RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Trans plug leaking after fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-08, 04:02 PM
arnoldslex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans plug leaking after fluid change?

I just changed the trans fluid in my RX330. I put the plug back in with no problem, no cross threading and I now see it is leaking. Do they have a gasket on them? It was kind of dark under there and I do not know if it fell out or something before I screwed it back in? Do they have a 1 time copper crush washer?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-08, 04:40 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Yes there is crush washer. In a pinch you can use nylon/fabric/copper/aluminum. I always buy mine from the dealer.

Also set the right torque.

Salim
Old 04-14-08, 06:13 AM
arnoldslex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crush Washer.

It has a crush washer. That is what I figured. I wondered since I change my own oil and very experienced. I guess I will have to dump the new oil in a clean container and re-use it. So I get 27 views and no one has experience except one guy? Tells you that not many either do there own work or don't change their fluid. I lost a trans in my RX300 at 98000 after buying one that apparantly was not taken care of.
Old 04-14-08, 07:28 AM
salimshah

Although some have re-used the old crush washers, I would advice against it. [if you plan to reuse, then buy the nylon type as they bounce back a bit]. Service manual says to replace it.

At the dealer the washer's run 90c or so. When you go through so much work and saving a large % of total cost .. throw in the washer and you will not have the drips.

There are 3 outcomes, washer stays with the bolt, falls in the drain pan or stays stuck on the engine side. Most of the time, the washer stays stuck to the engine for me and I have to pop it off with a blunt object.

Salim
Old 04-14-08, 05:21 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Are you sure it is not the transfer case oil leak TSB?
Old 04-14-08, 05:36 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

I have the same problem with my ES330 that the dealer changed the fluid. It is a very small leak that is very intermittent. I took it back to the dealer and they said they could not find a leak. Several weeks later I noticed another drop on a piece of white cardboard I have kept under the car since this incident. I can take it back to the dealer or just try to tighten the plug my self. The plug takes a hex bolt. Does anybody have an idea of what size and what torque is needed for this plug ? I know I could take it back to the dealer but it sure would be a lot easier to just try to tighten it myself and then if it continued to leak I can take it back and ask that the job be done again with a new crush washer.
Old 04-14-08, 08:48 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Not only the crush washer, but you have to tighten it HARD. Even a bit off and you can get a small leak off the pan plug.
Old 04-14-08, 11:06 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
I have the same problem with my ES330 that the dealer changed the fluid. It is a very small leak that is very intermittent. I took it back to the dealer and they said they could not find a leak. Several weeks later I noticed another drop on a piece of white cardboard I have kept under the car since this incident. I can take it back to the dealer or just try to tighten the plug my self. The plug takes a hex bolt. Does anybody have an idea of what size and what torque is needed for this plug ? I know I could take it back to the dealer but it sure would be a lot easier to just try to tighten it myself and then if it continued to leak I can take it back and ask that the job be done again with a new crush washer.
You can cut a hex key 1.5" and then use a socket. Or visit Harbor Freight for a whole set [light duty].

It is either 10 or 12mm for RX 36lb-ft for the drain plug.

A drop in 2 weeks will be not noticeable in the workshop. Once on the rack to check for leak, I would have expected them to re-torque it.

Replacing the crush washer is easy, but you will loose some fluid....[never reuse the drained fluid].

Salim
Old 04-15-08, 03:21 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

You do not have to drain all the fluid. You just have to work fast. Losen the plug, and pull it out while plugging it with something immediately, like a little rubber plug or a thumb. Then get the washer and plug ready, and stick it in fast. You might only lose a cup or two.

Been there, done that!
Old 04-15-08, 05:27 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
You can cut a hex key 1.5" and then use a socket. Or visit Harbor Freight for a whole set [light duty].

It is either 10 or 12mm for RX 36lb-ft for the drain plug.

A drop in 2 weeks will be not noticeable in the workshop. Once on the rack to check for leak, I would have expected them to re-torque it.

Replacing the crush washer is easy, but you will loose some fluid....[never reuse the drained fluid].

Salim
Bought a 3/8 drive 10mm hex bit socket at Sears for around $5 and tightened drain plug but I don't know if I tightened it or not as the torque wrench clicked when I applied the pressure and it was set at 35 ft lbs. Anyway, do yall think I'm too **** if I get a drop every now and then then after driving. It does not leak all the time but just a drop every couple of weeks. I don't drive the ES330 more than 50 miles a week. I know this is the RX forum but I like this forum better than the ES forum and I do have a RX350 also. It is definately a faulty crush washer but does loosing a drop every couple of weeks warrant replacing it until the next tranny fluid service?
Old 04-15-08, 07:18 PM
salimshah

Mechanically, as long as you have enough fluid (above minimum) you are fine. At this rate you can last a whole lot of time and if you need to, you can top it of in between.

On the other hand, how do you feel about your Lexus marking its territory.

I would say keep an eye on how much fluid you leek. It just might crud over and seal itself.

Your call.

Thank you for the compliment about RX forum. It reflects on the members as well as the mods.

Salim
Old 04-15-08, 07:26 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah

On the other hand, how do you feel about your Lexus marking its territory.

Salim

The BMW has marked its territory on the driveway at home and the parking spot at work with ATF fluid from the power steering pump, coolant from water pump, brake fluid from master cylinder, etc. Everyone at work just smiles when they see me with the hood open an empty bottle of something on hand.
Old 04-16-08, 09:49 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I have that pet, too. My 95 Camry!