RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

why buy an RX instead of the new Highlander?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 12:59 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ werd. Test drive them then get back to us. All the features in the world wont help if the car just doesnt feel as good as the other.
Old 09-12-07, 02:09 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get laser cruise in the RX? i hate the way the new highlander looks like. someone should burn the calty design studio down. so many ugly cars coming from there
Old 09-12-07, 06:09 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
there is no source for my spring 2008 comment. however, the RX series has always come out in April...always. and it is definately a 2009 model...so why would it come out in spring of 2009. usually, it comes out the year before, so since it is a 2009 model, it will most certainly come out in 2008.

however, dont quote me seeing how i dont work for lexus nor any car publication source. i just use my own head.

whoever has a name you know!
Maybe this can help to support your 'early 2008 release date' for 2009 RX . PLease read the last paragraph.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116536
Old 09-12-07, 06:46 AM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by SugarRush
Maybe this can help to support your 'early 2008 release date' for 2009 RX . PLease read the last paragraph.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116536

That article was from August 2006. My Spring 2009 date is more recent information.

Both SUVs drive about the same. Close enough anyway where there is no meaningful difference for me.

Features are what matter to me. I find it essential to have things like bluetooth and navigation, but also smartkey, mp3 input, memory seats/mirrors, height adjustable seats. Unfortunately I can't get them all in same small SUV right now.

Finding out that the Highlander doesn't have memory seats is huge minus for me. (I think it is a good safety feature when more than one person drives the car) and makes me inclinded to wait for the new RX which should have all the things I listed as important.
Old 09-12-07, 06:58 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by zmisst
Features are what matter to me. I find it essential to have things like bluetooth and navigation, but also smartkey, mp3 input, memory seats/mirrors, height adjustable seats. Unfortunately I can't get them all in same small SUV right now.
You can get all of them except smartkey with an RX350 and a VAIStech box.
Old 09-12-07, 09:42 AM
d6500k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmisst

Finding out that the Highlander doesn't have memory seats is huge minus for me. (I think it is a good safety feature when more than one person drives the car) and makes me inclinded to wait for the new RX which should have all the things I listed as important.
If features are the most important thing for you, maybe you should be looking at domestic car instead of japanese?

Check out this link:

http://compare.autodata.gmcanada.com...ave%2Foverview

It compares 4 vehicles on all the features and is probably what you are looking for.
Old 09-12-07, 11:09 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

err perhaps go with the acura MDX since it is just redesigned. that car doesnt look have bad.
Old 09-12-07, 03:33 PM
steiner
Driver

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
I find it is ironic that people buy for status, image, and fashion but are perfectly proud on having the the identical look and feel as tens of thousands of other RX owners.
How much status and image does one gain by wearing the same clothing, shoes daily. .

I don't know if you own a Lexus or not. If you do, you can not deny the fact that you bought status.

It's true that your car is not one of a kind and there are many identical cars on the road with you. But the image is you are in a more exclusive club of drivers. I don't actually count but I am sure there are less Lexus than Toyota on the road. Just like when you wear a Polo shirts, it is not unique but it is not in the same class as Walmart's brand. A lot less people would wear the same shirt than the Walmart's.

It is just a fact of life. You buy Lexus now until you get reacher. Then you will want an even more exclusive club than Lexus. May be a Lotus. Not one of a kind exactly, but then there are a lot less of them to compare with Lexus. On and on.

If you own a Yugo, it is a different story. But if you have a Lexus, at least be honest to admit you are a human who get drawn into the image/status cycle. It's not that bad. It's not even an exclusive club. Everybody is in there.
Old 09-12-07, 03:51 PM
javanutsy
Rookie

Status is automatically attached to material things that are harder to acquire. The more difficult it is to acquire, the more status. I think that is the general consensus, whether we like it or not...
Old 09-12-07, 07:42 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by steiner
I don't know if you own a Lexus or not. If you do, you can not deny the fact that you bought status.

. . . But the image is you are in a more exclusive club of drivers.

. . .

