
if you want cargo + space + luxury and you WANT toyota or lexus brand, then why not go for a LX570 or the new Landcruiser? those are the top of the line full size SUV. anyhow, good luck with your decision...
Lexus claims to be the "luxury cars" - I just don't get this feeling from mine and as for the larger Lexus SUV models - I think they are ugly. I am not saying that I think a Toy. 4 Runner or Sequoia is necessarily a luxury vehicle but I like the looks and the size a whole lot better than the larger Lexus SUVs. I do think my Highlander rode better, handled better than my RX350 does. I am also not a car person - I love an SUV, but it has to look good and the ones I have seen from BMW isn't an attractive vehicle to me. Thanks for responding.

Last edited by Lil4X; 09-07-08 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Removing above reference
Old 08-29-08, 12:44 PM
DogLady
Driver School Candidate

Yeah - I kind of do feel like luxury is part of how a car drives and feels - not just how it looks on the inside.
Old 08-29-08, 01:42 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Trade it in for the biggest Lexus SUV you can get. Should not be too much of a loss at todays conditions & you will feel better about it too. Then you will have all the space + luxury.
Old 08-29-08, 02:13 PM
davidsong
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Trade it in for the biggest Lexus SUV you can get. Should not be too much of a loss at todays conditions & you will feel better about it too. Then you will have all the space + luxury.
you should read the above post, DogLady has already said no to full size SUVs.
Old 08-29-08, 02:15 PM
davidsong
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DogLady
Lexus claims to be the "luxury cars" - I just don't get this feeling from mine and as for the larger Lexus SUV models - I think they are ugly. I am not saying that I think a Toy. 4 Runner or Sequoia is necessarily a luxury vehicle but I like the looks and the size a whole lot better than the larger Lexus SUVs. I do think my Highlander rode better, handled better than my RX350 does. I am also not a car person - I love an SUV, but it has to look good and the ones I have seen from BMW isn't an attractive vehicle to me. Thanks for responding.
how about Mercedes? have you considered the ML class or the GL class? the ML by Mercedes Benz, in my opinion, has better handling, feel, and luxury than compared to that of an RX.

I too have an RX, it's a hybrid, i dont drive it at all.... it is just sitting in the garage collecting dust
Old 08-29-08, 02:19 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have an RX, it's a hybrid, i dont drive it at all.... it is just sitting in the garage collecting dust
Haha, give it to me
Old 08-29-08, 09:16 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

What the heck do you bring along for 2 adults and one child that won't fit in the back of an RX? If you can't get 3 suitcases and a stroller in the back you need to take out the portable meth lab to make more room.

I'm wondering if you test drove it before you bought it. A vehicle is the second largest purchase a person will make. I make sure I take a car for the entire day to test drive it. If the dealership wont' let me take it for the day I go find another one. For the record I have only had one dealer not let me take it all day.
Doing this allows you to take it home, go grocery shopping with it, pack it full of your stuff, etc...
So now you bought this vehicle and don't like it. Trading it will cause you to take quite an expensive hit on depreciation. Then you'll pay a premium for a different vehicle so yippee... you lose twice.
Old 08-29-08, 10:07 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

its funny how you keep comparing your RX to your great highlander.

seeing as how they are practically the same car. did you have the old body style, or the new one?
Old 08-29-08, 11:31 PM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

how about Mercedes? have you considered the ML class or the GL class? the ML by Mercedes Benz, in my opinion, has better handling, feel, and luxury than compared to that of an RX.

Originally Posted by lu1de
Haha, give it to me
NO!!!!..................give it to MEEEE!
Old 08-30-08, 01:48 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

what i find funny is that instead of being helpful, most of you are making fun of her for wanting to go back to a highlander. personally i dont think the RX is a luxury car, to me its just a glorified toyota. the RX has a garbage suspension setup not soft and not firm, just in the middle ground where it bounces over every bump in the road like a car with cut springs. anyways, mine is going back to the dealer really soon

Quick Reply: 2008 RX350 - ready to trade it - miss my Highlander....