RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Power Liftgate question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-08, 04:42 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Power Liftgate question.

Hi there.

I have an '08 RX350. I had the liftgate programed in the way that if I press on the rubber pad above the license plate, it clicks and then the electric motor takes it over and opens it. Recently I noticed that if the car sat for more than about 5 minutes, I push on the rubber pad, it clicks and unlatches, but I have to press on it a second time before the elecric motor comes on and opens the door. If I try to open it again within 5 minutes, it works on the first click.

During the 5K miles service I asked the service guy about it and he told me that they've never heard of this before. He was able to replicate the "problem" and after making some phone calls he told me that they would need to replace the switch inside the back door. Last Monday I took the car in, they replaced the switch but it didn't help. The service guy told me that would have to replace the computer, which they did today. However, it did not fix the problem either.

The service guy called me this afternoon and told me that they programmed 3more RX350s that were sitting on the lot in the same manner mine was programed, and all 3 of them did the same thing< it would take two clicks to power-open the door. He then called their regoinal office in LA and spoke with some Lexus electronic God there. He was told that it is normal, that after about 5 minutes the system goes into a power-saving mode and then you have to push on the rubber pad/opener twicebefore power motor kicks in.

I am surprised that nothing like that is mentioned in the owners manual and that they replaced both the switch and the computer before the figured that nothing was wrong. I wonder if this is really the case, or they just can't fix it and are trying to get me out of their hair.

So, those of you who had the personalized settings re-programed on the rear door and it is power-assisted from the outside, does it take one or two clicks to actually power-open it. My RX is still at the dealership, but I have to pick it up tomorrow before noon.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-08, 07:42 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Nobody? Come on, guys. I need this info before tomorrow!
Old 08-20-08, 07:56 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like my 05.
Old 08-20-08, 08:49 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

how is this different from the normal setting?
Old 08-20-08, 09:23 PM
arnieosp
Racer

"Normal" or default setting is when you have to manually lift it up without the assistance of the electrical motor. I am not sure about the 330, but on the 350 you can personalize some of the settings.
Old 08-20-08, 09:33 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

oh nice. but if you hands are free anyways to push the rubber pad, you might as well just take out the key and push the button
Old 08-20-08, 09:43 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Yes. Except #1: I don't always have a remote in my hand and #2: I paid over $39K for a brand new car and I want everything to work the way it supposed to.
Old 08-20-08, 11:19 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have an 05 qnd that doesnt happen. but then again there are times when im right by the back liftgate and even when using the open button on the key i have to push it twice to get it to respond
Old 08-20-08, 11:30 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by AM1
i have an 05 qnd that doesnt happen.
You mean every time you squeeze that rubber pad above the license plate, it clicks and the motor kicks in and opens it? You never have to push on that pad twice?
Old 04-13-14, 10:03 PM
gaga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rx350 liftgate problem can you help

I am new to this forum so please help me out.
when the liftgate and back driver door are both open at the same time...i push the electronic button on the liftgate then close the back door almost at the same time the gate is about to lock
. it prevents the liftgate from latching. the airflow dynamic forces the air out the back and the gate remains unlocked. not noticing this you drive along through a dip and the gate flies open. the beeping does not happen until you are at a faster rate of speed ,this has happened to me 3 times. the fourth time i caught it before i started driving and was able to lock it before i turned on the engine. (hope i am explaining this correctly). i am not sure why the latch doesnt lock (engage)at all(not even one click). it was pretty scary when it happened.
all answers 100% welcome. i am happy to explain further if i wasnt clear enough..thanks
Old 04-14-14, 08:55 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus gaga. According to your forum profile you own a 2013 RX350. This question should be posted in the third generation forum. (link below). In any event this problem would be covered by the Lexus warranty. Why not take it in to the dealership?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...eneration-212/
Old 04-15-14, 11:21 AM
gaga
Driver School Candidate

Default Liftgate rx350 lexus

HI, i took your suggestion and posted it in 3 gen.. hope someone has some suggestions on how to handle this so my car gets fixed. i felt safer in my english car which is totally ancient..i never thought i would have issues like this in a so called uber safe car..omg!
the whole thing is so depressing..
Old 04-15-14, 11:50 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gaga
HI, i took your suggestion and posted it in 3 gen.. hope someone has some suggestions on how to handle this so my car gets fixed. i felt safer in my english car which is totally ancient..i never thought i would have issues like this in a so called uber safe car..omg!
the whole thing is so depressing..
If you have a 2013 then you are under warranty. Why worry? Call, make an appointment, and they will fix it for you.
Old 04-15-14, 12:01 PM
gaga
Driver School Candidate

hi, they are saying its a product liability issue . they dont want to fix it or dont know how to fix it. they dont have to give me a loaner when its at corporate toyota..hows that for amazing
Old 04-15-14, 12:05 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gaga
hi, they are saying its a product liability issue . they dont want to fix it or dont know how to fix it. they dont have to give me a loaner when its at corporate toyota..hows that for amazing
I see you posted over at 3rd Generation, so this conversation should take place over there for consistency sake.

Quick Reply: Power Liftgate question.