RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What is normal Braking technique?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-07, 08:09 AM
tgdaman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is normal Braking technique?

I'd like some opinions on this one........
My car is an 08 RX350 with 1k miles, its new. I baby my cars, but to my wife a car just a tool. That's why I almost never let her drive our newest car. It keeps peace in the family.
Well, I had to let her take the RX to work because I needed to take her car in for service. I pulled the RX out of the garage onto our sloped driveway for her, put on the emergency brake and put car into Park. She gets in, I review the controls with her. OK, she's ready to go. She immediately releases the emergency brake, without her foot on the standard brake. The car rolls hard against the transmission in Park. I go ape. Then of course the car has to crunch hard to get out of park into reverse.
So am I wrong here, I thought EVERYBODY knows that you have your foot hard on the brake when releasing the emergency brake, ESPECIALLY on a hill.
And, she drove a stick shift for many years in the past.
Opinions, please.
Old 09-13-07, 08:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Lol, a little thing like that is not worth fighting about.
Old 09-13-07, 08:28 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Eh, no need to go ape. You tell her once, now she knows. I know what you mean though, I "babied" my RX for the first few months... but now I'm over it lol.
Old 09-13-07, 08:55 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

All of us at one point in time were so **** about things like these. As you age...you kind of let go.

I hate driveways with inclines....hate them bad! I have one. The good thing is that I have a level landing. My sister in law has one steep driveway right of the garage door....so I park on the street and let everybody huff and puff doing up the driveway...sorry.
Old 09-13-07, 09:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Its easier and cheaper to get a new driveway than a new wife
Old 09-13-07, 10:54 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

How much does a divorce cost these days?
Old 09-13-07, 12:20 PM
tgdaman
Rookie

Please,
No one has yet answered my question.........is it or is it not common procedure to have your foot on the brake when releasing or setting the emergency brake and shifting into gear? Especially on an incline?
Thanks, but don't need anymore psuedo-marriage counseling.
Old 09-13-07, 12:33 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tgdaman
Please,
No one has yet answered my question.........is it or is it not common procedure to have your foot on the brake when releasing or setting the emergency brake and shifting into gear? Especially on an incline?
Ok I won't point you to the DIY Divorce site then.

I do have my foot on the brake when I release the emergency brake. This is awkward for me as I left foot brake normally and I need to use my left foot to release the emergency brake but that's what I do.
Old 09-13-07, 12:49 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Please,
Lol, yes, it is normal procedure, but nothing to go crazy about.
Old 09-13-07, 12:55 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

there is not rule...

it may be bad for whatever stops the car from going forward...

but it wont damage the car unless you do it like 5 gazillion times on practically 90 degree inclines. lol

as a rule of thumb, this is what i do to prevent that from happening. when parking on a hill, release the brake (when having it in park) slowly so that the car lurches forward a little bit. when it is completely still, then push the parking brake. this will prevent the car from moving down the hill any farther, but you have already taken into account the lurch forward. so when you start the car again, it doesnt matter what order you do, brake first, or parking brake first.
Old 09-13-07, 01:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I don't need to mention that Mexico City is full of slopes and inclines. When I get a chance, I plan to photograph some of the slopes that some vehicles (like the mainstay classic VW Beetle) cannot get up without another car pushing. One of them is right near where I live.

As such, I always use the brake before disengaging the emergency brake.
Old 09-13-07, 01:59 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

I'd like some opinions on this one........

Opinions, please.
You asked for it...

Parking procedure.

Foot on brake, move shifter to Park, [Curb the wheels ... important on slopes], engage auxiliary brake, remove pressure from brake pedal, turn off.

Driving off:
Turn ignition to ON, check all warning lights are working, look at gauges, turn ignition to start, see all warning lights go off, Foot on brake, engage gear, release auxiliary brake ... ensure every one is buckled up, check for traffic and bear off by removing pressure on the brake pedal (turn signal etc).

The above steps will prevent unnecessary force on the transmission.

Just keep a balance in life and ensure your reaction(s) take into account the relative importance of things. [an advice much easier given ]

Salim
Old 09-13-07, 02:36 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really like to take care of my cars. My hobby is modding them and entering a car show here and there. That said, my wife does some really annoying things with our cars at times. Inside it bothers me, but I usually just tell her that is bad for the car, or mentioned that she parked too close to the curb and curbed the aluminum rims. You can always fix the car, buy new rims, but if your wife is really the one, you can never replace her. The first time she curbed my 3 piece JDM forged rims I was kind of heartbroken, but I never made a big deal about it. Since than she has curbed almost every rim on cars that she drives. Oh well, life goes on and that gives me the opportunity to buy new rims

Other pet peeves of mine is when she reverses and puts the car in a forward gear while the car is still slightly rolling backwards. When she cuts the corner in a parking lot and scrapes the side wall with the rear 1/4 panel. Other than that, I never go ape. I just tell her she has to learn to be more careful and look at the wall in the side mirror, then go fix the car. Every time any of my cars go into a body shop for repair, I take that opportunity to make it better than what it was. Usually by adding some sort of after market part.

Seriously, you can't go ape every time your wife does something stupid with the car. Otherwise you'd drive yourself crazy every single day
Old 09-13-07, 02:56 PM
Tadich
Driver School Candidate

This is one thing that I really don't like about my RX (2007). The parking brake is not very good. I too have an incline on my driveway, although it's not too steep. All of our other cars have never had any roll when we engage the parking brake.

For the record, I put the car in park with my foot fully on the brake pedal, then fully engage the parking brake before removing releasing pressure on the brake.

The Lexus has always had a bit of roll in it even after the parking brake is engaged. Is this normal for this model? I had already planned to discuss it at the next service.
Old 09-13-07, 03:05 PM
tgdaman
Rookie

Thanks to all for the replies. Looks like I am right per concensus.

To CK6Speed:
LOL, you have worse problems than me. Thanks for cheering me up.

Quick Reply: What is normal Braking technique?