RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Seat Position Memory Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 06:42 AM
k5mbh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Position Memory Adjustment

Hi,

New to the Club - just purchased an RX 350 for my wife last week. We found several things that needed to be reinitialized, such as the moonroof, power rear door and windows. It looks like there may be one more thing. From reading in the forums here it sounds like others have seen this issue as well.

In order to adjust the seats with the memory buttons, it is necessary to start the vehicle. Not a problem for her, because my seat setting is all the way back and as low as the seat will go. But her setting is just about as far forward and as high as the seat can be set, and I just can't get in the vehicle with it set there to start the engine. So to my question.

Is there an initialization for the seat memory that makes it work by pressing the buttons without starting the vehicle?

Thanks!
Rory
Old 07-21-08, 08:51 AM
k5mbh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
You can the turn the key slightly (radio mode?) without starting the engine. Then press the seat memory button.
That still requires getting into the vehicle - which I can't when the seat is in my wife's memory position. I have read posts that indicate that the proper operation should allow the buttons to be pressed after opening the door without getting into the car. Ours doesn't work that way. A lot of other functions had to be reinitialized because the car had sat on the showroom floor for several days with the battery disconnected. I'm just trying to figure out if there is an reinitialization for the memory seat switches like there is for the moonroof, windows, and power rear door, or if there might be another problem. Or....maybe I'm mistaken and our car can't be configured so that the memory seat switches will work without getting into the car.

Just trying to figure out if I'm banging my head on the A-pillar for nothing.
Old 07-21-08, 10:21 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Huh? Maybe something has changed from my 04 RX but I can open the car door and press the desired memory button and the seat will move to that location. I don't need to be in the car nor do I need the key to make this happen.
Old 07-21-08, 11:03 AM
k5mbh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Huh? Maybe something has changed from my 04 RX but I can open the car door and press the desired memory button and the seat will move to that location. I don't need to be in the car nor do I need the key to make this happen.
On my wife's '08 RX 350 you must have the key in the ignition and in the Acc or Run position for the seat memory buttons to work. It's not technically necessary to be sitting in the driver's seat, but the key must be in Acc or Run. Doesn't seem to be necessary for the motor to be running.

Rory
Old 07-21-08, 11:37 AM
k5mbh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
I guess it's changed now with the newer models.
That's what I'm trying to find out....has it changed, or is there an initialization for the seat memory like there is for the moonroof. Can't seem to get that answered.

The battery in my wife's car was disconnected for about three weeks while it was on the showroom floor. Everything else in the car that I know about had to be initialized. The dealer's make-ready department missed the moonroof, and I had to do it myself. I did the rear door and windows "just because". I am just wondering if there is anything else they might have missed. Is there a comprehensive list of those things that need to be reinitialized after an extended battery disconnect?

Rory
Old 07-21-08, 12:51 PM
banjo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k5mbh
On my wife's '08 RX 350 you must have the key in the ignition and in the Acc or Run position for the seat memory buttons to work. It's not technically necessary to be sitting in the driver's seat, but the key must be in Acc or Run. Doesn't seem to be necessary for the motor to be running.

Rory
That is strange...My 08 350 you can just hit 1 or 2 button and the seat moves without any key or person in the vehicle...Yours must not be programed correct...
Old 07-21-08, 01:00 PM
k5mbh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by banjo
That is strange...My 08 350 you can just hit 1 or 2 button and the seat moves without any key or person in the vehicle...Yours must not be programed correct...
I agree. And I've read references in other threads to the same behavior you describe. That's why I'm wondering if maybe there's some secret initialization sequence you have to do with the seat memory to make it work correctly.
Old 07-21-08, 01:17 PM
banjo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k5mbh
I agree. And I've read references in other threads to the same behavior you describe. That's why I'm wondering if maybe there's some secret initialization sequence you have to do with the seat memory to make it work correctly.
I would drive it by my dealer and let em set it up right...
Old 07-21-08, 01:19 PM
k5mbh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by banjo
I would drive it by my dealer and let em set it up right...
I'm going to do that if I can't find an answer here - it's just that the dealer is 75 miles away, and I'm trying to avoid a trip there if I can.

Rory
Old 07-21-08, 02:04 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

Rory, I am assuming that you have tried to push the seat button on your RX before you have got in the vehicle and it did nothing. If that is the case then you will have to turn the ignition on for the seat button to work but that should initialize the memory buttons so that the next time you should not have to put a key in the ignition and turn the motor on. I am also assuming that the seat buttons have been programed with the transmission in park. If you have done all that and it still requires that you get in or turn the motor on than you need to have your dealer address the problem.
Old 07-21-08, 02:10 PM
k5mbh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
Rory, I am assuming ...<SNIP>
All your assumptions are correct. I suppose I'll have to play hooky at work and take it in.
Old 07-22-08, 08:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Is there a way for the dealer to program the key fob to a seat memory? You might want to ask them that.
Old 07-22-08, 08:43 AM
k5mbh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
Is there a way for the dealer to program the key fob to a seat memory? You might want to ask them that.
It is my understanding that on the RX it is not possible to program seat memory to a particular key remote.