RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Questions about oil and oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-07, 07:57 PM
asianrage
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about oil and oil filters

I've been searching the forums about oil and filters and I'm getting a bit overwhelmed all the information being scatter shot all over the place. Hopefully, the questions I'm asking will have answers that everyone can refer to

Regarding oil
1. What brand of dino oil? I just picked up a case Chevron Supreme Dino oil. Anyone has any experience with Chevron oil?

2. What brand of synthetic? I'm considering switching to synthetic but I don't know much about the various brand out there. What does everyone use? Mobil 1? Royal Purple?

3. Coupons? Deals?

Regarding filters
1. What brand of oil filter should I look at purchasing? Should I buy from the dealership?

2. Who makes the oil filters for Lexus? I read that Denso makes two different kind, one for Lexus/Toyota, and one of a higher quality for their own brand.

3. When changing oil, do you need the oil filter wrench? My previous car was an Acura and I didn't need it, but I haven't done anything with Toyota/Lexus so I don't know.

Thanks
Old 09-30-07, 08:21 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Regarding oil
1. What brand of dino oil? I just picked up a case Chevron Supreme Dino oil. Anyone has any experience with Chevron oil?

**That is a good oil, but so are the oil offerings from Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, etc. You didn't specify driving conditions, oil change interval, etc; that is important information. Are you trying to extend intervals? A lot of stop-n-go? Will you see weather extremes?

2. What brand of synthetic? I'm considering switching to synthetic but I don't know much about the various brand out there. What does everyone use? Mobil 1? Royal Purple?

**Mobil 1 is an excellent oil. Or you could go for an excellent synthetic at a very good price, Pennzoil Platinum. You can't go wrong with either.

3. Coupons? Deals?

**Pennzoil Platinum at Advance Auto Parts; sometimes offered at a buy 1, get 1 free per quart. Same deal applies to Valvoline Synpower.

Regarding filters
1. What brand of oil filter should I look at purchasing? Should I buy from the dealership?

**If it makes you feel more comfortable, get the part number for the Lexus filter and purchase it at the Toyota dealership. When I used to use them, I would purchase 3 filters for $4 apiece.

I changed over and now use the Mobil 1 EP filter, which is available at AutoZone. I like it because if offers excellent filtration and because I can remove it by hand, which comes in handy on the V6 RX330.

2. Who makes the oil filters for Lexus? I read that Denso makes two different kind, one for Lexus/Toyota, and one of a higher quality for their own brand.

**If memory serves, I think both Denso and Purolator make the Toyota/Lexus OEM filters.

3. When changing oil, do you need the oil filter wrench? My previous car was an Acura and I didn't need it, but I haven't done anything with Toyota/Lexus so I don't know.

**The first oil change, I needed a filter wrench on our 04 RX330, but haven't used one since. As I said above, the Mobil 1 uses a synthetic gasket and will come off without a wrench, which works great for me ... but, YMMV.
Old 09-30-07, 08:38 PM
asianrage
Driver

I/we do a lot of highway driving. I think we racked up over 10K miles in the last 6 month and that's with around 300+ miles a week. So quality filtration is a definite requirement.
Old 09-30-07, 09:33 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

HWY miles are the easiest on the oil.
On filters, go with K&N or Mobil 1 unless you can get Japan made Toyota OEM. You can buy better filter for the $ paid for the Thailand and US made OEM filters.
I would use dino only if it is free after rebate, for Group III synthetic such as PP I would only pay $1 per quart. I would pay Group IV synthetic such as German Castrol and Mobil 1 SL (not the current SM rated) < $5 per quart. Anything above you are paying too much.
Old 10-01-07, 09:02 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is there a difference between an OEM oil filter sold at the parts counter of a Lexus dealer and its counterpart sold over at Toyota dealer's parts counter?

What exactly defines filter's ability to be better than others?
Old 10-01-07, 04:14 PM
asianrage
Driver

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
HWY miles are the easiest on the oil.
On filters, go with K&N or Mobil 1 unless you can get Japan made Toyota OEM. You can buy better filter for the $ paid for the Thailand and US made OEM filters.
I would use dino only if it is free after rebate, for Group III synthetic such as PP I would only pay $1 per quart. I would pay Group IV synthetic such as German Castrol and Mobil 1 SL (not the current SM rated) < $5 per quart. Anything above you are paying too much.
So K&N Oil Filter or Mobil1 Filter. It's not a filter insert but a full replacement version, right?

What's "PP"?
Old 10-01-07, 04:32 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kostyan
is there a difference between an OEM oil filter sold at the parts counter of a Lexus dealer and its counterpart sold over at Toyota dealer's parts counter?

What exactly defines filter's ability to be better than others?

The difference between the two filters ..... cost. Same part number between the Lexus and Toyota filters (for the V6).

As to what defines an ability to filter, the type of media utilized. Again, I prefer the Mobil 1. It is the exact same filter as the K&N, but $2 cheaper.

Still, you can't go wrong with the OEM Toyota filter.
Old 10-01-07, 04:33 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Originally Posted by asianrage
So K&N Oil Filter or Mobil1 Filter. It's not a filter insert but a full replacement version, right?

What's "PP"?
Yes, the Mobil 1 is not a cartridge, it is a full spin-on filter.

PP = Pennzoil Platinum (synthetic motor oil from Pennzoil).
Old 10-01-07, 06:23 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding oil

1. Here is my take on this. The American Petroleum Institute, API, rates oil and if you look in my owner's manuals it states to only us a "fill in the blank" weight of oil (Lexus is 5W-30) meeting API specification of "XX". These API ratings change as new requirements are added by the manufacturer. The API code is on each container of oil. Years ago, I think it was Consumer Reports stated essentially that any oil meeting the current API requirement was ok. That said, I stick with only the major oil companies and specifically Mobil 1 in my cars, although I have no issue with Chevron.

See my response to question 1. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 only. I have read good things about Royal Purple but I like Mobil 1.

3. Coupons? Deals?

3. None that I know of.

Regarding filters
1. NAPA stores sell a great oil filter, imho. It has survived many oil filter analysis with flying colors. I use their premium filter. Another good filter when I can't get to NAPA is Wix. Get them at Advance Auto, Auto Zone, NAPA, etc.

I found that the oil filter remover that looks like the end of the filter, with a 3/8" socket hole in it works well. I have used the oil filter "pliers" in the past on other cars but not on the Lexus.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
Old 10-03-07, 07:39 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by asianrage

What's "PP"?
cdnewton beats me answering your questions.
Napa Gold is an excellent filter, better design with thread end bypass valve, silicon anti drain back valve, and large inlet holes for the same $ as OEM (except those made in Japan).
Passenger Car Motor Oil is ~80% base oil and rest additives. Anytime oil company change the composition, the performance differs. If you check the Virgin Oil Analysis, you will see they are all different. Example and the link

http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...e=0#Post474179

Oil go on sale periodically at CSK or Autozone. Last time I bought PP was $0.99 after rebate at Kragens, I loaded up 5 cases.
Here is a forum that people post on oil deals.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...=0&Board=UBB35

Last edited by TunedRX300; 10-03-07 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-04-07, 06:15 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I just signed up for oil forum, great site!