RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Plastic trim cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-08, 09:35 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Plastic trim cleaner

there's a black plastic trim attached to the lower body sides and it is PITA to clean. Looks like ours has some haze residue from old wax, road tar etc. I'd tried cleaner wax, clear coat paint polish, Armor All by wiping with moist cloth then drying, but the haze won't go away. Any suggestions?
Old 07-01-08, 09:48 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

If you have used any polymer based wax like Nufinish, then it will be very hard to get it out. I have used product BacktoBlack with good short time results. It seems to smother it for a while till it washes off.

Salim
Old 07-01-08, 10:01 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
If you have used any polymer based wax like Nufinish, then it will be very hard to get it out. I have used product BacktoBlack with good short time results. It seems to smother it for a while till it washes off.

Salim

wish Lexus made those panels of a different material...
Old 07-01-08, 11:46 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Pick up some "Black Wow" LINK

That should take care of it for good. Does for me anyway and I'm OCD when I detail haha
Old 07-01-08, 02:40 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I say this cautiously, and hope Al Gore isn't listening. I moisten an old rag in gasoline and wipe the surface down. It removes wax that has been inadvertantly rubbed on it. One pass with the rag and then I switch to a clean spot on the rag and wipe again. Once that is done, I wash the area in soap and water.

I suppose that there are good wax removers but I use a very nice solvent, thank you.

Gary
Old 07-01-08, 05:29 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Paint it....problem solved.....same as body color....
Old 07-01-08, 05:46 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

I have heard the folks at the Mini Club meets often talk about using smooth peanut butter with good results. No joke.

Disclaimer: I have not used it myself so I can't make any claims either way.
Old 07-01-08, 06:22 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CEOEngr
I have heard the folks at the Mini Club meets often talk about using smooth peanut butter with good results. No joke.

Disclaimer: I have not used it myself so I can't make any claims either way.

Chunky or smooth.
Old 07-01-08, 06:23 PM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Talking

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
Well, I say this cautiously, and hope Al Gore isn't listening. I moisten an old rag in gasoline and wipe the surface down. It removes wax that has been inadvertantly rubbed on it. One pass with the rag and then I switch to a clean spot on the rag and wipe again. Once that is done, I wash the area in soap and water.

I suppose that there are good wax removers but I use a very nice solvent, thank you.

Gary
Gary-ditto, thanks. I'll try that next time washing her

to eyezack: the stuff could be good but spending $26 for a bottle of it is ridiculous

mandyfig: even costlier solution, that would make the RX lose factory look and decrease the resale value..sorry but not interested in ricing out our vehicle, but thanks for advice

CEOEngr: I had laughs when read your advice. In response, tell the Mini club folks to use 200 -grit fine wet sandpaper on their car, could be much more effective
Old 07-01-08, 06:34 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Black Wow is good stuff. I use this stuff...which lasted a couple weeks longer for my applications...
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Trim_Res...tvd_108_16.htm

I also use this stuff in the wheel wells. Just a couple squirts and walk away. Also great for under the hood. Just dust the loose stuff off with a paint brush, then gun it down quick with this and just the hood. Next day it's just like new...

http://www.chemicalguys.com/UNDERCAR..._p/tvd_104.htm
Old 07-02-08, 04:11 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Chunky or smooth.
Sould have mentioned before "Smooth" only.
Old 07-02-08, 05:48 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CEOEngr
Sould have mentioned before "Smooth" only.
Reduced fat or regular.

I am hoping that you knew the chunky versus smooth was not serious!
Old 07-02-08, 06:48 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Sandpaper will alter the texture of the finish. I'd not use it.

I use Meguiar's #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner. Once clean, it is also protected. The product also has UV protection to keep the black color from turning gray. This product leaves all the vinyl and rubber trim looking new.

This product is from their Professional (Mirror Glaze) line so you might need to mail-order it but it is a very good product to have in your arsenal.

Here is a shot of the weatherstrip on my 18 year old MR2. This car was a daily driver for 12 years and as you can see the trim still looks like new. #40 does a great job of protecting.
Old 07-02-08, 07:18 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Reduced fat or regular.

I am hoping that you knew the chunky versus smooth was not serious!

Below is the link to the Mini Forum. After reading the thread once again, I was surprised to find a mention that MINI USA also recommends peanut oil. Please see response #7, 10, &13.

http://www.metroplexmini.org/forum/s...6&page=1&pp=15
Old 07-02-08, 09:50 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by Kostyan
to eyezack: the stuff could be good but spending $26 for a bottle of it is ridiculous
The thing is, it keeps the trim black for a long time and restores it as well. I've used it on about 10 of my customers cars with a crapload of plastic trim and I've barely even dented the bottle

IMO its the most cost effective since it lasts for months outside 24/7 and oddly enough beads water as well . Its been about 6 months since my last application on my car and it still looks brand new

Quick Reply: Plastic trim cleaner