RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Problem w/ putting snowboards on roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 11:35 AM
Jimbo2828
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem w/ putting snowboards on roof rack

wonder if anyone else have this problem. I have an thule ski and snowboard carrier but the bindings on snowbaords dont clear between the racks and the bindings also dont clear the roof. wonder if anyyone have an DIY solution.
Old 11-28-07, 05:07 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not sure how narrow/wide your stance is, but usually we have one binding in front (ahead) of the first bar and then one in between the bars. for the board on the bottom we always have to remove the binding straps only b/c there is not enough clearance otherwise.

i have the pull-out ski Thule tops and use them for snowboards each year and that is the only way we can make it happen. but it works well and there is no wind noise at all so i'm happy with them. there aren't any risers for Thule AFAIK. on my old RX300 we used yakima which had a "ski lift" riser on one side, which allowed 1 upside down snowboard to fit without removing the binding straps. the yakima powderhounds weren't able to fit on my RX330 when it first came out (the mounts weren't big enough, and Yakima hadn't made any for the thicker crossbars)
Old 11-28-07, 07:48 PM
Jimbo2828
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslover
i'm not sure how narrow/wide your stance is, but usually we have one binding in front (ahead) of the first bar and then one in between the bars. for the board on the bottom we always have to remove the binding straps only b/c there is not enough clearance otherwise.

i have the pull-out ski Thule tops and use them for snowboards each year and that is the only way we can make it happen. but it works well and there is no wind noise at all so i'm happy with them. there aren't any risers for Thule AFAIK. on my old RX300 we used yakima which had a "ski lift" riser on one side, which allowed 1 upside down snowboard to fit without removing the binding straps. the yakima powderhounds weren't able to fit on my RX330 when it first came out (the mounts weren't big enough, and Yakima hadn't made any for the thicker crossbars)
i guess thats the only way to do it then. its a pain in da *** removing the binding every time and putting it back on. Push I also got to put skis on top too, so if i were to put one binding in front of the first bar the bindings on the skis wont clear guess im going to try to make a bracket to lift and maybe extended the carrier a little more forward to clear the bindings
Old 11-28-07, 09:01 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh if you have skis also, that seems simpler - you can just put the skis on the bottom and have the boards facing right side up... i think we've done that before. i don't remember exactly though; we have boards but one time we had a skiier friend with us and i don't remember if those clamps get in the way of the boards when you go belly to belly, but i think they were ok...

yeah the bindings are somewhat of a pain, but depending on the kind of binding, you don't have to take the whole thing off, just the strap part that goes over your boots. luckily when we go we only do the binding thing on the way up and on the way back, so it's not too bad. but if you had to drive each day to and from the lift area, it could get to be a real hassle

i put the front crossbar all the way forward, and the front of the boards go over the moonroof. i don't remember what setting i have the rear, but with the various length boards, the front is most important otherwise when you open your tailgate you could scratch up that black spoiler if the boards aren't placed far enough forward! (we learned this the hard way w/ our old RX300)