RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: How many of you are considering trading in your RX for a higher mileage vehicle?
Yes
16.98%
No
83.02%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Gas Prices and the RX

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-08, 07:21 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Apart from making fuel efficient vehicles, we should look into making roads that lead to fuel efficiency. In Europe they have round-abouts instead of "stop" signs what you find every where in Toronto (I am assuming it's the same in most N.America) . At "stop" sign car comes to stop and starts from gear 1, 2, etc; where as approaching round-abouts if not busy the car slows down maybe to gear 2 or 3 and carries on, the follow is continuous and saves gas by not using gear 1 to start and then stop. .. any comments ?
Old 06-06-08, 01:03 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rx300mm
Apart from making fuel efficient vehicles, we should look into making roads that lead to fuel efficiency. In Europe they have round-abouts instead of "stop" signs what you find every where in Toronto (I am assuming it's the same in most N.America) . At "stop" sign car comes to stop and starts from gear 1, 2, etc; where as approaching round-abouts if not busy the car slows down maybe to gear 2 or 3 and carries on, the follow is continuous and saves gas by not using gear 1 to start and then stop. .. any comments ?
Yeah I wish,Pennsylvania wont even take care of the roads we have.
Old 06-06-08, 01:56 PM
Boognish
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rx300mm
You can't even trust a typical American driver to check their blind spot before changing lanes...I think roundabouts would lead to a huge number of fender benders here resulting in traffic jams that have a net negative effect on fuel consumption.
Old 06-06-08, 09:04 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boognish
You can't even trust a typical American driver to check their blind spot before changing lanes...I think roundabouts would lead to a huge number of fender benders here resulting in traffic jams that have a net negative effect on fuel consumption.
Actually, you guys drive better than you think. The last time I was in the US I drive NYC - Boston - Buffalo - Cleveland - Chicago - KC - St Louis - Indianapolis - Pittsburgh - Washington DC - NYC. I had ZERO issues with US drivers in 3000 miles. You guys behave much better than Aussie's that's for sure. Drivers in Sydney sure don't know how to use a Roundabout. Keep Left (Right in the US)? That's for someone else to worry about.

Originally Posted by lexus114
Yeah I wish,Pennsylvania wont even take care of the roads we have.
Roads in Pennsylvania again are better than those in NSW at any rate. We pay exorbitant fuel taxes that are spent on anything but roads. Everything is a tollway here (if you wan't to get there in a hurry anyway).
Old 06-07-08, 12:30 PM
Eddo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmaynard
I'm getting 26-28 MPG highway out of my RX350. There's not another vehicle that will handle the wide range of missions I have that gets better gas mileage, especially since 95% of my driving is at highway speeds.
I just filled up my 2008 RX350 with 87 octane, drove home with the A/C running, made one stop on the way, and when I pulled into the garage my MPG reading was 31.4. Had it up to over 34 mpg on the way but I also live in hilly terrain and that pulled the mpg down a little.

If you read your owner's manual, you will see that 87 octane is perfectly acceptable for this engine.

Brandywine Mica 2008 RX350
Old 06-07-08, 12:32 PM
Eddo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Who_Me
The mileage isn't that big of a killer...it is the requirement to use Premium gas, at $0.20 per gallon more than regular. That is about $7 per tank. I know folks that own compact cars that are supposed to get great mileage. However, they tell me that can only achieve those results by driving solo, with no luggage or added weight. If you put 4 people in a Honda Fit, your mileage drops like a rock because the engine is having to turn much higher RPMs to achieve the same speed. My poor Son commutes every day from West Virginia to Washington, DC in a Ford Expedition (V-8). He says he watches the kids' college fund blowing out the tail pipe as he goes down the road.
There is no "requirement" to use 91 or higher octane. If you check your owners manual you will find that although 91 octane is recommended for best performance, 87 octane is perfectly acceptable. I'm getting upwards of 30 mpg using 87 octane and see no difference in performance.

