RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Remote Start For X-Mas ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-07, 10:34 AM
Lexguy026
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start For X-Mas ??

I attempted to call a Local Lexus Dealer to inquire about how much a remote start / install would be cause i wanted to retain the use of the factory remote, Well the Local Dealership Informed me that they dont recommend installing it and they wont do it. That the Remote Starts Intefere with the electrical systems? I Then went to a local Stereo/Remote Start Place and they said it can be done and that they offer a lifetime warrenty on the parts and labor? So Who do i beleive? Any one have remote start in thier RX330!?
Old 11-16-07, 10:47 AM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexguy026
I attempted to call a Local Lexus Dealer to inquire about how much a remote start / install would be cause i wanted to retain the use of the factory remote, Well the Local Dealership Informed me that they dont recommend installing it and they wont do it. That the Remote Starts Intefere with the electrical systems? I Then went to a local Stereo/Remote Start Place and they said it can be done and that they offer a lifetime warrenty on the parts and labor? So Who do i beleive? Any one have remote start in thier RX330!?
Automobiles are made up of many systems: the starting system, the fuel system, the electrical system, the air conditioning system, the lighting system, and so on. In the past, these systems operated independent of each other. Today, they are integrated into the complete vehicle design to provide us with a more comfortable, safe, and secure vehicle. The down side of this is that adding certain accessories to the vehicle can have unwanted side effects and cost you a lot of money in repair bills.

Look below for more details:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/at_000515.htm
Old 11-16-07, 12:42 PM
DakotaRX
Driver

There have been numerous posts on this subject if you check back thru the search feature. But as long as I'm on here's my 2 cents. I had a GS300 for four years with an Astro Start system with no problems. I now have a 2005 RX330 Thundercloud which has the Astro Start system in it as well. Again with no problems. My Lexus dealer in Wayzata, MN does not install them either but also said they felt there was no real problem with them. The Ford, Chevy and even the Toyota dealers here in town and all around ND install them. In fact this time of year all of them are advertising if you by a new or even a pre-owned from them they will install a free Astro Start system. Just make sure you get a good system and a good installer.

Current: 2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Thundercloud Mist, Gray/Black Interior with Black Birdseye Maple, HID with AFS, NAV, ML, Rain Sensing Wipers, Tow Package with OEM Hitch, 18' Thundercloud rims with Michelin MXV4's (Alenza's coming soon).
Previous: 1998 GS300
Old 11-16-07, 01:06 PM
bngu1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i've had remote start installed on all of the vehicles i owned including my rx330 without any problems. i didn't even have them installed at the local shops or dealers; i installed them myself. i do not work in stereo shop or anything to do with car electronics. i don't even work in the automotive field. they are very safe if they are installed properly so i'm calling BS on the dealer comments.
Old 11-16-07, 05:52 PM
CTtech
Driver School Candidate

I recently purchased an RX350 and wanted the remote starter installed. My dealer told me the same as others did. They do not install or recommend, due to the very complex computer systems in the vehicle. The sales person did mention he knows people do it and all you need to remember is they, the installer, would need a programed key transponder. He said most use the wallet key for this. I would only caution one other thing, if you are still within warranty, check to see if it voids any coverage.
Good Luck, and if you get it let us know how it works for you,
CTtech
Old 11-16-07, 11:10 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

BULLCRAP!! My Lexus dealer put them on all Lexus's all day long!! I have had one on my 04 and 08 with ZERO problems. I had a stero shop put mine in as they do tons of lexus's themselves.
ANother thing they do not need to keep a key as most Decent car starters have an extra piece they can install to overide that.
Old 11-17-07, 12:58 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what a lazy dealer. i dont see why they cant do it
Old 11-17-07, 01:12 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep dealer is useless!
Old 11-17-07, 10:46 AM
bngu1
Driver School Candidate

i don't know why dealers make suck BAD comments because they don't offer the service. if they don't offer remote starts why can't they just say sorry we don't install remote starts but you can find other places that offer them.
Old 11-17-07, 03:16 PM
Tom H
Rookie

I just had a remote installed on my 08 RX350 by a local Accutek franchised shop and I have to say they did an outstanding job and it works perfectly. I bought the basic "Valet" model 563t from Directed Electronics. We plan to go ahead and get one on the wife's 07 Camry XLE but after reading the first few posts on this thread I decided to call Toyota for their price to avoid any warranty issues. Toyota said they have a local installer come out to install it and that it would not void the warranty. I then found out they use the same company that did my Lexus install. Toyota quoted $375.00 while I paid $357.00. Maybe the reason the Lexus dealers walk away is because they can't get away with putting their typical 70% markup on it.

Todays cars are designed to be configured for remote starting. Most of the components are plug in and go.
Old 11-19-07, 03:28 AM
geosommer
Driver School Candidate

Default remote start capabilities

For those RX folks with a dealer installed remote start, how much did you pay?
How is it, how far away can you be to start it, do you lose one of your car
fobs?

Thanks for any info.

geosommer
07 RX400H
Old 11-24-07, 04:18 AM
Lexguy026
Rookie

Well, Im Taking the Plung, My GF decided to get me the Remote Start Seeing as it would be needed for me. Anyhoot, i went to a couple of shops that said w/ confiedence they could do it, in the Long Island Area, im taking it to a Shop Called JAZZ AUDIO. I didnt want another whole remote but i have to get it and i didnt want an alarm i just wanted to remote start, so they are going to install a Viper Remote Start, Which my job also recommended, for around $250 With a Lifetime Warranty on Parts Labor. So it sounds good, and it just so happens the girl who works in the insurance company next door too this car audio shop has a Brand New RX350 which she had her Remote start installed also there so i went in there and asked her how it was working and if she noticed any problems, she stated no, and everything works great! So it makes me fell better the only think i didnt like is that they stated they needed my valet key to stick under the dash so that way i wouldnt need a bypass kit which somtimes can fail they said. So i Agreed but i just dont like the idea of one of my keys being stuck under the dash somewhere hidden, o well ill let u know how it goes tonight.
Old 11-24-07, 06:54 AM
NJPaul
Driver School Candidate

I had a unit installed by the dealer when I purchased my ES350 earlier this month. They charged me $595 but I expected to pay more from them. They originally wanted $795 but I negotiated it down. They did not need to hide my valet key. It ia a Audiovox PRO 9056 SMK and I am very happy with it so far.
Old 11-24-07, 09:49 AM
bngu1
Driver School Candidate

hey "Lexguy026" you might wanna try to contact this guy name John over at the infinitfx.org forum. he has a stereo shop in long island. his username over at infinitifx.org is "johnmax" and his website is http://www.johnandkim.org/
Old 11-24-07, 04:52 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by geosommer
For those RX folks with a dealer installed remote start, how much did you pay?
How is it, how far away can you be to start it, do you lose one of your car
fobs?
Ours was $595, including an additional--uncut but programmed--master or valet key (I'm not sure which one) for the bypass unit. The range is fantastic. I can start the car from the checkout lane at Costco, a full 200 yards from the car, through 2 concrete walls. Unfortunately that means an additional keyfob, but I think it's worth it.

When we initially got it, I was kinda mad that we paid as much as we did, since Abt electronics would have installed a higher-end unit for laround $200 (plus a key). But in hindsight, paying an extra $300 on a $50k car for the dealer to have nowhere to point fingers at in the event of a problem is a worthwhile investment.

Quick Reply: Remote Start For X-Mas ??