RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Hitch and Bike Rack Questions for 08 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 09:03 AM
jennifert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch and Bike Rack Questions for 08 RX350

I have read through several older threads and need some further information. I have decided to get the OEM lexus hitch after reading about the aftermarket ones. I will only be using this hitch to attach a bike rack and carry 1 or 2 bikes. Here are some questions that I have -

- Can the hitch be installed without the wiring and lights? I don't need them since I will only be attaching a bike rack.

- Is the install hard to do yourself? I was considering trying to do it myself, but am a little wary because I have never done anything like it before.

- If I can't do this myself, can I take it to u-haul and will they install it for me (OEM Lexus hitch, not a u-haul hitch)?

- Are there any recommendations for a bike rack?

This will be my next mod. I have already gotten my front windows tinted and the ipod interface installed. I am considering on getting the steps, but am not sure yet.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jen
Old 07-29-08, 02:21 PM
Who_Me
Rookie

Default Not Sure About the Wiring

Jen,

I had the OEM hitch installed 18 months ago (and have never used it). It was my understanding that the hitch "kit" contains all the wiring, so you would have to pay for it whether you want it or not. That might be best anyway, because pre-wiring would be a selling point when you sell the car.

I don't think I would go to U-Haul to have a hitch installed. It probably isn't that difficult to install if you have the right tools and the installation instructions (and the time). If you can't do the installation yourself, I would recommend going to a locally owned "Mom & Pop" camper/boat business. They will probably do a better job and be more reasonably priced.
Old 07-29-08, 03:17 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I would recommend the wiring, if for no other reason the resale value. You never know when you might be at a tag sale and find that 25 foot power boat for $2000 that you might want to drag home.

There are other things to put in a hitch than a bike rack. I have a big plastic box (5x3x3 foot) that fits into the receiver to carry stuff. It is great for camping gear. But it is big enough to cover up the break lights, so you have to connect up the wiring harness to it to use its auxiliary lights, for instance.
Old 07-29-08, 05:32 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts

I had a factory hitch installed at a Midas shop while on a visit to the US last fall. Took them 10 minutes. Easily a DIY job. Did not install the wiring as I don't intend on pulling a trailer. Hitch comes with detailed instructions to install wiring that requires a lot of dismantling/reassembly to make one simple connection. There is a post on the forums from a member who used a creative approach from underneath. Do a search to find that.

I bought a Thule rack that slides into the hitch. Many styles exist. I chose the one that has the support for the wheels not the suspension type. Mine actually folds up when not in use.
Old 07-30-08, 02:08 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the hitch "package" comes with the wiring harness. I have seen a few on ebay as well. I myself bought the aftermarket unit, but I bought the OEM harness from Sewell for about $50 with the discount here.

Its fairly easy to install, about 4 bolts from what I remember. The wiring harness takes a bit of work however.
Old 07-31-08, 06:32 AM
jennifert
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for everyone's input. It sounds like somewhat of an easy install, so I might just try it myself. I definitely won't need the additional wiring, so that will save me a lot of work. I don't think I will be buying a boat anytime soon, as I do not know how to drive one, and I also just recently bought a new place and new car, so I do not have the extra $$ to burn

I'll also check out the thule bike racks.

I appreciate everyone's help.

-Jen