RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Interior Trims everyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 10:21 PM
erick3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Trims everyone?

Just a quick question as to what interior trim everyone had; we bought the light gray leather w/ black bird's eye accent...i'm not too sure I like the black wood trimming though...

Anyone else out there w/ the black trimming? Seems like everyone gets the walnut brown...

Old 04-02-08, 05:24 AM
ZIN
Driver

It's all a personal choice thats why there are 3 wood choices to chose from. Myself I do not care for the black but the other two either would be fine. Then some people feel the black looks classy and rich. Enjoy your ride..
Old 04-02-08, 08:02 AM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

I got the Millineum Silver with the light grey interior and dark walnut. I liked the black bird's eye but I when bought mine, my dealer had to find my RX with the options I wanted from another dealer and so I could not get everything I was wanting this late in the model year. I am happy with the dark walnut. My wife has the light walnut/maple in her ES330 with the Gold/beige interior and it is beautiful also.
Old 04-02-08, 08:24 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

In 2005 I bought the RX330 Thundercloud which were done that year as a limited production model or special edition, whichever term you prefer. They came with the black birdseye maple and gray leather interior only, and the exterior colors were Thundercloud Mist (metallic Pewter) or Flint Mica. It was not an option on any of the other RX's and was only done on the Thundercloud. At first I wasn't real sure about it but after looking at it a couple times I liked it, partially because it wasn't available on other ones and it accented the exterior color. My wife liked it but was afraid it would show dust and fingerprints. We've had many people compliment us on the black birdseye maple. Partially because they like the color and also because they have never seen it on any other vehicle out there. Everyone uses either dark or light walnut (real or fake) for their "wood" trim. The black hasn't been bad at all for dust or fingerprints, no more than other colors. I use 303 Aerospace on my interior spaces which may help a bit. The only comments I've had is that they think my steering wheel is plastic. If the light isn't just right it appears to be just black plastic, get the light on it right and you'll see the birdseye and woodgrain.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Thundercloud Mist, Gray/Black Birdseye Maple Interior, NAV, ML, HID with AFS, Rain Sensing Wipers, Headlight Washers, Moonroof, Tow Package with OEM Hitch, 18 inch Thundercloud rims with B'Stone Dueler Alenza's.
1998 GS300 (Previous and first Lexus)
Old 04-02-08, 12:08 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much I can add to what DakotaRX already stated. The Black Birdseye Maple is awesome when the sun hits it and you can see the grain and the swirls. We too have received many a compliment on the trim in our Thundercloud. We clearly love the way the interior looks and would not hesitate to do it all over again.
Old 04-02-08, 12:21 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

I wish I had the Birdseye. Unfortunately, my RX is the 04 model, so no go on that. Unless I were able to find an interior swap donor...
Old 04-02-08, 01:01 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i have an 04 as well. its black with the walnut i guess it is.
Old 04-02-08, 01:06 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine was the light grey with walnut (Darker color wood). My first choice would have been the all black interior, and although not available at that time, if the black wood trim were available I think I might have picked that as well. I would have to see it in person though, but if it is like the BMW piano black that would be cool.
Old 04-02-08, 02:03 PM
banjo
Driver

Well sir, I have looked at all my paper work from the dealership and all over my 08 RX 350 and still can not tell you what color my wood is...I have a black RX with back seats but where is the wood color shown? Stupid I guess..
Old 04-02-08, 02:10 PM
Boognish
Driver

We have light grey with the blackish wood, which is what we wanted although we couldn't be picky purchasing an '08 model at the price we got. I hope I don't offend anyone, but to me the red wood looks like silly in *almost* any modern vehicle. Kind of like the 4,000 sf homes around here with absolutely no yard.
Old 04-02-08, 04:13 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

but to me the red wood looks like silly in *almost* any modern vehicle.
yes the walnut is the redder of the woods. i think it compliments black interior trim very nicely, but sometimes, it can look "fake".

Well sir, I have looked at all my paper work from the dealership and all over my 08 RX 350 and still can not tell you what color my wood is...I have a black RX with back seats but where is the wood color shown? Stupid I guess..
there are three different types of wood.

theres the grayish/black call black birds eye maple
theres the reddish wood called brown walnut
theres the yellowish/light colored wood called birds eye maple

since you have black leather, you have the brown walnut. its the only choice
Old 04-02-08, 04:48 PM
banjo
Driver

Thank you...We love the wood color in our RX 350....Brown Walnut...It looks very good in the black car with the black leather.....
Old 04-02-08, 05:11 PM
banjo
Driver

Originally Posted by banjo
Thank you...We love the wood color in our RX 350....Brown Walnut...It looks very good in the black car with the black leather.....
I will say the Brown Walnut does not look redish at all in my car...It is a very rich looking color that is beautiful with the Black...
Old 04-02-08, 11:32 PM
erick3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DakotaRX
In 2005 I bought the RX330 Thundercloud which were done that year as a limited production model or special edition, whichever term you prefer. They came with the black birdseye maple and gray leather interior only, and the exterior colors were Thundercloud Mist (metallic Pewter) or Flint Mica. It was not an option on any of the other RX's and was only done on the Thundercloud. At first I wasn't real sure about it but after looking at it a couple times I liked it, partially because it wasn't available on other ones and it accented the exterior color. My wife liked it but was afraid it would show dust and fingerprints. We've had many people compliment us on the black birdseye maple. Partially because they like the color and also because they have never seen it on any other vehicle out there. Everyone uses either dark or light walnut (real or fake) for their "wood" trim. The black hasn't been bad at all for dust or fingerprints, no more than other colors. I use 303 Aerospace on my interior spaces which may help a bit. The only comments I've had is that they think my steering wheel is plastic. If the light isn't just right it appears to be just black plastic, get the light on it right and you'll see the birdseye and woodgrain.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Thundercloud Mist, Gray/Black Birdseye Maple Interior, NAV, ML, HID with AFS, Rain Sensing Wipers, Headlight Washers, Moonroof, Tow Package with OEM Hitch, 18 inch Thundercloud rims with B'Stone Dueler Alenza's.
1998 GS300 (Previous and first Lexus)

ahh that's very good to know! we actually bought our 350 last sunday, and its been in the garage since! i've yet to see it in the sun though; we got to the dealership at sundown and left at 9! since i'm off at the uw, i've been at my apartment, while the cars been at the house...I guess I just haven't gotten use to it. The car isn't exactly mine, and thus the wood trimming wasn't my choice either; I can see myself warming up to it though. Thanks ALL for your input!

please feel free to show off your interiors if you wish!