RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

help with installing techstream (sorry, no pirated software discussion allowed)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 08:43 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts
Default help with installing techstream (sorry, no pirated software discussion allowed)

I bought Techstream lite software off of e-bay and I installed it on my laptop. Now I have to figure out several things, so I need some help.

First, the DVD had several versions of Techstream - 7.10/7.11, 7.20, 8.0, 9.30.002 and 10.10.018. I installed the 10.10.018 figuring I would go with the latest and greatest. Is this OK for my 1007 RX or should I use an earlier version?

So when I run Techstream, everything I select takes me out on the internet to register the program, which requires me to subscribe to the Toyota Techstream site. Did I get the wrong version of software because I really don't want to have to be paying every time I use the stuff.

I would appreciate if someone could clarify this for me. Thanks.
Old 10-25-16, 08:34 PM
guyrat7
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so i am not alone. Losing sleep these days trying to get the drivers installed for the OBD cable and failing miserably.
Check this site and search on this site. it has some good resources to help you.

http://blog.obd365.com/2016/02/22/ho...am-v10-30-029/

From what I understand, setting up of TS is quite straight forward but the cable drivers are the problem.
Do let us know if you are able to get the cable drivers installed and cable active.

If you do a google search for your version installation steps and add 'obd365.com' you should find the relevant article through that blog site. Good Luck! have some scotch ready if the cable drivers are hard to find or install.
Old 10-26-16, 07:52 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Thank you for the link. I read that and to me it isn't super explanatory. It has actually added more questions, so the task is still rather large. All I can do is keep trying.
Old 10-27-16, 08:09 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I've never heard of Techstream lite, did you get a key or subscription time with your purchase? If you keep getting the pop up to register, techstream is installed properly, it's just not activated.

Use Techstream 10, 7 will not communicate with most of the RX's ECU's, I tried it on my 330. Not to sure about 8 or 9 but 10 works with everything I tried it on.
Old 10-27-16, 08:15 PM
guyrat7
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
I've never heard of Techstream lite, did you get a key or subscription time with your purchase? If you keep getting the pop up to register, techstream is installed properly, it's just not activated.

Use Techstream 10, 7 will not communicate with most of the RX's ECU's, I tried it on my 330. Not to sure about 8 or 9 but 10 works with everything I tried it on.
Lexuswiz, how hard was it to get the obd cable drivers installed and get the cable active? I have installed all the drivers available on the internet and still cannot get the cable to get recognised. any tips? my os is win7 64bit if that makes a difference
Old 10-27-16, 08:23 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by guyrat7
Lexuswiz, how hard was it to get the obd cable drivers installed and get the cable active? I have installed all the drivers available on the internet and still cannot get the cable to get recognised. any tips? my os is win7 64bit if that makes a difference
Very easy but I'm using Windows XP Pro 32 bit on a junk laptop. It runs best on XP for some reason, even BMW software I used to play with. That's where you and many are having trouble by doing it on a 64 bit OS. I tried installing this on W7 Pro 64 but it requires special drivers and some file manipulation it just went over my head. Not saying its not possible but it was more hassle then booting XP on an old laptop I have.
Old 10-27-16, 08:33 PM
guyrat7
Rookie

Very easy but I'm using Windows XP Pro 32 bit on a junk laptop. It runs best on XP for some reason, even BMW software I used to play with. That's where you and many are having trouble by doing it on a 64 bit OS. I tried installing this on W7 Pro 64 but it requires special drivers and some file manipulation it just went over my head. Not saying its not possible but it was more hassle then booting XP on an old laptop I have.
thank you for that. gonna try that. hopefully that will solve my problems! fingers crossed.
Old 10-28-16, 12:23 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Techstream Lite is just the software and a cable for you to install and use on your existing laptop. Full Techstream is a laptop with the software already installed.

I did not get a key with the software to activate it, which is why it always goes to Toyota TIS website. Watching a video that is in the link guyrat7 provided shows going to to the CD the software came on and using some file. The CD I got does not have that file. I ordered my Techstream on e-bay, from some place in China. That is looking more and more to be the reason for my problems.

The CD does have a cable driver on it called "mvci driver for Toyota.msi". But when I go to install it, it goes through the process and then ends with an error saying it cannot run some file that ends in .cmd. I am going to contact the seller and see if they A - can speak English and B - have any idea of what needs to be done.
Old 10-28-16, 05:38 PM
overzero
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I had the same problem. I guess because we got a non-original software, we don't have registration key. It seems only original software purchase legally (probably by dealer or autobody shop) can have access to TIS (that Toyota website). So, here is the solution for you (by deactivate TIS function):

http://blog.obd365.com/2014/12/15/ho...tration-error/
Old 10-28-16, 08:05 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Thanks for the link. I checked it out and it is for an older version of Techstream, version 8. The link posted by guyrat7 is for version 10. Both links have installation videos that have you using files on the CD that I do not have on my CD. In spite of your time and efforts, this isn't what I need.

But thanks again.
Old 10-29-16, 09:33 AM
overzero
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I meant to answer only about registration key. If you are able to install the software, and get full menu of TSI, the software will ask you to enter registration key. However, you can trick the software, and not using functions that only accessible to dealers:

1. Install TechStream Software
2. Install Mini VCI Driver
3. After installing the software, double click TISKEY.exe
4. Go to C:\Program Files\Toyota Diagnostics\Techstream\Env\
Open file: IT3System.ini
Edit the line than has: ITSFunction=1 to ITSFunction=0
Save the file.
Old 10-29-16, 12:49 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by overzero
I meant to answer only about registration key. If you are able to install the software, and get full menu of TSI, the software will ask you to enter registration key. However, you can trick the software, and not using functions that only accessible to dealers:

1. Install TechStream Software
2. Install Mini VCI Driver
3. After installing the software, double click TISKEY.exe
4. Go to C:\Program Files\Toyota Diagnostics\Techstream\Env\
Open file: IT3System.ini
Edit the line than has: ITSFunction=1 to ITSFunction=0
Save the file.
This works, but you need to change the file before you start TS for the first time, otherwise it will not work and you will be stuck in the registration loop. If you have already started it, remove it and reinstall.
Old 10-30-16, 10:15 AM
DennisMik
Racer

The problem that I have is that I do not have the additional files such as TISKEY.EXE on my CD. I am attempting to communicate with the place I bought it from, but they are in China.
Old 10-30-16, 11:02 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Try it without that step, I believe the TISKEY.EXE was for the older version. I remember using it for 8 but not 10.