RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Overhead RX350 rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-08, 10:41 AM
jmaynard
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overhead RX350 rattle

I've got a buzzing kind of rattle in the overhead center console in my 2007 RX350. I know it's there because pushing up on the panel with the sunroof controls quiets it. Any ideas on how I can get behind there to tighten down whatever it is that's rattling?
Old 07-20-08, 11:35 AM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

It's still under warranty I assume. Take it to the dealer.
Old 07-20-08, 11:32 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

My wife's 08 RX350 has identical sound in the same place. It sounds almost like if the light cover is loose. I don't want to go to the dealer just for that because it's about 45 miles away.
Old 07-21-08, 02:32 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

did you check the roof rack? It is adjustable, and if one of the catches is not engaged fully, it will rattle.
Old 07-21-08, 03:05 AM
jmaynard
Driver

Originally Posted by arnieosp
My wife's 08 RX350 has identical sound in the same place. It sounds almost like if the light cover is loose. I don't want to go to the dealer just for that because it's about 45 miles away.
Same here, except that the closest dealer is 125 miles away.
Old 07-21-08, 03:05 AM
jmaynard
Driver

Originally Posted by biff44
did you check the roof rack? It is adjustable, and if one of the catches is not engaged fully, it will rattle.
No...I don't think that's it, because we can quiet it by pushing on the inside, but I'll look in a little while.
Old 07-21-08, 11:27 AM
k5mbh
Driver School Candidate

Hey Jay!

Got Janet an RX 350 last week. I think I saw a service bulletin about rattling moonroof noises on Lexushelp.com.

Check out this link http://forums.lexushelp.com/local_links.php?catid=46

It might be what you're talking about.

73 - k5mbh
Old 07-21-08, 11:46 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts

My '08 RX is in the shop today for the 4th time to address a creaking noise in the roof. They have replaced the sunroof and done several other things in the past 3 visits. I am no longer impressed with the car. Everytime they dismantle it to get at the inside of the roof, they raise the potential for damage to the various interior bits they take apart. Now the door sill plates no longer align with the side trim, on any of the 4 doors. That's what I can see; imagine what it's like where I haven't looked yet or are able to see. Add to that the drivers seat is starting to creak. Result is a very expensive car that is getting very annoying to drive. I wish we had US style lemon laws here. I've raised cane with the service manager and dealer owner. Apparently my complaint note went right to Lexus Canada. That dealership currently has an add running on the radio with the general gist that Lexus is relentlessly in persuit of perfection. Apparently they haven't achieved that with my car yet. Seems others here are having the same or similar issues.
Old 07-22-08, 05:18 AM
jmaynard
Driver

Originally Posted by k5mbh
Got Janet an RX 350 last week.
I always knew you had good taste. BTW, in case you haven't put a hole in the roof for an antenna yet and are planning to, beware: there's something below the center of the roof in the rear above the headliner. Make sure you get forward of that.

I think I saw a service bulletin about rattling moonroof noises on Lexushelp.com.
I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 07-22-08, 06:24 AM
jmaynard
Driver

Check out this link http://forums.lexushelp.com/local_links.php?catid=46

It might be what you're talking about.
If you're referring to SB NV001-08, that doesn't look like it; that addresses noises coming from the front corners of the moonroof. This one's in the middle. Good thought, though.
Old 07-22-08, 07:19 AM
k5mbh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmaynard
BTW, in case you haven't put a hole in the roof for an antenna yet and are planning to, beware: there's something below the center of the roof in the rear above the headliner. Make sure you get forward of that.
**** OFF TOPIC WARNING FOR ALL READERS WHO AREN'T JAY ****

I'm going to put in a D-710 and an AvMap G5 for her. Now that the D-710 does SmartBeaconing it makes more sense to put in a real radio than something that's just a dumb tracker.

You got pictures of where you punched the hole? I'm very interested. I'm going to use the Comet B-10. I haven't decided if I'm going to use the NMO version or not, but I'm leaning that way so that I can screw on a $5 cellular antenna when we sell the car.

BTW, I am expecting delivery of a smart fortwo at the end of next month. That's going to be my weekender. It's getting the D-710/AvMap G5 installation as well. I'll have to do something else for an antenna, though. The whole skin of the car is plastic, and mine is a ragtop as well. I'll probably have to do an on-glass antenna, as badly as I dislike that.
Old 07-23-08, 01:44 AM
jmaynard
Driver

You got pictures of where you punched the hole? I'm very interested.
I'll get with you offline about it...no sense tying up this forum for a discussion nobody's interested in.
Old 07-23-08, 09:48 AM
mcmills
Driver School Candidate

Default Rattles!!

I have a 2007 RX350, bought new 2/07 from dealership. I have brought my RX to dealership over 5 times with an overhead rattle. The first 3 times they "test drove" and did not hear the rattle. The 4th time they replaced the moonroof and it still rattled. The last time I brought the car in after speaking to everyone except the owner. They kept my car for 2 weeks working on the rattle which was getting so loud you could hear it over the radio. When I got the RX back the rattle was gone for about 2 weeks. They told me I could expect a rattle anywhere 2 body parts are joined! How many body parts are joined?!? I owned a 2000 ES300, which is now driven by my daughter. The ES has never had a rattle. It s also a smoother ride and much more quiet than the RX. The rattle is so bad now I am looking for another car. Lexus has really let us down with the rattles, noise and overall ride of the RX. After reading the posts on the ES I will probably not purchase another ES either. If I have to put up with these problems, why spend top dollar.
Old 07-18-11, 06:01 PM
JKramer55
Driver School Candidate

Does your car have a roof rack. If so, check the clamp between the rails and the side racks. At speeds over 50 MPH mine rattles.
Old 07-18-11, 08:15 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
It's still under warranty I assume. Take it to the dealer.
Most likely the 2007 is not under factory warranty. Lexus is a brand that will introduce a model one year early. For example my 2007 RX first entered service in April 2006.

Quick Reply: Overhead RX350 rattle