RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 Rear Crash Test Rating - Poor. Anyone had a crash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 07:15 PM
CGVB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 Rear Crash Test Rating - Poor. Anyone had a crash?

Hi,
I am about to purchase an RX-350 and quickly checked the IIHS crash test ratings. It received a poor rating; at the bottom of a large group of SUVs!

Anyone experienced a rear end hit and found out why it earned a poor? I don't think this will change my decision to purchase; it just surprised me.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Chris
Old 04-27-08, 09:04 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

I have seen photos of a few crashed Rxs. The cabin seems to be well designed.

One of the significant issue has been the cost of repairs needed.

Typically the serious injuries happen from a side collision. With the side bag reinforcement and higher seated position, RX may not be the top rated, but is safe.

Also the size and weight of RX poses less danger to others and can be slowed down quicker.

Salim
Old 04-27-08, 09:25 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

remember that the car was designed in the early 2000s. i know thats no excuse, but rear crash tests have become more strict. you need to know that this "poor" rating is a result of the headrests that arent designed as well as they should be.

no big deal, front crash tests are much more common
Old 04-28-08, 09:49 AM
Boognish
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
no big deal, front crash tests are much more common
Really? It seems to me you have almost zero control over getting rear ended, and a LOT of control over running into something/someone.
Old 04-28-08, 10:29 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually when you look the IIHS site, you can see that all toyotas and lexus's rave poor ratings on rear crash tests...
And most cars really IMHO...

Last edited by lex; 04-28-08 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-28-08, 11:19 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by Boognish
Really? It seems to me you have almost zero control over getting rear ended, and a LOT of control over running into something/someone.
Crashes are crashes but the ramifications are very different.

I classify them as injury to occupants [driver, front passenger, rear passengers, and some consideration to occupants of the other vehicle.

The next tier is damage to the vehicles ... cost of repair.

The side impacts are the worst when it comes to intrusion -vs - space.

The frontal are almost there, due to change in velocity of the internal organs, plus the intrusion, the steering wheel etc.

From the rear, typically the most danger is due to head/whiplash. The intrusion is usually not a major factor unless you are in a minivan all the way in the back. The seat cradles the body a whole lot.

The offset impacts, are now getting the attention as the full frontals spread the impact.

It may make more sense to divide the safety into groups with my score card.:
1. Life threatening ... [I think RX would fare well in this area]
2. Injury requiring medical attention ... [Mediocre ... acceptable]
3. Damage to vehicle .. [repair cost .. this is where Lexus would lag]

To be fair, 1 and 3 are typically on the opposite end of the spectrum. But the special paint and costly parts drive up the Lexus repair more than other vehicles. A minor fender bender will be $1200 or so.

Salim
Old 04-28-08, 05:58 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CGVB
Hi,
I am about to purchase an RX-350 and quickly checked the IIHS crash test ratings. It received a poor rating; at the bottom of a large group of SUVs!

Anyone experienced a rear end hit and found out why it earned a poor? I don't think this will change my decision to purchase; it just surprised me.

Chris
My 2004 RX330 FWD did quite well in a rear-end collision. Was in stop-and-go traffic and a Mazda MX6 just plowed into the back of me. How you miss a two ton white SUV is beyond me. Besides, all the other cars in front of me...

Anyway, the Mazda was totaled and was towed away. I only needed to have the rear bumper cap along with the step pad replaced. The black step pad could not be transfered from the old bumper to the new one.

If the RX350 is built similar to mine, I would see no problems. I do know there is some concerns about head and neck injuries for which Lexus has done very poor of late.
Old 03-15-23, 02:03 PM
Woody231
2nd gear

Default Rear end collision in Florida Keys

Originally Posted by CGVB
Hi,

Chris
Hello and yes While stopped in the Florida Keys on highway 1 we were rear ended while stopped . Please note we also had a trailer hitch installed by Lexus which was tubular steel . We were hit at approx 50 mph while stopped by a Ford Taurus . We were in a Lexus RX 400 h 2009 model year . The trailer hitch was mangled as well as damage to the drivers side rear bumper . I noticed the rear set had broken loose and slid forward . I also got whiplash and had to undergo several months of rehab that cost in excess of 10K . If that was not bad enough we had just gotten the RX back from the body shop and had put the RX into the garage . In 2010 were were hit with a flash flood and the RX 400 h had water over the dash . The one good thing I can say is the battery did not explode . But we did use the insurance money to purchase a 2010 RX 350 . We still have it and it has not been in any accidents thankfully and we have 140,000 miles on it with no issues . We also have a 2019!RX350 Sport we are pleased with . To also help you we were in a serious accident in a 1999 Lexus RX just one week after we purchased it . It saved our lives after a car in Florida again hit us and sent us into a concrete wall at an overpass . 3 corners were damaged yet we walked away . I hope this helps you in your decision . So far the only thing I dislike on the 2023 is the 4?cylinder engine . But , I too am watching for the verdict of the rear seat test .