RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX vs Murano

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 12:54 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RX vs Murano

I bought a '08 RX350 AWD early this year for my wife. I want to replace my older Mercedes sedan for an new SUV later this year. Mercedes is out of the question because of its Yugo quality. I love the RXs but I think having 2 RX in the same garage would feel odd. Also, RX is so much of a female-mover that I've heard someone joking that it should come with a 1 year free suply of Tampax.

Anyways, I did some research on BMW X3. Comparing to RX its less value for more money. Then I looked into a new '09 Nissan Murano. Looks like a very camparable vehicle to an RX. I was looking into LE model. Loaded without Navigation it lists for about $38K.

What you folks think? Please, don't tell me that Lexus is THE BEST CAR IN THE WORLD, PERIOD. I am tired of this crap going on on Mercedes forum. I want some objective input.

Thanks.
Old 04-03-08, 04:24 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol that is an interesting way of asking for help. Mercedes=Yugo but don't give me any goofy generalities about Lexus=best seemed funny to me but i get your point.

We have an RX and considered the Nissan. I actually preferred it but it came down to another point you made. My wife really liked the RX better. I've always had good luck with Nissan products in general and I liked the styling better but that is clearly a personal choice. The Nissan just wasn't as tired and dated IMO. keyless entry, push button start and so on and considering that, seemed like a better value given the price points.

I wouldn't want 2 of the same car no matter what it is so I get that. All that offered, we've been very happy with our RX. good luck.
Old 04-03-08, 07:06 AM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arnieosp
I bought a '08 RX350 AWD early this year for my wife. I want to replace my older Mercedes sedan for an new SUV later this year. Mercedes is out of the question because of its Yugo quality. I love the RXs but I think having 2 RX in the same garage would feel odd. Also, RX is so much of a female-mover that I've heard someone joking that it should come with a 1 year free suply of Tampax.

Anyways, I did some research on BMW X3. Comparing to RX its less value for more money. Then I looked into a new '09 Nissan Murano. Looks like a very camparable vehicle to an RX. I was looking into LE model. Loaded without Navigation it lists for about $38K.

What you folks think? Please, don't tell me that Lexus is THE BEST CAR IN THE WORLD, PERIOD. I am tired of this crap going on on Mercedes forum. I want some objective input.

Thanks.

For the same price Range Murano has more features than RX since it was updated this year as "All New"

Also you are comparing a Lexus with a Nissan model, Infiniti is coming up with a updated version of FX but obviously it will be expensive than RX.

2009 Murano Vs. 2009RX Comparision

Both models have similar features except that Murano has some nice features :

Smooth CVT transmission unlike the the 5 Speed hesitant transmission on the RX

Push Button Start

hands-free multi-function remote with keyless ignition

A better hand rest for Driver & Front passenger seat

Heated Rear seats

Digital Bose audio system with AM/FM/in-dash 6-CD changer and 2 subwoofers (single CD on Navigation Package-equipped SL and LE)
9.3 GB Music Box hard drive and compact flash slot for MP3/WMA files
Integrated Interface System for iPod®
Auxiliary audio input jack
Auxiliary audio/video input jacks
XM Satellite Radio
Rearview monitor with intended path for parking or reversing out

18" x 7.5" 6-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels
20" x 7.5" (People call them Chariot Wheels)

Roof mounted Curtain airbags

High Intensity Discharge (HID) bi-functional xenon projector headlights (low/high beam) with manual levelizer
LED taillights
Fuel Economy 18/23
Old 04-03-08, 07:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

$38K for a Nissan, forget it. I would spend a few more bucks and get the new EX.
Old 04-03-08, 07:46 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by arnieosp

Thanks.
I owned the previous gen murano (2003). I am still happy with it when I sold it. The murano has a very enthusiatic community (forum) as well: nissanmurano.org. The new murano is a good buy, IMHO, as long as you dont over equiped it with gadgets. Fully loaded, it can touch Lexus price territory.

When I was looking to upgrade the murano, I cross shopped X3,
RX350/400h and infiniti FX35. I did not look at then-new Acura MDX because it is too big. My wife and I are DINKS and we have no need for 3rd row seat.

Whatever you're going to do, DO NOT buy the 2007+ BWM X3. There are high numbers of transmission complains. Comparing to the infamous RX transmission hunting which is minor, the X3's are intolerable and borderline dangerous!! Detail can be found here:
2007-2008 X3 Automatic Transmission Problem Master Thread from BMW Forum!

It's a pitty, I really like how the X3 drives/handles.

