RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus RX 330/350 Redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 10:33 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Bord
I just got back from Nalley Lexus and got the brochure on the 2009 RX and I will post some pictures. Looks like nothing changed but the wheels.
Those wheels are the same from 2008.
Old 01-04-08, 07:07 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The MDX is sportier, but if I were to buy a performance SUV, it would not be the MDX. The MDX does not pride itself on luxury, it try to appeal to male drivers with all the high tech stuff. One look inside the new MDX, I knew it wasnt for me. Way too many buttons inside and the built quality was not up to Lexus standards. To me, a push button starter does not define a luxurious cars, its the built material and finish that matters.
Old 01-04-08, 07:47 AM
cwirth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't bought my Lexus yet but probably will do so in the spring. I looked at the MDX and it is larger than I wanted and did not have have that luxury feel that I want in my next vehicle. Don't care at all for that push button starter either. Key start is just fine with me.

Last edited by cwirth; 01-04-08 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-06-08, 12:41 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
The reason that the MDX is outsold by the RX is that it's "too big." It's not Suburban big, but it's too big for most people nowadays that want smaller SUV's. They want a "4x4" but still don't want to offend the environmentalists... too much atleast. I have not riden in the current MDX, but the previous MDX just was not luxurious at all. It was basically a glorified Honda interior. The faux wood looked fake, glove box was cheapo feel, and drive was too spongy to be a SPORT utility vehicle. I'm sure the current MDX is much better, but size is still about 20% too big.
If someone wanted a smaller SUV they would buy something along the lines of the RAV4 Or CR-V. The RX330-350 is more of a true "crossover" suv in the first place it is very much like other toyota products. Numb overboosted steering, little road feel, lots of suspension squishyness, quiet ride at the expense of road feel, all qualities that the typical lexus buyer likes. The MDX really is similar in some aspects but an entirely different driving experience again similar to most honda products. Sorry to say this but the wood in the RX looks fake or is it fake to begin with? Really until youve driven a car extensively with a push start or keyless start you'll wonder why they havent added it to the current RX350, no need for it? wtf? Lastly, if anyone cares honda is not in some race to sell more then toyota they instead focus on making better cars and cars with better technology.
Old 01-07-08, 11:03 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The Lexus sales numbers is a indication of what most people really want in a SUV. In a forum like this, most posters are more focus on performance and technology. In the really world, most people would rather have a car that is built with good material, relieable, comfortable and well built.
Old 01-07-08, 06:18 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rav4 ?

Originally Posted by AM1
If someone wanted a smaller SUV they would buy something along the lines of the RAV4 Or CR-V. The RX330-350 is more of a true "crossover" suv in the first place it is very much like other toyota products.
Last I checked, there is no luxury RAV4 or CR-V equivalent (don't even mention RDX) in the Lexus lineup. Also, the wood in all Lexus' are real. Wood overly glossed always looks fake, with the Lexus wood not being exception.

Ahhh... we should just all buy a Suzuki SX4 wagon.
Old 01-08-08, 01:15 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Last I checked, there is no luxury RAV4 or CR-V equivalent (don't even mention RDX) in the Lexus lineup. Also, the wood in all Lexus' are real. Wood overly glossed always looks fake, with the Lexus wood not being exception.

Ahhh... we should just all buy a Suzuki SX4 wagon.
There should be an equivalent in the lexus lineup, like infinitis EX35, acuras RDX, BMW's X3, etc. Again, another case of toyota doing whatever it feels like when making cars, and it shows when you see all the models they've killed in the past 7-8 years versus other car makers. Well when all you care about is selling the most cars things like reliability, build quality, just goes out the window. hmm i dunno about all wood looking fake. the wood in the LS430/460 doesnt look fake. Lastly, making fun of the suzuki SX4? The car might not be a lexus, but has always had good reviews in its segment from auto journalists. Get off your high horse a lexus is nothing to brag about, and if you care about that.................................
Old 01-08-08, 06:12 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Ther must be diff. grade of wood for Lexus, because the wood on the RX and the ES does look fake even though they are real. The wood on the GX, LX and Ls looks real, but they are very expensive, a little 2" X 10" piece cost like $800.
The market for performance SUV is not that big and its already saturated, Lexus is smart not to invest heavily into it.
Old 01-08-08, 11:39 AM
rob22909
Driver School Candidate

from the looks of those brochure pics, it appears that the '09 RX still has a useless tape deck in the dash... how much more outdated can you get??? might as well have an 8 track changer in the back!
Old 01-08-08, 11:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Tape deck is like a floppy disk on a computer. My new computer didnt come with one, I had to install one myself. You never know when you may need one.
Old 01-08-08, 12:24 PM
rob22909
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
Tape deck is like a floppy disk on a computer. My new computer didnt come with one, I had to install one myself. You never know when you may need one.
I don't know about that. I haven't listened to a cassette in over ten years. And in the past 5 years I've been more inclined to listen to my ipod or mp3 CD's vs. standard CD's... Oh well, I guess at 29, I just may be too young to be owning an RX.
Old 01-08-08, 09:58 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Ther must be diff. grade of wood for Lexus, because the wood on the RX and the ES does look fake even though they are real. The wood on the GX, LX and Ls looks real, but they are very expensive, a little 2" X 10" piece cost like $800.
The market for performance SUV is not that big and its already saturated, Lexus is smart not to invest heavily into it.
see thats what im talking about......it looks fake in the lower end lexus models but not in the higher end ones. should be the same thorughout the lineup. you would have thought that by now they would have added a aux input for the radio instead of a tape deck, but again thats toyota doing whatever it feels like not what the market dictates.
Old 01-09-08, 06:57 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nahhhh... nahhhhhh... a horse is a horse, of course of course...

I'm not riding a high Lexus horse, it's just that when people start bashing for little things, it's just like "okay, find me the perfect car."

Yes, the wood in the highter end models do look "better" but that's because Lexus actually went through the effort of matching pieces and making sure there is a continuous wood grain that flows through the dash. They're not going to do for a $70K vehicle the same as a $40K vehicle, and that holds true for any manufacturer.

Hey, the only thing I can be blamed for is being a Japanese car lover, I'm not loyal to any particular Japanese make, but I do favor Honda/Acura actually. Lexus, I can actually do without.
Old 01-09-08, 07:00 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From what I understand, the wood grain is matched across pieces for the new IS. They could do that for other vehicles...
Old 01-09-08, 09:19 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

about the tape deck. It only comes with the Nav. I recently got an 08 loaner and it did not have a tape deck.

i would actually want a tape deck. i still keep a tape in there...call me old fashioned, but there are some good oldies. However, it is a pain trying to find the start of every song when rewinding...LOL

Quick Reply: Lexus RX 330/350 Redesign?