RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

McGard Wheel Lock Key

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 09:28 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts
Default McGard Wheel Lock Key

I almost lost my key for my wheels, left it at the service shop who balanced my wheels a month ago, luckily it was still there....what if I lost it? I can just see me chiseling away on the lock......

Here's the question: I have bought 3 sets of the wheels locks off ebay, I do not have the original serial numbers for me to be able to order a spare fromMcGard.

What can we do today to get a spare? There is no serial number on the keys. I am pretty sure somebody has thought about this question.

One day you will lose the key and you will be in big doodoo. Better prepare and have a spare for each one of your cars.....spare key...

Agree?
Old 07-03-08, 09:38 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I almost lost my key for my wheels, left it at the service shop who balanced my wheels a month ago, luckily it was still there....what if I lost it? I can just see me chiseling away on the lock......

Here's the question: I have bought 3 sets of the wheels locks off ebay, I do not have the original serial numbers for me to be able to order a spare fromMcGard.

What can we do today to get a spare? There is no serial number on the keys. I am pretty sure somebody has thought about this question.

One day you will lose the key and you will be in big doodoo. Better prepare and have a spare for each one of your cars.....spare key...

Agree?
When you bought the car, and added the McGard as an option, your new car things should have come with a small metal piece 1/4" x 1" (roughly) with serial number stamped on it. Your Dealer may have a copy of it too.

If you use AAA (I think they can get any wheel lock off). If on your own you will be stranded. Worst case you can break the stud off (desperate thief do that).

My key, stays with the tools and for wheel issue, I always leave it in the middle tray and look for it on pickup.

Having a spare is an overkill. (imho)

Salim
Old 07-03-08, 10:00 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't like wheel locks for just that reason - and in fact probably have at least two sets that I would sell you with the key and the cards. You could solve the problem by just replacing the lock with the regular lug nuts as I do as soon as I get a new car. The salesperson always says he/she can get me a set for free but the mechanics who have them never want to give them up and I end up buying a set - about $20. I suppose it depends on where you park but my cars usually just have stock (chromed) wheels and are garaged and the last time I lost a set of wheels (and much more) was 1967.

Dave Mac
Old 07-03-08, 01:33 PM
mandyfig

Dave, what you said makes sense. Really, I do not park the RX overnight in places that would be target areas.

I was just wondering if somebody has found a way to get a spare key without having the serial number as Salim mentioned. I bought this set from ebay and needless to say no serial numbers.
Old 07-03-08, 07:56 PM
FamilyD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare McGard Wheel Lock Key??? Piece of Cake!!!

Go to any Toyota Dealer... Parts Dept/Service Dept should have a complete set of Master Keys... find the one that fits & order that key. Been there... done that... cost $15.

Little Joe
Nashville, TN
Old 07-06-08, 11:38 AM
mandyfig

Little Joe, thanks a bunch! I will visit my local Toyota dealer! As they say, better safe than sorry.