2008 RX350 Brandywine Mica
Old 06-07-08, 04:06 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Eddo if you are getting 30 mpg all the time you must be going down hill all the time. My best to date has been 26.4 comming home from Reno and it is mostly down hill at 70MPH.
Jeff
Old 06-08-08, 03:08 AM
Eddo
Driver School Candidate

Smile RX350 mpg

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
For a luxury SUV w/ 270 HP, I find the mileage impressive... plus, I drive like a maniac sometimes.
Originally Posted by jgr7
Eddo if you are getting 30 mpg all the time you must be going down hill all the time. My best to date has been 26.4 comming home from Reno and it is mostly down hill at 70MPH.
Jeff
I live in the foothills of the Smokey Mtns. at 800 ft above mean sea level. The terrain is very hilly. I drove at the speed limit (55 mph mostly)
Old 06-08-08, 07:06 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

If I could that kind of mileage I'd buy another one of these for myself.
Old 06-08-08, 07:37 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Eddo
I just filled up my 2008 RX350 with 87 octane, drove home with the A/C running, made one stop on the way, and when I pulled into the garage my MPG reading was 31.4. Had it up to over 34 mpg on the way but I also live in hilly terrain and that pulled the mpg down a little.

If you read your owner's manual, you will see that 87 octane is perfectly acceptable for this engine.

Brandywine Mica 2008 RX350
Did you reset the millage (remaining) reading and the mpg reading *after* you fill up? If you dont, it is quite common it registers such a high mpg (30+) like your case because it uses some sort of formula to calculate the mpg. I think this may be it:

Let D --> Distance traveled
X --> how much gas in the tank from the last reset
Y --> how much gas remained in the tank now.

MPG = D/ (X-Y).
Old 06-09-08, 12:28 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i dont get how anyone is getting over 20mpg in this car. the most i have ever gotten was 19.9 and that was on a flat freeway with the speedo around 70 mph or so.
Old 06-09-08, 01:05 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Best mileage I have experienced to date equates to 25.6 MPG and the worst is 10 MPG
Old 06-09-08, 12:13 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

4,600 mile trip through Western States. Lots of mountain driving as well as desert. Trip Average was almost 24 MPG (23.6), and that was with a lot of crusing at speed, at times topping 90 MPH. We've seen as high as 27 MPG and a low of 13 since we bought the RX. Now, with over 30k miles on the clock, we're still seeing excellent mileage on the highway.
Old 06-09-08, 07:24 PM
argoldst
Driver School Candidate

I am seriously considering trading mine in. I think many people are looking at this the wrong way.

Even if gas went to $5, I would not care about the cost of filling up my rx350. BUT I like to trade my car in every 2 years. If gas continues to go up, more and more people will sell their suv. There will be a huge oversupply of used suv's on the market (more then even now).

Then, we would all get killed when we trade in our car. If gas went to $5 (which is very possible in a year), you can expect to probally recieve 5-10k less for your rx350 for a tradein.

THAT is the real reason why I, and many others, should consider selling their rx350 now. It is not the actual cost of gas to me, but the amount I would lose on my trade in if gas prices continue to go up.
Old 06-09-08, 07:46 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a different philosphy. I tend to keep a car for 10 plus years. I get my money worth out of it that way. When it's time to buy a new one I pay cash with the money I saved in that 10 year period. This includes any repairs I have to make. When you drive off the lot in a brand new vehicle it depreciates several thousand dollars.In two years it is worth about half of what you paid for it and it just keeps getting worse as the years go by. After 8 years the depreciation levels off. When it comes time to replace it with a new one, don't trade it in. The dealer will give you nothing for it. Sell it your self. A 10 year old vehicle will sell pretty fast as it is in the price range a lot of folks are looking for. You should be able to get enough to pay the sales tax on your new vehicle. You buy a new car every 2 or 3 years you are thowing good money down a rat hole.Been there. Done that.

Quick Reply: Gas Prices and the RX