RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Black sandy build-up under oil cap

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 10:24 AM
lindamen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black sandy build-up under oil cap

Please help me confirm my worry. I bought a 2004 certified Lexus RX 330 less than a month ago and opening the oil cap today I saw a thick black oily build-up inside the cylinder head?.Taking the oil cap ,you'll see it inside. I touch the stuff and some would come off like sand saturated with oil. What is this crap?.Is this what you call carbon build-up?.It only has 36000 mi. on it.
Old 09-20-07, 10:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

That sure sounds like carbon built up. It can be clean but its not cheap.
Old 09-20-07, 11:05 AM
Tom H
Rookie

Oil Sludge? I suggest taking it back to the dealer ASAP for a diagnosis and solution. It should be under the certified vehicle warranty.
Old 09-20-07, 11:28 AM
lindamen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
That sure sounds like carbon built up. It can be clean but its not cheap.
What is the process of cleaning out carbon build-up?
Old 09-20-07, 12:09 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this is in fact a Lexus certified vehicle, I'd be hot footing it back to the dealer and let them handle the issues.
Old 09-20-07, 02:51 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

DEALER issue right NOW
Old 09-20-07, 03:53 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lindamen
1) Could you post a picture to confirm whether it is sludge
2) If it is sludge, ask dealer to pull the valve cover for inspection.
3) Auto-RX can slowly disolves sludge and deposit them into oil filter, but since you are CPO, try 2) if 1) is confirmed
Old 09-21-07, 06:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Does your engine ping? Thats a sure sign of severe carbon build up on the cylinder head. If it is a mild case then chemical treatment can get rid of it. If it is a severe case, you will need to remove the cylinder and scrape it off. Ask the dealer for their opinion.
Old 09-21-07, 08:20 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Please help me confirm my worry. I bought a 2004 certified Lexus RX 330 less than a month ago and opening the oil cap today I saw a thick black oily build-up inside the cylinder head?.Taking the oil cap ,you'll see it inside. I touch the stuff and some would come off like sand saturated with oil. What is this crap?.Is this what you call carbon build-up?.It only has 36000 mi. on it.
Your post has caused a bit of confusion ..
cylinder head ..> inside the cylinder (one has to open up cylinder head after removing the valve train).
Valve cover ..> is the thing that the oil filler cap i screwed in.

Correct me if I am wrong ... you are seeing oil lumped up ... gell like as you peer through the oil cap hole.

Salim
Old 09-21-07, 12:34 PM
Ron_Texas
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tom H
Oil Sludge? I suggest taking it back to the dealer ASAP for a diagnosis and solution. It should be under the certified vehicle warranty.
I agree, go to the dealership and let them look at it. A couple of months ago Toyota (read Lexus too) settled on a class action law suit of engines that clogged up with sludge, they will replace the engine up to 100,000 miles, no charge. I read about it on Edmonds and covers the V-6 and 4 bangers.
Old 09-21-07, 02:15 PM
lindamen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Your post has caused a bit of confusion ..
cylinder head ..> inside the cylinder (one has to open up cylinder head after removing the valve train).
Valve cover ..> is the thing that the oil filler cap i screwed in.

Correct me if I am wrong ... you are seeing oil lumped up ... gell like as you peer through the oil cap hole.

Salim
I brought the car to the dealership this morning. Tech removed the valve cover and found that the inside is perfectly clean and I'm told that the black sandy build-up I saw when I removed the oil cap was just a coating and that that was just how the car was designed.What keeps me from being convinced is that when I touch the stuff, some of it would come off like grit. has anyone have an '04 330 with something like this?. When you remove your oil cap do you see any black sandy stuff in there or it just look clean?. and I mean if you look iside where the oil cap is, do you just see clean metal?
Old 09-21-07, 02:24 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

I brought the car to the dealership this morning. Tech removed the valve cover and found that the inside is perfectly clean and I'm told that the black sandy build-up I saw when I removed the oil cap was just a coating and that that was just how the car was designed.What keeps me from being convinced is that when I touch the stuff, some of it would come off like grit. has anyone have an '04 330 with something like this?. When you remove your oil cap do you see any black sandy stuff in there or it just look clean?. and I mean if you look iside where the oil cap is, do you just see clean metal?

If you are talking right inside the oil cap, we have the film on our RX330 and have since purchased new.
Old 09-21-07, 06:48 PM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest asking for second or third opinion at Toyota/Lexus, and other dealerships.

Does anyone have any details on that law suit, and which VIns are affected?
Old 09-22-07, 09:32 AM
lindamen
Driver School Candidate

O.K everyone, I was called by the service advisor yesterday to look at the upper internals of my engine to prove that there was no oil sludge or anything and as shown, the engine is very clean and in perfect condition.The carbon build-up that I saw as the technician explained and did a pretty good presentation of how the whole engine parts work and all that is a by-product of unburned oil and fuel which he explained that how the engines design would be cycled back and burned (He said it's all emission thing)They even printed a complete vehicle service history(the car has been at their service dept faithfully) So that cleared my worries and my thanks to all of you who tried to help.
Old 09-22-07, 09:12 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I see this all the time, dont worry about sludge. when you start your car and you see smoke in the tail pipes for a few minutes then goes away, thats when you should start worrying about sludge.

Quick Reply: Black sandy build-up under oil cap