RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New RX350 purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-08, 10:28 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default New RX350 purchase.

Hi there. I am getting ready to buy my first Lexus (switching from MBZ) and was quoted by Lexus of Portland (OR) $39480 for a new '08 RX350 w/Performance Plus package and HID lights, heated seats and rain-sensing wipers. Looks like a pretty good deal to me, am I correct?
Old 01-01-08, 11:02 AM
vasylko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi and welcome to the club

The price that you quoted: is that the final price you have to pay?
Keep in mind that Lexus dealership normally has about $4,000 above invoice. If you take the invoice price of the car you plan on buying (ask the dealer) subtract about $3,000-$3,400 from it, then that would be the price to buy. I got my dealership to drop to around $600 above invoice. And buddy of mine that works for Lexus told me that that is around what they make when they try to push the inventory, especially during their "December-to-remember event", because they receive incentives from Lexus for selling quantities, not necessarily for higher profit. But he pointed out that it is only till January 2 that they feel pressured to go that way. After that, it gets a bit tricky.

I would recommend you go to this website where people post their experiences and their quotes:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.eea6a05/

Hope that helps
Old 01-01-08, 11:19 AM
arnieosp
Racer

The MSRP on that Lexus was $43216 and we don't have sales tax in OR, so I assume that $39480 was the final price on the vehicle. License and registration fees are extra. And they did tell me that the price is good until Jan 2nd.
Old 01-01-08, 11:31 AM
vasylko
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it seem like a fair price and that he told you about Jan. 2nd.

I think this is a great deal, but I would suggest you something: Navigation.

This is very nice feature to have. My friend has RX without it and swears to this day that he did not pay additional 2k for that, especially when you buy one. I lease the car and I have it, but I plan on buying the lease out.

It is such a useful thing to have in a car. Just the bluetooth alone is worth it. You should test drive with one and have Lexus rep show you some things about it. Just a suggestion, but decision is yours of course.

Ohh yeah one more thing. almost forgot:

I LOVE MY RX
Old 01-01-08, 03:51 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vasylko
I think this is a great deal, but I would suggest you something: Navigation.
I will disagree here. There are some very nice aftermarket GPS nav systems that you can move from car to car. We bought the best TomTom and move it from my wifes RX to my BMW. Versatility. Updates done via computer. Routes/destination can be changed while driving.

Do a search and you will see that for $2000 you get a Nav system that won't allow on-the-move changes and requires dealer service. I say buy the best TomTom or Garmin you like and pocket the difference.

Btw, we take our GPS off and stow it in an old, nondescript bag on the floor. When we are home, the bag comes inside the house.
Old 01-01-08, 05:51 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In car navigation units, although good in terms of being integrated into dash and a slightly better reception of satellites, is obsolete in two years. You can update the maps with new DVD maps, but who knows what new technology will come out in two, three, four years from now for NAV units. Portable units are good from car to car, you can get new units once your existing one is too obsolete, and you have of course the ability to update maps also. I have a Nuvi 660, and it has updated mapping, traffic module, bluetooth, FM transmitter, and MP3 player and all this for $450. And with the portability, I can use this across every car I have and will have, so each car I'm saving easily $1500.
Old 01-01-08, 06:01 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Getting Navi is completely up to you though. I personally have no use for navi, but its whatever you need. The price sounds good, hopefully you join the RX family. They are great cars.
Old 01-01-08, 10:59 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I Pm you back!! YES I would recommend the NAV, once you have it and use it you wonder how you lived without it. As far as the Perf Pack, Skip it--I had it on my 04 and its fun to play with for a month or 2 but after that you forget about it---Skip PP and get the NAV--much better trade off
Old 01-01-08, 11:03 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

again, dont forget that the dealer can still sell at invoice and make$$. hell they can sell under invoice and still make $$$.
Old 01-01-08, 11:11 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AM1
again, dont forget that the dealer can still sell at invoice and make$$. hell they can sell under invoice and still make $$$.
Almost impossible to do up here in AK with ONE dealer
Old 01-01-08, 11:15 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

only one dealer??? ok well if you have multiple dealers then its posible.
Old 01-01-08, 11:28 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Yes One dealer for the whole state of Alaska! I could go down to Seattle for cheaper but in the end I m sure I would not save very much. I can tell you this has to be the BEST customer oriented dealer in the world--100000000% take care of anything you need and more
Old 01-02-08, 07:28 AM
cariesfree
Rookie

MSRP seems high to me. Mine came with AWD, Navi, premium 18" wheel but was less than 43K.
I would vote to get the Navi. Some mentioned about the portability of the after market ones, but I personally don't like the look, size and resolution. You can find a real nice in-dash aftermarket, but most likely it won't fit and work well with the car. I'm not sure if you can get the back-up camera alone, but it's included with the Navi. It's quite helpful if you do parallel parking and/or have small kids in your neighborhood. Good luck with the decision. RX is a great compact SUV by the way.
Old 01-02-08, 08:29 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Thanks for all your inputs. BOOYAH, thatnks for the PM.

I don't think I want a NAV because I have a little Garmin 270 and I love it. It went with me on 2 European trips, because I bought it with Europe maps. We can easily transfer it from one car to another. As far as back-up camera, even though it's nice to have one, but extra 2 grand is a litle too much.

I am going to the dealer this morning. I figured that their invoce on the car was around $38.2, so they want almost $1300 over invoice. I will try offering them about $38.8 cash and see what happens. Thanks again, everybody.
Old 01-02-08, 04:39 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Well, boys and girs, I got it. Paid $39,209 for it. The dealer would not come down any more, not even 9 bucks to make it an even number. Anyways, I love the RX. I got it in sage (kind of olive green) exterior and ivory interior. Where can I buy some mud guards?

Quick Reply: New RX350 purchase.