Just like when you wear a Polo shirts, it is not unique but it is not in the same class as Walmart's brand. A lot less people would wear the same shirt than the Walmart's.

. . . You buy Lexus now until you get reacher. Then you will want an even more exclusive club than Lexus. May be a Lotus. Not one of a kind exactly, but then there are a lot less of them to compare with Lexus. On and on.
Wow, you Lexus owners sure are an articulate group of car enthusiasts. You all clearly have great detailed knowledge about your vehicles. Thanks for sharing that knowledge and giving such helpful information to assist me in making my decision.
Old 09-12-07, 08:50 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow, you Lexus owners sure are an articulate group of car enthusiasts. You all clearly have great detailed knowledge about your vehicles. Thanks for sharing that knowledge and giving such helpful information to assist me in making my decision.
i think i senes some sarcasm...lol

if you wanted to just look at features, then get off this forum and go to toyota.com and lexus.com and compare it yourself. features are easy to find online, what we are giving you is stuff you cant find on any othe website- what it feels to be a lexus owner.
Old 09-12-07, 10:21 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by steiner

It's true that your car is not one of a kind and there are many identical cars on the road with you. But the image is you are in a more exclusive club of drivers. I don't actually count but I am sure there are less Lexus than Toyota on the road. Just like when you wear a Polo shirts, it is not unique but it is not in the same class as Walmart's brand. A lot less people would wear the same shirt than the Walmart's.

It is just a fact of life. You buy Lexus now until you get reacher. Then you will want an even more exclusive club than Lexus. May be a Lotus. Not one of a kind exactly, but then there are a lot less of them to compare with Lexus. On and on.

If you own a Yugo, it is a different story. But if you have a Lexus, at least be honest to admit you are a human who get drawn into the image/status cycle. It's not that bad. It's not even an exclusive club. Everybody is in there.
IMHO if one needs a car to validate his status, it is the same mentality teenage boys compare size of you-know-what by pulling down their pants.

I have a Lexus, but I also understand it is just a brand designed by Toyota engineers, made in Toyota plants with Toyota parts. My $ paid to Lexus dealer went to the income statement and warranty liability went to the balance sheet of Toyota in 2000. When Toyota had sludge warranty on 1mz-fe, both Highlander and RX300 was hit because both use the same engine.
To me, if Lexus RX does not land me tangible benefits over the Highlander, it is an inferior product that costs more. And I don't need to spend $ thousand to buy a bad product just to make sure others think I am rich.

As for sarcasm, that is exactly what BMW owners think of a stereotypical Lexus owner. Now that you have succeeded in alienating a potential Toyota owner, which fuels the stereotyping with an real world example!

Last edited by TunedRX300; 09-12-07 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-13-07, 06:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think that most Lexus owners don’t really care about status, notice I said most, not all owners. People who buy Lexus are usually more sensible people who is looking for value and a reliable car. They have done their research and know which car will give them the bang for the buck.
I think people who are concern about status usually drives cars like jaguar or Range Rovers. These cars put them in a unique group, but it is not the most reliable cars.
Old 09-13-07, 06:46 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by The G Man
I think that most Lexus owners don’t really care about status, notice I said most, not all owners. People who buy Lexus are usually more sensible people who is looking for value and a reliable car. They have done their research and know which car will give them the bang for the buck.
I think people who are concern about status usually drives cars like jaguar or Range Rovers. These cars put them in a unique group, but it is not the most reliable cars.

^ Very well said. For example: my parents are in that 'unique' category, not because they want to show IT off. In their line of business they need to show that they are good in what they do to our clients and want to project peace-of-mind that they will not run away with clients' money.

Back to the main topic. I think zmisst (the original OP) will need to test drive the vehicle and decide from there. On paper spec and photos (and this forum) will not help you to make the decision.
Old 09-13-07, 09:36 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

You have mentioned the best recommendation...test drive the cars and your intuition will decide which car you feel will make you happy.

Quick Reply: why buy an RX instead of the new Highlander?