Last edited by SugarRush; 04-03-08 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-03-08, 08:48 AM
ZIN
Driver

Originally Posted by SugarRush
I owned the previous gen murano (2003). I am still happy with it when I sold it. The murano has a very enthusiatic community (forum) as well: nissanmurano.org. The new murano is a good buy, IMHO, as long as you dont over equiped it with gadgets. Fully loaded, it can touch Lexus price territory.

When I was looking to upgrade the murano, I cross shopped X3,
RX350/400h and infiniti FX35. I did not look at then-new Acura MDX because it is too big. My wife and I are DINKS and we have no need for 3rd row seat.

Whatever you're going to do, DO NOT buy the 2007+ BWM X3. There are high numbers of transmission complains. Comparing to the infamous RX transmission hunting which is minor, the X3's are intolerable and borderline dangerous!! Detail can be found here:
2007-2008 X3 Automatic Transmission Problem Master Thread from BMW Forum!

It's a pitty, I really like how the X3 drives/handles.
BMW in my opinion always have repairs. Lexus is a work horse look at your consumer reports over the last 10 years . I looked up every mid size suv and cross over and in my opinion apples to apples Lexus wins. Thats money to buy ,repairs,safety,resale,looks,"ok a bit out dated but still can compete"last the Lexus dealership which has always bent over backwards for us. I still feel
Lexus/toyota/honda are top 3 manufacturers to own.
Old 04-03-08, 08:56 AM
Bear60
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife has a 2005 RX and I just purchased a 2008 RX 400h. I thought the same thing about not having two of the same but I liked the RX so well and the hybrid is somewhat different, I went ahead. I still think they are great vehicles.
Old 04-03-08, 10:27 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

It's funny how stereotypes affect people so much.
Old 04-03-08, 10:35 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd skip the Murano and go for the Infiniti EX.
Old 04-03-08, 11:05 AM
timho
Driver School Candidate

Yes, LEXUS IS THE BEST CAR IN THE WORLD, PERIOD.

When we were car shopping few months back, I was considering Acura RDX/MDX, Infiniti EX, all-new Nissan Murano, BMW X3 and of course, RX350. Eventually we purchased the RX because I really can't find anything that holds resale value so well and (almost) trouble-free. If you like sportiness, get the RDX (good cost/performance ratio) or slightly bigger MDX (more expensive), although they're not great on gas. EX is just too small on the inside especially the trunk area, plus the pricing isn't really great, but it's a solid performer. And typically, Infiniti/Nissan products have more quality issues comparing to other Japanese counterparts. If you can get over with Murano's front-end style and don't mind CVT's reliability, it is a good buy for its price range. As for the X3, I really don't want to know how much $ I have to shell out after the initial 4 years free maintenance, plus the resale isn't great as well. RX350 also has its own share of issues, but most of them are annoyance, rather problems as Lexus products generally don't 'break'.

As others would say the same thing, it all comes down to what you want the most. Good luck on your car hunting!

Tim
Old 04-03-08, 11:45 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

their is only one problem,the murano was beat with an ugly stick,and it`s exhaust system makes it sound like a retarded Lion

Last edited by lexus114; 04-03-08 at 11:47 AM. Reason: added,correction
Old 04-03-08, 01:47 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

My wife liked the look of the Murano but didn't like the feel when she sat in it, she is only 5' and had trouble seenig over the very long hood. We also looked at the RDX, MDX, XC90, Infiniti EX, X3. We went with the RX350.
Old 04-03-08, 02:29 PM
smalcom
Rookie

Toyota has a new one coming (due out later this year) called the Venza. It looks like the RX, and may possibly be a hint as to what the next generation RX may look like. Although it's not a Lexus, it is a Toyota, so no issues about reliability. Fully loaded, it probably will be close to the RX in price.
Old 04-03-08, 03:07 PM
LexFather

My 2 cents.
Murano has made great strides with the interior, it always had good power and well it looks different. However, it currently looks UGLIER and NIssan service makes me cringe. I just cannot see myself paying over 30k for ANY Nissan outside the GT-R.
The RX is at the end of its life cycle but is still the standard in this class. The RX hybrid would be my choice, in AWD form. Negatives are they are very popular, in FWD form they are not as sporty as the magazines would want and it has a 5 speed auto when everyone else has more gears for the most part.
The Infiniti FX/EX also got beat with the usual ugly stick. The FX is all new and will have tons of tech with a new 5.0 V-8 with 390 hp if you need more power. The EX is not a SUV, it really is a hatchback. YOU CANNOT TOW WITH THE EX PER INFINITI. THe rear is useless. Both the FX and EX have very good interiors, good dealers and should be very reliable.
Old 04-03-08, 03:11 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a nice little thread nearby that deals with the Murano; I'd suggest the OP read it for a glimpse into what nissan service is like at most dealerships

Quick Reply: RX vs Murano