RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Need Help Electrical Malfunction/Broken Key

Old 11-28-07, 01:30 PM
rtpatter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Electrical Malfunction/Broken Key

Having problems with my 04' RX. My wife broke her key and taped it back together and continued to drive. Eventually the car wouldn't start so she thought it was the car battery and had it replaced. However, once the new battery was installed the car still wouldn't start. Once we used the spare set the car started. However, the driverside master window control would only operate the drivers window the passenger windows would only operate with the lever on that particular door. Also the sunroof would no longer open and the memory seating no longer worked. We fidgeted with the master window controls while fidgeting with each lever on that particular door at the same time and one by one each one started working. I kept fidgeting with the sunroof and evetually it started halfway working. The onetouch no longer works and both the open and the tilt levers now do exactly the same thing. They both will open/close the roof and if you keep holding the lever it will tilt. So you now you have to perfectly time when to let go of the lever so that the sunroof is properly closed. The memory seating still does not respond at all.

I'm sure this has something to do with the security feature from my wife trying to use a broken key and the battery replacement but I'm not sure what to do next.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-28-07, 02:15 PM
rtpatter
Driver School Candidate

Default Broken Key Question

One of my Master Keys plastic shell/transponder broke apart from the blade. When I press the buttons on the transponder the lights still come on however it will no longer open the doors I also can no longer use the blade to start the car. Is there a way to fix this broken key to work again? Or must I simply replace? I have one other properly working Master.
Old 11-28-07, 02:32 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

All of the window problems are part of disconnecting the battery for more than a few moments. They are easily reset. With the key in the "run" position, fully lower and raise each window from its local switch to restore remote function from the driver's door. Now, press the rocker switch to close the moonroof tilt and hold it in place while the panel opens, closes, then tilts up and down. Job done. You will have to re-set your seat, exterior mirror, and wheel positions as you want them, then with the ignition on and gear selector in park, press and hold the bottom seat memory button while touching the #1 or #2 button to set that position in memory (you'll hear a confirming beep when it is set).

Your battery was probably OK if it would turn the engine over, now that you have a new one, that's fine, you probably don't have to worry with this for several more years.

Now as to that broken key. I repaired mine with superglue (being very careful not to glue a button) and it worked fine for a month before my wife, getting a little impatient, tried to twist the ignition switch about 360 degrees. She succeeded in breaking the case again. I'm going to check with my dealer about replacing just the case, I understand that there are parts available for at least one side of the case on ebay.
Old 11-28-07, 04:42 PM
rtpatter
Driver School Candidate

Default One more question

Thanks for your help. Everything you said worked with the exception of the memory seats. I can still move the seats but I get no response from the memory buttons. I've tried setting with the car running and in park and with the key just in the on position. I'm pressing the set button and button 1 or 2 and holding for a few seconds but I get no beep any suggestions on what to try next?
Old 12-03-07, 11:54 AM
rtpatter
Driver School Candidate

Still having no luck with the memory seating.

Did you ever find out about replacing just the plastic casing for the key?

Thanks
Old 12-03-07, 01:47 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Sometimes it takes a few seconds, like 10 to get it to activate. Try it again.