RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What made you decide to buy a Lexus RX330/350

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-08, 10:04 AM
DogLady
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What made you decide to buy a Lexus RX330/350

For those who have already purchaed a Lexus RX 330 or 350 - I'd like to get some feedback on why you chose the Lexus over other cars such as BMW, Acura or anything really. Thanks!!
Old 01-08-08, 10:47 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

well, to be honest, i bought my first lexus in 1999 which was the RX300. at that time, i think my only other choices would have been the ML320, the Inifniti something, and the RX. I didnt like that the ML was built in America, plus there were some seriously issues with the car. long story short, i ended up with the RX.

fast forward 4 years from that date, and Im again searching for a car since the RX300 was a 4 year lease. It was such a good car that i didnt really need to shop around, just went straight to the dealer. Ill give you some reasons why the car is perfect for my family. Seats 5, we have 4 people in the family, so its perfect. At that time (2003), the car was filled with technology, particularly the backup camera which wasnt so common. Its decently priced, lower than competitors, looks great, and drives like a sedan. hope this helps.

p.s. its 4 years later, and im looking out for the new redesigned version of the RX next year
Old 01-08-08, 11:35 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

Somebody may disagree with me but here is.
RX vs. MDX vs. LM vs. BMW vs. Infiniti:
- Reliability (although MDX and Infiniti are on a par)
- Cost of repair (Acura is about same, but others are a lot more)
- Luxury feel
- Cost (turned out to be cheaper to buy RX, then any of listed, except Infiniti, but I hate its style)
- Treatment as customer
- My wife wanted a Lexus
Old 01-08-08, 11:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

WE bought our Lexus becuase of comfort, ride quality, sound insulation, built materil, built quality, relieability, low maintenance cost, low insurance rate, pretty good dealer service and price. Notice I didnt mentioned performance, handling or technology.
Old 01-08-08, 01:05 PM
johncdoyle
Driver School Candidate

Three reasons: reliability, reliability and reliability. Lexus is a Toyota and hence very reliable. I have had many Mercedes and BMWs and they require tons of maintenance and repairs and are very costly to maintain, plus I hated the surprise of things breaking unexpectedly. I don't like the driving experience as well, but would never go back.
Old 01-08-08, 02:44 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus = Toyota with a lot of toys.

We had Toyotas in the past that would last 150k miles with no repairs. So basically we wanted something that looks nice, drives nice and doesn't need it's own mechanic. So far with 60k the car has been perfect and drives just as it was new.
Old 01-08-08, 03:30 PM
inspired
Rookie

well originaly we was looking at the MDX but due to their customer service (very unprofessional ) we decided to get the RX so we can be as cool as Crystal_RX
Old 01-08-08, 04:04 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts

Were out test driving 3rd cars (convertibles) one day and got a bit of sunstroke. Never drove an RX before, so we decided to stop into our local Lexus store later that day and drove the one we own now. Great deal, good service (although pricey), like driving the thing. Our 6 year old Sienna was still growing strong, but at our point in life, we wanted to go upscale and wanted to keep some semblance of carrying capability. With our history with Toyota and personal knowledge of the Cambridge facility where our RX was built, I knew we couldn't go wrong with the RX. Never drove the others and wouldn't consider the German cars for reasons mentioned above. So you can see in our case it's a bunch of things. Will likely be the same for you as well.

We never bought the 3rd car, but may consider the SC for a weekend convertible along with the daily commute when we replace my daily commuter (Focus).
Old 01-08-08, 04:35 PM
javanutsy
Rookie

Wanted a nice, upscale car for the wife that can double with carrying more cargo then a sedan. Since this would be a daily driver for her, reliability was high on the list. And since we don't have unlimited budget, value is important as well. The RX met these objectives nicely.
Old 01-08-08, 04:46 PM
jamesfabin
Driver

Bought an Infiniti FX last January - several issues (rattles, adaptive cruise control failures, driver seat replaced). Infiniti did a buy back. Learned I needed more room in the rear seat and in the back storage area. Really liked the room available in the Lexus, reasonable price, had everything I wanted except active cruise control (none available in the US last summer). Also really liked the reputation Lexus has for quality and reliability. BMW X3 was too small, BMW X5 cost so much more and still small in the 2nd room seats.

I've been fairly happy with the RX350 - had it 1.5 years now. It isn't exciting, but I also don't dislike driving it. I usually trade in cars around 1 year. This is the 2nd longest I've ever had the same vehicle (the other was for 2 years, a BMW Z4 3.0, but I also had the Infiniti & Lexus during 1 year of that lease). I'm extremely picky, so it says a lot that I'm still driving the RX.

Things I'd like to see Lexus improve: Lower maintenance cost (over $1400 at my 25k with my new tires...ouch - other maintenance has ranged from $227-$400+). More aggressive styling, little more room in the far rear (less slope, let me put in some large boxes), Sirius from the factory (I think they may have that know, I purchased it but didn't get it and had to have my $1000 refunded).
Old 01-08-08, 09:10 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought mine a week ago. Reasons: reliability, a lot of standard luxury features for the price, reliability, just the right size (didn't need 3rd seat row), reliability... or did I already mentioned that?
Old 01-08-08, 09:17 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Well I got mine cause I wanted to get one for my mom.

But the other main reason is reliability. I trust Toyota/Lexus' name and build. We have owned over 10 toyota/lexus products and I have only been displeased 1 time. ( 91 camry v6 2.5 liter)

The look of the car is more appealing to me. The softness and driving comfort is just top notch. I think the 04-08 RX is a winner!
Old 01-09-08, 12:12 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why buy a Lexus

We bought our Lexus because we've had many years of trouble free experience with Toyota -combined my wife and I have had 16 different Toyota vehicles . I can count on the fingers of one hand the total warranty work needed (and some wasn't needed just got done anyway). After our first Lexus (RX300 bought slightly used) we enjoyed the luxury touches so much that we’ve just continued with the brand. Now we're looking forward to the upcoming new RX and will likely trade our Thundercloud, but with a great deal of sadness as it's been a superb vehicle. The Wife has to wait a couple more years before we replace the IS though .
Old 01-09-08, 01:51 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Glad to hear there are more and more people happy with their RX purchase. If we can just translate this into a positive input (I think it is being done now...harvesting information) into Lexus where some and all of our complaints are addressed the right way. And it does not end up on a matter of one dealer better than another......standardized service with customer satisfaction as the only GOAL.
Old 01-09-08, 02:04 PM
grouch
Driver

Got one because Consumers Guide rated it the best in Dependability, Value, Ride comfort and Low Noise. I still don't agree with the last two.

Quick Reply: What made you decide to buy a Lexus RX330/350