RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Tow hitch

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-08, 05:28 PM
Claude7629
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tow hitch

I would like to buy a tow hitch for my 2008 RX350. Does anyone have any favorite web sites they use for buying Lexus OEM parts. I'm looking for a better price than my local dealer. He wants 350.00 for part PT228-48045.
Old 01-21-08, 06:12 PM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is that 350 installed or just the part? The cheapest OEM part I found was like 270-ish+ install, it is about right.
Old 01-21-08, 06:21 PM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Claude7629
I would like to buy a tow hitch for my 2008 RX350. Does anyone have any favorite web sites they use for buying Lexus OEM parts. I'm looking for a better price than my local dealer. He wants 350.00 for part PT228-48045.
The links in this post should help you

Lexus OEM Parts Websites
Old 01-22-08, 06:47 PM
Claude7629
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kostyan
is that 350 installed or just the part? The cheapest OEM part I found was like 270-ish+ install, it is about right.
He wanted another 200 to install. So I am looking at 550 plus tax for dealer install.
Old 01-22-08, 06:49 PM
Claude7629
Rookie

Originally Posted by sama
The links in this post should help you

Lexus OEM Parts Websites
Thanks for the post. I'm on my way to checking them out now.
Old 01-23-08, 05:16 AM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check on eBay. I found one for $135 (excl s&h) and installed it myself in about 30 minutes.
Old 01-23-08, 07:43 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MadDawg350
Check on eBay. I found one for $135 (excl s&h) and installed it myself in about 30 minutes.
mad dawg, you probably got an aftermarket hitch, which are dime a dozen on EBAY. I believe that OEM hitch looks much better....but not sure..wish I had two pictures side by side to compare. Now what about the electrical part- did you do that part as well?

I will probably installing hitch on our RX in the spring, and would like to know comparable prices for parts and labor...
Old 01-23-08, 08:21 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

When I bought my 2005 RX330 Thundercloud it came with the "Tow Package" but that actually didn't include the hitch, receiver and wire harness. When I went back there a few months later for the 5k service I talked to them about adding the hitch and harness. They quoted $550 to $600 parts and labor installed. The receiver with hitch was about $325. and labor was listed as 2 hours. It's about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to install the receiver but takes 1 to 1 1/2 hours to install the wire harness. The interior panels in the cargo area over the driver's side tail light have to be removed, harness wired in (plus I believe a relay), harness run down thru the floor and connected to the brackets on the hitch. After a little talk back and forth the dealer came down to $425. and so I had it done. Installing the receiver is fairly easy and like they said about 1/2 hour, but installing the wire harness is what takes all the time. If you can get a good deal from the dealer then I would go that route. Otherwise you could get the hitch from a Lexus sponsor with a discount and install that yourself and then have a electronics shop or garage you know install the harness. As for the Lexus hitch verses other brand name hitches I personnally like the looks of the Lexus OEM hitch and it has the wire harness bracket attached. Some of the brand name hitches do not include the harness bracket.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Thundercloud Mist, Gray/Black Interiour with Black Birdseye Maple trim, NAV, ML, HID with AFS, Rain Sensing Wipers, Headlight Washers, Tow Package with OEM Hitch, 18 in Thundercloud rims with Bridgestone Alenza's.
Old 01-23-08, 09:52 AM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you probably got an aftermarket hitch, which are dime a dozen on EBAY. I believe that OEM hitch looks much better....but not sure..wish I had two pictures side by side to compare. Now what about the electrical part- did you do that part as well?
Anything purchased after the sale for a vehicle is an "aftermarket" product whether is an "OEM" product or made by another manufacturer. I too was looking at an "OEM" hitch but did not want to pay the price just for a plastic "Lexus" cover over the receiver. I would venture to guess that the same manufacturer that made my hitch (Hidden Hitch) is the same manufacturer that makes the hitches for Lexus. As far as the wiring, I did not do this for I will not be attaching to the hitch anything more than rack to haul around my mountain bikes so there is no need to have a wiring harness.
Old 01-23-08, 01:45 PM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MadDawg350
Anything purchased after the sale for a vehicle is an "aftermarket" product whether is an "OEM" product or made by another manufacturer. I too was looking at an "OEM" hitch but did not want to pay the price just for a plastic "Lexus" cover over the receiver. I would venture to guess that the same manufacturer that made my hitch (Hidden Hitch) is the same manufacturer that makes the hitches for Lexus. As far as the wiring, I did not do this for I will not be attaching to the hitch anything more than rack to haul around my mountain bikes so there is no need to have a wiring harness.
allow me to disagree- there is a difference between OEM and aftermarket. OEM part is the one sold through Lexus dealers. Yes, it costs a $150-200 more, and for some people there is no value in that. I am looking to tow a jetski trailer with our RX and thus need to have all the wiring properly configured. As Dakota RX already mentioned, the OEM hitch comes with wiring bracket, and is better looking.

DakotaRX- would you please post a close up pic of the OEM hitch and wiring bracket as installed on your RX? This would help others to see what I've been talking about, that non-OEM are ugly hitches...
Old 01-23-08, 02:09 PM
Claude7629
Rookie

Found some pictures at the following link.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=PT228-48045
Old 01-23-08, 02:13 PM
Claude7629
Rookie

mad dawg, you probably got an aftermarket hitch, which are dime a dozen on EBAY. I believe that OEM hitch looks much better....but not sure..wish I had two pictures side by side to compare. Now what about the electrical part- did you do that part as well?

I will probably installing hitch on our RX in the spring, and would like to know comparable prices for parts and labor...
I have found what I think may be a good price on a Lexus tow hitch. Check out the following link.

http://lexus.dealerfit.com/store/lex...od397_3259.php

Includes trailer ball mount and Wiring Harness.

Last edited by Claude7629; 01-23-08 at 02:14 PM. Reason: More info added.
Old 01-23-08, 02:19 PM
Claude7629
Rookie

There is some good information in the thread at the following link. There are links for pictures for install and detailed instructions,

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...hl=PT228-48045
Old 01-24-08, 08:21 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

Claude7629 sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Looks like I don't need to post pictures as the links have some already. I went with the OEM hitch over the brand names because of the look and the fact that the OEM comes with the wire harness and the ball mount. I don't believe it was made by one of the brand name hitch companies as I saw the box it was in and have the box that the ball mount came in. It has Toyota/Lexus, logos, part numbers and made in Japan on it. The aftermarket hitches usually do not include the harness and the ball mount which will run around $75. or so for both. As a couple of the links noted you can get the works for around $250. which includes everything. As for having Lexus install, as I said I had it done for $425 complete and it was listed as 2 hours labor. I believe Lexus of Wayzata was around $125. an hour at the time. So either they gave me a really good deal on the hitch itself or cut the labor amount.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud.
Old 01-24-08, 12:27 PM
wjf168
Driver School Candidate

Default trailer hitch for RX 350

I bought a hitch from etrailer.com for $150.00 and got the shipping special for only .99 cents.

They have 5 models for the RX350 on sale now.

Quick Reply: Tow hitch