RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

why buy an RX instead of the new Highlander?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-07, 11:23 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the old highlander looked better though not by much.
Old 09-15-07, 02:13 AM
asianrage
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't buy the new Highlander because it looks fugly. The interior is so so.
Old 10-08-07, 09:07 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I think you have decided for the Toyota Highlander. Good luck. None of us can convince you. That's ok, too. One less RX on the road.
2 billion minus 1 ain't gonna make a diff . It seems as though there are more RX's than any other type of vehicle ever made in these parts..
Old 10-09-07, 05:56 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I was to choose between a RX and new Highlander, I would buy neither now. I would wait for the next generation RX.

I anxiously awaited for the '08 Highlander and I was seriously thinking about the hybrid. After seeing it, I think the car is just plain ugly and without character. I never liked the styling of the earlier Highlanders, but I have to say I like it more than the '08's styling. Although I haven't seen a single '08 Highlander on the road, I imagine it will appeal to some soccer Moms who rather have it than a minivan, although this Highlander seems to be more minivan than SUV.
Old 10-09-07, 10:18 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

to my own surprise, i think the highlander looks good in person. i especially like the interior ...
Old 10-09-07, 10:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The interior of the Highlander does look nice, but no nicer than the RX. The exterior of the highlander I am not sure about, kind of looks like a RAV4 design that went bad.
Old 10-09-07, 12:43 PM
cariesfree
Rookie

The traffic was slow, so I decided to check out the new highlander. After reading these posts, I was disappointed. IMO, it looks no where near the RX inside out. The door does not shut/open as smooth as the RX. Can't really describe it but it feels cheap. The interior doesn't give the impression that the RX's gives you. The back looks like an old Hyundai Santa Fe. The front looks too flat and wide open like a Subaru Outback. I didn't test drive it but I doubt that it drives like the RX. I guess everyone has different taste and I'm sure the highlander is a decent vehicle, but it's ridiculous to compare with the RX. Also, high 30s is too much for a highlander. 4Runner is probably a better buy.
Old 10-09-07, 12:49 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The sales numbers for the Highlanders actually drop 27% for the month of Sep. I know that its only the 1st month for the new Highlander, but it is definitely not a good trend.
Old 10-09-07, 07:35 PM
Tom H
Rookie

Originally Posted by The G Man
The sales numbers for the Highlanders actually drop 27% for the month of Sep. I know that its only the 1st month for the new Highlander, but it is definitely not a good trend.
I think GMC pulled the rug out from under Toyota this year with the newly released Lambdas. The Acadia especially is a very hot seller rite now. I test drove them both and I thought the Acadia absolutely blew the Highlander away in every category. The ride comfort and handling was amazing. If I had a bit more confidence in GMC long term reliability I would choose the Acadia over the RX350 and Highlander without hesitation. In terms of features, functions, roominess and ride comfort it stood above the pack.

I just checked the CarMax new cars sales site and they are selling the Highlander at $200.00 to $300.00 over invoice already. That is very unusual for a car that is this new and especially for a Toyota. The tides are turning. IMO both Toyota and Lexus are resting on their name and past history of quality and reliability but are currently not delivering the kind of product that earned that reputation. I haven't bought a American made car in almost 30 years but I was very tempted this time around.
Old 10-10-07, 02:09 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i sat in a new highlander at a auto show and thought that the inside is nice. Someone said its not as nice as the RX, that goes without saying since the RX does cost more, makes sense right? The outside of the car is one of the ugliest things to come out of the CALTY design studios which is saying a lot since they've made some major fkups in the past.
Old 10-10-07, 04:59 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom H
I think GMC pulled the rug out from under Toyota this year with the newly released Lambdas. The Acadia especially is a very hot seller rite now. I test drove them both and I thought the Acadia absolutely blew the Highlander away in every category. The ride comfort and handling was amazing. If I had a bit more confidence in GMC long term reliability I would choose the Acadia over the RX350 and Highlander without hesitation. In terms of features, functions, roominess and ride comfort it stood above the pack.

I just checked the CarMax new cars sales site and they are selling the Highlander at $200.00 to $300.00 over invoice already. That is very unusual for a car that is this new and especially for a Toyota. The tides are turning. IMO both Toyota and Lexus are resting on their name and past history of quality and reliability but are currently not delivering the kind of product that earned that reputation. I haven't bought a American made car in almost 30 years but I was very tempted this time around.
I saw an Acadia on the road recently and I was surprised and impressed by the styling. Like you, I haven't bought an American car since the early 80s. But for my next car purchase, I'm going to keep more of an open mind and look at the competition. Although I'm happy with our Lexus', I agree their new car quality has dropped.

Last edited by DaveJ; 10-10-07 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-10-07, 05:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Speaking of keeping an open mind, let wait til the 09 RX come out before we start bashing Lexus
Old 10-10-07, 05:37 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I must say that my head turns quite a few times recently looking at the new GM series of SUV's. I was staring at a VeraCruz and the Saturn SUV side by side at a Costco, nicely equipped.

VeraCruz $36,000.00
Saturn VUE $41,000.00

Will I buy one of them, NOT. At least not in the next 2 years. We'll see how Toyota and Lexus will react to the challenge....this is really good for us.
Old 10-10-07, 08:01 AM
Ron_Texas
Rookie

I have to agree that GM is moving in the right direction, I looked at the Buick version of the GMC and Saturn new SUV and was very impressed. The Buick version was just released when I looked at it and not many at the dealerships (this was June 07) but I saw many features the RX has (leather, real wood, double laminated glass, etc.) at a greatly reduced price. Now the car magazines are saying the Buick is quieter, roomier and better priced than the RX .

I will disagree that GM vehicles are less reliable, I had a 2002 GMC Envoy that I sold to a friend, I rode in it this past weekend and it rode smooth, no rattles and get this, has not been in the shop and it is 6 years old (I bought it Nov 2001). I remember I paid under 27,000 and that is not a bad return on the investment.

Now I am not saying that GM is the same overall as Lexus, but it is not that bad either. I think it is a good value for the dollar that is all. Also remember Toyota is not infallable, they have gotten away with not annoucing recalls like Ford and GM do, now we find out that a large class action suit was lost by Toyota over the sludge problem with the V-6 (same one used in the Lexus) and they will be paying out some big bucks to replace many engines. Not a stellar design when it comes to crankcase ventilation it appears.
Old 10-10-07, 08:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

If all you are doing is comparing features and price on a car, then the Hyundai is right up there too. Same features and options for less more. Built quality and long term relieability have to be considered, thats where the JD power long term relieability survey comes into play. One or two GMC lucky owners does not make GMC the top truck, overall Lexus and toyota still have better relieability than GM, but GM is starting to gain some ground. Let see if Toyota will notice and start to pull away again or just play dead.

Quick Reply: why buy an RX instead of the new Highlander?