RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Confirmed Info about New RX from Australia

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 09:00 PM
sama
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confirmed Info about New RX from Australia

Well we have been seeing articles about the LF-Xf hybrid which was unveiled at the 2007 Tokyo auto show. I just stubmled upon an article which confirms that the next RX will look like the one that was shown at the Tokyo auto show and this is the first time I have seen name of a person linked to Lexus: Lexus Australia boss John Roca

The LF-Xh has a distinctively low roofline which Lexus insiders say will flow through to the production model. Head room is said to be maintained through clever interior packaging.

However, the sleek nose is expected to be toned down for the RX production version of the Lexus concept car.

The all-new, second-generation Lexus RX will arrive in Australian dealerships in early 2009, reviving one of Lexus’s most popular volume sellers.

Lexus says the new RX will still only accommodate five people, but when the production models arrive it will boast more interior space that the RX350 it will replace.

Lexus Australia boss John Roca says Lexus has a major advantage through its experience in being the first luxury car maker to sell a hybrid car.

“Understanding the green customer is going to put us in good stead moving forward,” says Roca.

“We have the credibility and we’ll educate the market.”

Direct link to the article:
Old 01-11-08, 10:51 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

wouldnt this be the third generation? not the second as the article states

and i guess it also confirms its going to be a 5 seater...
Old 01-11-08, 11:17 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think a 7 passenger option should be in order. Look forward to it.
Old 01-12-08, 05:33 AM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
wouldnt this be the third generation? not the second as the article states

and i guess it also confirms its going to be a 5 seater...
It will be 3 rd gen in USA and may be it is 2nd gen in Australia. I have seen the current US 2 nd gen RX instroduced as 1st GEN RX350 introduced as RX300 in asia. So it may be different in different markets.
Old 01-13-08, 12:28 AM
Losiho
Driver

You're correct, the current 330 / 350 shape is the 2nd Gen RX, but the 1st Gen RX300 was never imported into Australia.
Old 01-13-08, 01:42 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

still not adding a third row? again toyota doing whatever it feels like not what the market dictates
Old 01-13-08, 11:24 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

still not adding a third row? again toyota doing whatever it feels like not what the market dictates
well if they did add a third row, i would have to reconsider my decision about buying another RX. Personally i dont need one, and perhaps the demographic that drive the RX series (soccer mom grocery getters) usually dont have more than 2 kids.

if people wanted third row, then they can get the highlander, or the GX.
Old 01-13-08, 11:43 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

well if they did add a third row, i would have to reconsider my decision about buying another RX. Personally i dont need one, and perhaps the demographic that drive the RX series (soccer mom grocery getters) usually dont have more than 2 kids.

if people wanted third row, then they can get the highlander, or the GX.
RIGHT ON with that statement--plus when you get a third row you lose all the storage room in the back--I like all the storage space I have back there now and If I want bigger, Ill go GX or something else
Old 01-13-08, 11:45 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1

Not needed
Old 01-13-08, 02:21 PM
cwirth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AM1
I think Toyota knows exactly what they are doing. A 3rd row is not needed for the RX. You want a third row go up a notch and get the larger SUV.
Old 01-13-08, 05:56 PM
Druco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cwirth
I think Toyota knows exactly what they are doing. A 3rd row is not needed for the RX. You want a third row go up a notch and get the larger SUV.
I really don't want to spend $8,000 more for a 3rd row seat and get 15mpg-19mpg. They can do it in the RX with it being a little longer.
Old 01-13-08, 06:19 PM
zmisst
Rookie

well if they did add a third row, i would have to reconsider my decision about buying another RX.
for the new highlander the 3rd row is an option -- if you want the space instead, they can leave the seat out.
Old 01-13-08, 06:23 PM
tjain
Driver

Originally Posted by Druco
I really don't want to spend $8,000 more for a 3rd row seat and get 15mpg-19mpg. They can do it in the RX with it being a little longer.
15-19 mpg is not an option going forward because of the strict norms that are coming up and especially where the economy is headed right now, Lexus does not want the sales to go down.

It is their bread and butter model in the US for luxury SUv's.RX sales have remained constant at the current 100,000 + for the past few years where as other brands are catching up with cross overs. Lexus will not take any radical steps to mess up with the successful model.

As the article indicates lexus will make look the interior bigger and if people want a true 3 rd row they will upgrate to the GX or go for other vehicles like MDX or X5.

If you look BMX has X3, Acura has RDX,Mercedes has come up with GLK at the detroit auto show.For around the same price range you get a reliable and relatively bigger vehicle in a RX compared to X3/RDX/GLK.
Old 01-13-08, 09:03 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
Sales shows nothing wrong without a third row plus how useful would it be, the only decent third row in a SUV i've been is the Navigator & Expedition 03-up and Mazda CX-9 and i'm only 5'5.
Old 01-13-08, 11:14 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems weird when the rav4 has an option for third row, the highlander does, the 4runner does, and the other cars in its segment adding it into their models. i guess all the other car makers are fools and dont know what they are doing. you guys must know more about automotive sales then those idiots at the auto manufacturers marketing departments. Whatever, the way toyota is going now, whatever they do to the next gen Rx wont matter since the quality is going down the hill anyways.

Quick Reply: Confirmed Info about New RX from Australia