RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 RX-350 Fuel Octane Rating

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-08, 08:48 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I just wonder how long the premium fuel is siting in their tanks now,due to cost hike?At least you know the regular is fresh.
Old 09-15-08, 09:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
I just wonder how long the premium fuel is siting in their tanks now,due to cost hike?At least you know the regular is fresh.
Gas has to sit for a long time before there's a problem.
Especially when it's in a cool underground tank.
Old 09-15-08, 10:28 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Gas has to sit for a long time before there's a problem.
Especially when it's in a cool underground tank.
True,I didn`t think of it that way,(Being cool underground)
Old 09-15-08, 10:58 AM
AV8R_BOB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Maybe because Lexus engineers recommend premium.
Just use 87 and be happy.
My RX is leased.
I use 89 and an occasional 93 fill.
My GS is a purchase and I use Shell 93.
Don't tell me you would use 87 in a GS.
Even you wouldn't.
There isn't a Toyota model with the exact same engine.
It's not necessarily the engineers recommending it... it may be the marketing dept.

Can't comment on the GS, don't know anything about it.

As for being "happy", I'll be happy using premium IF that's really what it requires. If regular is all it needs I'd rather not waste the money on premium. Yes I know it's only $4 a tankful and yes I can afford it, but I don't like wasting money for no good purpose.

Here's the reply from Lexus...
"Per your inquiry, the Lexus RX 350 has a higher compression motor than the Toyota Highlander, which requires premium gasoline for optimum engine performance. If Premium gasoline is not available, you may use unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating as low as 87. The use of such gasoline will not allow your vehicle to operate at optimum engine performance and may also cause persistent heavy knocking. For more information, please refer to your Owner's Manual or your local Lexus dealership."
This does not clear up anything since the published data shows they both have the SAME compression. I followed up by asking for the compression ratio of each.
Old 09-15-08, 11:06 AM
MARINE
Driver

Well if you use 87 and the manual says premium and if premium is available in your area and your knock causes engine damage.....bet you a price of a new car, Lexus will have your gas tested and determine if you ran premium, if not, YOU would be held responsible as the warranty is void. Is it worth the hassle? I can tell you the extra for premium you paid in five years wont even dent any major engine damage costs.
Old 09-15-08, 11:11 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

It seem`s the bottom line is fairly simple,if you want peak performance,your best fuel millage,use the premium.If your not concerned about the performance,use regular. I just don`t like the idea of my engine running around on retard timing.That cant be good.Higher exhaust gas temp. etc.

Last edited by lexus114; 09-15-08 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-15-08, 11:15 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It seem`s the bottom line is fairly simple,if you want peak performance,your best fuel millage,use the premium.If your not concerned about the performance,use regular. I just don`t like the idea of my engine running around on retard timing.That cant be good.
Ding,ding,ding...we have a winner!!!
Old 09-15-08, 11:17 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Thanks Joeb,thats just how I see it. Looks like Fred is messin around with Barney`s woman hugh?

Ryan

Last edited by lexus114; 09-16-08 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-15-08, 12:14 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seem`s the bottom line is fairly simple,if you want peak performance,your best fuel millage,use the premium.If your not concerned about the performance,use regular. I just don`t like the idea of my engine running around on retard timing.That cant be good.Higher exhaust gas temp. etc.
Now that's what I call straight talk! Good Job!
Old 09-15-08, 03:38 PM
AV8R_BOB
Driver School Candidate

The bottom line is not that simple. If the engine only needs regular, like the (apparently) identical Highlander engine does, then running premium gains you nothing.

BTW, high EGT is good. Peak power occurs at peak EGT.
Old 09-15-08, 03:54 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is what I learned when I worked for GM. Wether they were blowing smoke up my you know what,is another story.They claimed that when you hear that slight ping,every thing is adjusted properly.Meaning ignition timing,air/fuel ratio etc.is all @ the proper settings.
My RX300 has never pinged once in its 130K miles with 87 octane, up or down hills.

My old GM PoS used to ping like a mo fo. Pinging is an engine defect that carmakers don't want to fix during the warranty period. So they call it normal. Typically it's caused by the engine not fully burning the fuel, leaving carbon deposit behind.
Old 09-15-08, 04:53 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AV8R_BOB
The bottom line is not that simple. If the engine only needs regular, like the (apparently) identical Highlander engine does, then running premium gains you nothing.

Not to rain on your parade but I also own an 04 Highlander Limited and it gets better mileage with premium. About 1.5 mpg better similar to my RX330. So continue on with your discussion but I get better performance and mileage with premium. That's all I need to know to make my choice.
Old 09-16-08, 12:40 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i dunno, cuz super high compression engines, turbo, supercharged, engines running nitrous, benefit from higher octane, does vvti count?
Old 09-16-08, 07:01 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Oh boy,no more comments on this anymore. But I will ask you this AV8R, how can negative timing be any good at all to an internal combustion engine? Please explain that to me? It defies the law of physics on itself,meaning less power,etc. If Lexus truely did map their ecms to run best on premium,lets not forget to mention the high compression(I know you can use regular)you can bet,it will run its best on higher octane fuel.Or,it will retard timing,and not perform like it was designed to.

Last edited by lexus114; 09-16-08 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-16-08, 10:20 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I should let you all know that I in my RX300 effective a Sunday I began a trial run on 87 octane Chevron. Now, I do have a few things like a modified exhaust and especially the crankcase vent filters (that do a have a direct effect on octane) in order to measure mpg and I'll be able to know about other performance based on experience. Thus far after an ECU reset via the battery, the vehicle doesn't quite pack the punch that it does on acceleration, but no pinging or other issue otherwise. Actual time MPG appears to be the same, but I am waiting to do a bit of expressway/highway mileage tonight to verify. This is the first time in a long time (except for some brief tests in Mexico) that I have done this.

Quick Reply: 2008 RX-350 Fuel Octane Rating