RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Check engine and VSC light came on

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-07, 02:19 PM
aznpunk97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andreys
aznpunk97,

"check engine" (along with VSC light, same thing) light comes on whenever there is a warning. For example, if your air filter is dirty, the warning will come on; if your gas cap is loose, the warning will come on.

To make things easier, simply stop by at any parts store, such as AutoZone and ask them to read OBDII code for you. Once you know what it is, they usually will tell if it is something major or something that can be fixed with a twist of a gas cap.

Lexmex is simply guessing that it is a sensor of something major (don't forget, his car is at least 8 years old -- RX300 rather than RX350), so get the code from AutoZone and you might save yourself a trip to a dealer if it is something very simple.
okay I understand now... so if it is a gas cap that is loose, if I retighten it, how long before the light goes away? I tighten it again during lunch and drove less than couple miles but it's still on. I will head to autozone after work today to get the obdii code...
Old 10-23-07, 02:23 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aznpunk97
okay I understand now... so if it is a gas cap that is loose, if I retighten it, how long before the light goes away? I tighten it again during lunch and drove less than couple miles but it's still on. I will head to autozone after work today to get the obdii code...
Usually it takes about 60-100 miles for a system to reset (it needs enough miles "to be sure"). At AutoZone, they can also reset the "check engine" light and you can drive the same 60-100 miles to see if the light will come on.
Old 10-23-07, 06:55 PM
spider165
Driver School Candidate

i just bought an 04 rx330 and two weeks into driving it. the vsc, abs, and the tire pressure light came on out of no where. but when i restarted the car later that day the lights turned off, and haven't turn on since.

should i be worried?
Old 10-23-07, 10:14 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

yeh, you usually have to clear the warnings for them to go away...but since your going to the dealership, they will take care of it.

should i be worried?
umm yah. the car probably logged the event, so again, take it to the dealer or an auto place and they can read it for you.
Old 10-24-07, 03:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

You may have just had a lean error. This can also be gas cap associated, but sometimes air temperature related, both of which can turn off by themselves after about 3 start ups. If I see the code, I have a better idea.
Old 10-24-07, 03:18 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the light goes off by itself don't worry about it. That is the exact same thing that happened to me as I described in posts earlier. My engine and VSC lights all came on. I made an appointment with the dealer for them to check it out, but the earliest they could take me was a week later. The lights stayed on for about 2 days, then just went off by itself. I did nothing. Didn't change or clean my air filter, didn't fill up gas as I had a full tank, didn't retighten the gas cap. I did nothing on purpose because I wanted to see what code the dealer would retrieve. Problem is the light went off and the there were NO codes stored according to the dealer so they couldn't do anything. They just told me to come back if it happens again. It never happened again in the remaining 2-3 years I had the car.
Old 01-18-08, 07:14 PM
9650jd
Driver School Candidate

I am new to this so hope I am doing this right.
I have a 05 RX330 with 33,000 miles. After being parked for 3 days I got in it and the check engine light and VSC light were on. I live 200 miles from a Lexus dealer so I took it to Toyota to have it checked because I thought it was probably minor. They pulled a P0 453 code which they said was a vapor pressure sensor. They shut the lights off and they stayed off until I drove it the next morning. The lights have been on for 2 weeks. I filled it up and drove the 200 miles to the dealer today and they say it was just the gas cap. So who is right--Toyota or Lexus?
Old 01-19-08, 05:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 9650jd
I am new to this so hope I am doing this right.
I have a 05 RX330 with 33,000 miles. After being parked for 3 days I got in it and the check engine light and VSC light were on. I live 200 miles from a Lexus dealer so I took it to Toyota to have it checked because I thought it was probably minor. They pulled a P0 453 code which they said was a vapor pressure sensor. They shut the lights off and they stayed off until I drove it the next morning. The lights have been on for 2 weeks. I filled it up and drove the 200 miles to the dealer today and they say it was just the gas cap. So who is right--Toyota or Lexus?
Welcome to the Club.

It's high on the pressure sensor with that code. I assume they checked out the sensor itself (measured the resistance) before coming to that conclusion and if the light is of now, then consider the case closed.
Old 01-25-08, 06:23 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

My code was P0456 and it was the gas cap. The first time I took it in they re-tightened the cap. The second time I took it in, they replaced the gas cap.
It seems even if you tighten the cap and hear it click, the cap can loosen over time and cause the check light to come on again. Insist the dealer replace the seal on the gas cap or give you a new one! It may save you a re-trip to the dealer.
Old 01-31-08, 09:00 AM
Jaime55
Driver School Candidate

Default second time with this problem

My check VSC indicator is on as well as the check engine light, the red triangle warning light and the yellow traction control light. Took it in and got codes P043F, P2401, P2402 and P2419. They ran diagnostic and found EVAP pump is bad. The entire EVAP Cannister Assembly was replaced last week at a cost of about $800 (hopefully Lexus will reimburse soon) and now a week later all of the same lights are back on.

Any suggestions?

-2007 IS 250 AWD
Old 01-31-08, 06:39 PM
BBHanks
Rookie

Had the same thing happen to me so I disconnected the battery cable for a minute and the lights went out. Took it to the dealer a couple days later and they found a bad gas cap. It showed no codes they said. That was almost a year ago and no more check engine light.
Old 02-19-08, 10:39 PM
silelex
Driver School Candidate

I have a 03 gs 300. got it in sept 07, and a couple months later the the check engine light and vsc light and vsc off comes on. I take it back to dealer and that day light goes off. Mid Dec 07, light comes back on, I drive it for two months, because I was busy, the lights stll on. I called Saturday to sched an appt for today Tues and the light went off yesterday. I don't get it. I drive the heck out of it for two months and the day prior, it goes off. Dealer probably thinks I'm crazy. I am worried though, planning a 12hour trip up north. Does anyone or any Lexus mechs, know the straight scoop regarding this light?
Old 02-19-08, 10:41 PM
silelex
Driver School Candidate

Does any Lexus personel/representative know the real scoop regarding the "Vcs" light coming on and off. As well as the "check engine" light.
Old 02-20-08, 06:22 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Club, there is no straight scoop. What you likely have is a P0171 lean error come on. That could be the gas cap. Since you are on an OBD2 system, such error should still be stored in the computer and be accessible via an OBD2 scanner.
Old 12-11-09, 06:56 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for this topic and replies. I unplugged the battery and tightened the cap till it clicked. Started the car up and the lights were gone.

Quick Reply: Check engine and VSC light came on