RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Faint crackling noise from instr. panel

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 01:25 PM
vasylko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shoccwave

sorry - do you refer to the instrument panel or door noise

my pologies for making this confusing and posting 2 different issues under the specific thread
Old 02-21-08, 05:46 AM
shoccwave
Driver School Candidate

sorry for not being specific,
the faint crackling noise in the IP when applying the brakes..
Old 02-22-08, 09:38 AM
Junkxus
Rookie

Default Noise in dash

Well my 08 RX350 with 2500 miles on it is at the dealer for several days to resolve several issues. The update on the dash noise is they hear it. Thank God. They will investigate. I will update when I have more noise. The 08 RX loaner has 12k miles on it but has the noise, but much, much harder to hear.
Old 02-27-08, 01:45 PM
Junkxus
Rookie

Well here is the news. The noise is caused by a design problem with the Brake booster assy. Some cars are louder than others. I sat in a new Japan built RX and it was louder than my 08. The 08 loaner I have is 50% less. Lexus knows of the problem, and continues to build the cars the same way. They have no, yes, no solution at this time!!!! The vibration travels from the booster up the pedal assy. and ends by the fuse / relay block under the dash. I will have to isolate this and try to deaden it some how. I will attempt a fix on my own.

What a poorly built car!!! Relentless Pursuit of #%^%&%!!!!!
Old 02-28-08, 06:03 AM
vasylko
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Junkxus for update. Much appreciated

My noise level is not that big (car was built in Canada). I can certainly deal with it, especially when I listen to music. So here is the dilemma:

Should I have dealership look at it and attempt to fix it, risking that they might create other problems/rattles (considering how it is built in the first place) or just stick with it and kind of grow into this noise.

I think I like the latter approach. I just don't realle trust them with fixing it and more concern with other issues coming from it.

Anyway, thanks for the news and let me know how you fixed it yourself. Would love to hear your own solution to it

V
Old 02-28-08, 08:12 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I suggest that you grow comfortable with your dealer, or a another dealer. Your fear might not be substantiated. You will have to deal with the Lexus representative...which is the dealer. In Japan, Dealers behave quite differently than the US. Toyota has started implementing lean ways on their dealership....RFTOT...Right The First Time On Time. They have cut repair costs 30% and have made Customers happy because they make 1 trip and problem is fixed. Not the "Three Times Perfect" motto. It takes 3 times to make it right.
Old 02-28-08, 03:00 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by vasylko

Should I have dealership look at it and attempt to fix it......

V
Yes, I would. I would do it first of all for the purpose of getting it documented while the car is still under warranty. (I assume it is, right?) Then, when they come up with a TSB and in case your car is out of the warranty, they would still have to fix it for free, because it was documented that the problem occured while the car was still under waranty. Does it make any sense?
Old 02-29-08, 08:15 AM
vasylko
Driver School Candidate

yes it does make sense. however, to be honest with you I do not want to open up another can of issues. Then I will be really disappointed. At least now I love the car, except for this little thing. I guess I will see how it grows on me
Old 03-03-08, 07:49 AM
jednav
Driver

girgling sound around the vent/dash? It is the coolant circulating!

quite common problem for all vehicles. for the fix, visit your local dealer.
Old 03-07-08, 12:07 PM
vasylko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jednav
girgling sound around the vent/dash? It is the coolant circulating!

quite common problem for all vehicles. for the fix, visit your local dealer.
Noise comes when I apply breaks slightly at the start. Then after a sec of keeping a foot on the brake noise go away. when I relese noise goes back on and then goes away. sometimes it might come on by its own but very rare.

Do you have the same when you apply breaks?
Old 03-07-08, 01:34 PM
Junkxus
Rookie

Yes, I have the same problem. The noise comes when the the brake is pressed and when it is released. I used a automotive scope and traced the noise to the check valve on the booster. No auto part store sells a replacement for this. The car is going to the dealer on Monday, I told them what I found. We will try a couple from stock and then check the RX's on the lot to find a quiet check valve. My investigation proves that the noise is the internals in the valve that is making the noise. My uncle has the twin to my RX and I checked his check valve, NO NOISE!!! I will report back next week. I also bypassed the valve and no noise at the booster!!!!
Old 03-08-08, 03:55 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah, let us know. I have the same noise with the brakes applied, but its so faint. I can barely hear it when the car is idling and not during the driving. It doesn't bug me yet, but if there was a way to fix it, I would.
Old 03-10-08, 04:54 PM
Junkxus
Rookie

Well, back from the dealer. They agree it is the check valve. They will order one. I finished adding Dynamat to the hatch floor, quarter panels, and inner and outer door skins. (The RX is much quieter and solid like a German car) but that is another post. So I had a small piece left over and put it on the brake booster and check valve. The noise is gone, dead, ka-put!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am very happy!!!
Old 03-10-08, 09:17 PM
vasylko
Driver School Candidate

Junkxus

Thanks for the update. That actually helps a lot. So are you still going to have them fix it or what you did solved it and you are not going to bother.

Hey, one more question - can you please describe in detail how to fix it. You mentioned a couple of parts, but I am not sure what you mean byt them and where to look for it. Also what is Dynamat? Step-by-step instructions would be great. Please. I been driving today and even though I can ignore the noise you can still hear it and me knowing it is there making it even more louder while my wife does not hear a thing.

Thanks
Old 07-31-14, 08:56 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Back from the dead...I started to hear crackling noises on the driver side under the dash. It started faint and it goes away and now it is consistently crackling. I have not been under the dashboard to see what components they might come from.

Check valve was mentioned and some dynamatting...I have no clue.

Anybody else have this classic crackling intermittent sound?

Quick Reply: Faint crackling noise from instr. panel